TextEdit? in OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
why do they call this text edit when you can't even open up a text file created with another program. for example, maybe i want to open a bbedit file up in. i can't do it. i mean i'm triyng to open an html file to edit in there and it just renders the hml. strange.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    antel0peantel0pe Posts: 19member
    My biggest problem with that app is that i cant get it to save plain old text files, just RTF....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i was messing around with it today and just discovered that. i can't save a file with html extension. i don't understand what apple is doing with this
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Huh? :confused: I think you guys are glossing over the options and missing some of the nicer features of TextEdit.

To open an HTML file as the raw source, simply open the Preferences and check "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files."

To save as a plain text file, you first need to select "Make Plain Text" from the Format menu. Then you can save it however you want, with whatever file extension you choose.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    it didn't work when opeing an html file, so i also had to check Plain Text under new Document format, and then it did

thanks for the help!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    antel0peantel0pe Posts: 19member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

To save as a plain text file, you first need to select "Make Plain Text" from the Format menu<hr></blockquote>

Doh, now i feel dumb, thanks man...