World's largest iPhones appear in Apple store windows (photos)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the anticipation ahead of next week's iPhone launch reaching near epic proportions, staffers for Apple retail spent the better part of Thursday evening rearranging store planograms and erecting massive iPhone replicas inside store windows.

At some of the larger locations, teams of as many as 10 people worked well into the early morning hours on Friday, adorning the Apple outlets in all things iPhone. This included setup of 4-foot tall iPhone displays, which are essentially hollow iPhone shells fitted with LCD displays to mimic the device's 3.5-inch touch screen.

Stores also received new iPhone tee-shirts that were expected to be distributed to employees Friday. At some point, tipsters claim the outlets are will also consolidate their iPod displays to a single table, making room for iPhones at the frontmost portion of the stores.

A number of photos taken of the new window displays can be seen below. In the bright morning sun, however, it was difficult make out the imagery on the large LCD screens. On the other hand, the displays should catch everyone's eye during the evening hours.

An Apple staffer wipes fingerprints from a gigantic iPhone display Friday morning at the Apple Store Sagemore in Marlton, NJ.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    nice...

but what happened to that huge iphone poster that was hung in the cube of the nyc 5th avenue store for a few days last winter?

i went by yesterday for the first time, half expecting to see it back up there.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    i dont think it would be very practical to have a phone that big. seems a bit bulky to me... :P
  • Reply 3 of 48
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

i dont think it would be very practical to have a phone that big. seems a bit bulky to me... :P

I want one. Really badly.

Does it really work, or is it just a tv in a case?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I really appreciate the photos of the plug and the electrical outlet. I'm really disappointed there aren't any photos of the switch that turns the electrical outlet on.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    gah! that thing's as big as a Foleo!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Doh!

Those aren't iPhone replica's their the new iMacs. Aww Multi-Touch iMac here I come.

Back on topic; those are awesome, and I want one. I wonder if they rotate in place to show coverflow and what not. Doubt it but that would be cool.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I imagine it is a Mac Mini inside the iPhone case showing a video onto the display.

More esoteric and fanciful concepts include the Mac Mini running an x86 version of the iPhone's OS X, using resolution independence to scale the display to the resolution of the display used.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    <Insert your favorite retro cell phone joke here>

• Reply 9 of 48
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I imagine it is a Mac Mini inside the iPhone case showing a video onto the display.

More esoteric and fanciful concepts include the Mac Mini running an x86 version of the iPhone's OS X, using resolution independence to scale the display to the resolution of the display used.

That is why Apple can't discontinue Mac Mini's.

I just wish they had hidden the powercords in fake to-scale earphones.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Is this going to be one long week or what?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    That has got to be the best promotional display that I have seen in years! It's going to drive some of the competition nuts - especially those guys that have the little stands in the malls trying to sell another brand within sight of these iPhones.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That's not at ALL too big to be practical. Apple's just playing catch-up to Microsoft here:

http://secondverse.wordpress.com/200...cking-surface/

• Reply 13 of 48
    Or is it the iTouch myMac. I sure hope the intro goes off without too many hitches. This is such a hugh opportunity for Apple. I sure hope they don't end up crushed in defeat over the next coupe of weeks. It is hard to imagine not stumbling with so much hype having been built up over the past weeks. I realize now why Apple would rather say nothing up to the moment of intro.

I'm sure others will disagree about Apple's role in this but can you imagine if Apple had tried to build the hype on the iPhone. Unless this turns out to be a story book release Apple may become even more secretive in the future.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Okay, embellishing on the title just a bit, aren't we, AI?

It's not an iPhone. It's a replica.

Plus, before today I could've created the largest iPhone in the world as long it was a millimeter thicker. It's not THAT great on an accomplishment.

-Clive
  • Reply 15 of 48
    tcltcl Posts: 18member
    Nice to see your local Apple Store on AppleInsider (for good reasons).

Looks like a creative use of 30" Studio Displays to me... anyone get a measurement on those giant iPhone displays?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcl View Post

Looks like a creative use of 30" Studio Displays to me... anyone get a measurement on those giant iPhone displays?

Probably running Flash...
  • Reply 17 of 48
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    1000 songs in the trunk of your car. iPhone mega.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wonder how much these things will go for on ebay.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    In news just to hand - a woman in Toronto has reportedly given birth to iPhone triplets. Unconfirmed witness accounts suggest the event may have been the result of a virgin conception. Even more remarkable, the event, if confirmed, has taken place before the official release date of the much anticipated handsets in the US and before any official announcement as to when it will be available in the Canadian market.

There is considerable speculation as to whether the handsets contain functioning SIMs and for which network.

Apparently a large contingent of Apple legal representatives have descended on the hospital having arrived from the US on a private jet. They are claiming custody of the triplets but hospital authorities are refusing to allow them access to them or the mother. A hospital spokesman said the Triplets are all doing well and that the mother is in good health, though is a bit bemused and disconcerted. The spokesman said they would provide all appropriate support including counseling, but said they were having some difficulty sourcing suitable chargers and have appealed for assistance from the public.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

Y'know, the one Steve showed was just a prototype. These represent the final form factor... is good, no?