Apple offers 25-minute iPhone guided tour

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Friday posted a video to its website offering prospective iPhone buyers a 25-minute guided tour of the handset. We've compiled a listed of interesting tidbits revealed in the step-by-step demonstration.

View the video

The guided tour is available via Apple's iPhone website, which continued to see additional refinements on Friday.

Notable mentions:iPhone ships with a stereo headset that features a microphone and integrated button that lets users answer and end calls easily. It can also be used to control audio and video playback.

If a call comes in while music is playing, the volume will fade out and the iPhone will pause the music. A single click on the headset button will answer the call. A second click will hang up and fade the music back in right where it left off.

iPhone can be locked by pressing the Sleep/Wake button. Once locked, iPhone will still receive calls and allow users to play music and adjust the volume. However, nothing will happen if the user accidently touches the screen.

To completely power off iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds. Then, drag the red on-screen slider to confirm.

Users can change the order of iPhone lists, such as favorite phone numbers, by drag-and-drop.

iPhone's visual voicemail feature allows users to scroll through recordings in realtime using an onscreen progress slider.

If already on a call when second call comes in, iPhone's on-screen software allows users to ignore the second call or place the first call on hold while taking the new call. A handy onscreen "swap" option then provides an easy way to alternate between the two callers. Similarly, a "merge calls" option will merge the two calls into a conference call.

When listening to a specific song in iPod mode, iPhone offers an on-screen button that will display a playable listing of all tracks from that same album.

iPhone will automatically switch to CoverFlow mode when the device is positioned in landscape view under iPod mode.

Movies play only in landscape view.

Hot buttons at the base of the iPod mode software interface can be custom configured like toolbars in the Mac OS X Finder.

Photos taken with iPhone can be used as wallpaper, emailed, or assigned to a contact in the handset's address book.

Mail includes built-in readers for viewing PDF, JPEG, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel files. It also features the same action sounds as the current version of Mail running on Mac OS X Tiger.

Tapping on a phone number included in an email will automatically call that number.

It does not appear as if "Maps" will determine your current location using AT&T's wireless network.

Maps includes a "Traffic" button that provides an update on current driving conditions. Green lines on the map indicate traffic is flowing smoothly while yellow and red lines mean problems ahead.

You can turn off iPhone's network features so it can be used safely on an airplane.

iPhone comes pre-loaded with an assortment of ringtones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 139
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's one that I hadn't seen confirmed before: You can view Word docs sent via email attachments.
  • Reply 2 of 139
    Oh my...I just finished watching it and think I've wet myself! LOL

Seriously watching that, how could anyone NOT get excited to have one?
  • Reply 3 of 139
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Agreed!

OMG, SciFi ringtone!!! Love it.
  • Reply 4 of 139
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It must have a GPS-style system too then if it can give you step by step instructions on where to go even if it's not using the GPS system but possibly some sort of solution based on mobile phone triangulation. Unless it just reads out the route similar to how someone would if you stopped and asked them at the side of the road.
  • Reply 5 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It must have a GPS-style system too then if it can give you step by step instructions on where to go even if it's not using the GPS system but possibly some sort of solution based on mobile phone triangulation. Unless it just reads out the route similar to how someone would if you stopped and asked them at the side of the road.

Doesn't it do just what Maps does on the web? You put in a starting address and an ending address. It figures it out from there. Why do you need a GPS for that?
  • Reply 6 of 139
    Does the iPhone have any type of video recording capabilities? I haven't seen it mentioned.
  • Reply 7 of 139
    Everything looks great except for the pre-loaded ringtones.

I didn't see anywhere in the settings allowing you to customize your ringtones. That would be disappointing...
  • Reply 8 of 139
    I've neither read nor seen anything about password protection of the phone.

e.g. email privacy or code activation of the phone if in particular.

There are likely to be security issues in companies and certainly there are personal privacy and theft concerns where passwords would be important.

~Innersongs
  • Reply 8 of 139
    Hmmm.....nothing on the calendar feature. Hopefully that just means it's as easy to use as iCal.
  • Reply 10 of 139
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Doesn't it do just what Maps does on the web? You put in a starting address and an ending address. It figures it out from there. Why do you need a GPS for that?

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.
  • Reply 11 of 139
    Quote:

It's just that it said it gives you step by step instructions on where to go. How would it know when to tell you which turn to make unless it knew where you were? Like I say, it might just read them out at once but the demo looked a bit like a GPS device.

It knows where you are because you tell it where you are. That is the "starting address". Where you are going is the "ending address". Step by step instructions are possible with just that information.
  • Reply 12 of 139
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Everything looks great except for the pre-loaded ringtones.

I didn't see anywhere in the settings allowing you to customize your ringtones. That would be disappointing...

I agree. But there's a "ringtones" tab when you plug the iPhone into iTunes, so I assume that's at least how you would get new ringtones onto the phone. Whether or not you can use standard MP3s or AAC files as ringtones has yet to be determined.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple let you choose any file you like. If they want to make money on ringtones, then get popular artists to record special ringtone tracks exclusively on iTunes, or something. Don't take away what should be a basic feature just to sell ringtones.
  • Reply 13 of 139
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

The step by steps are just a list of turns. You have to advance from one to the next manually, with a tap on the arrow.
  • Reply 14 of 139
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    So what about the SIM card? Is it user-installable or built in? Is there a cover that goes off?
  • Reply 15 of 139
    Quote:

There's a button that takes you to the next or previous step, you have to push it manually, no GPS

That traffic feature is going to be sooo useful...
  • Reply 16 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I agree. But there's a "ringtones" tab when you plug the iPhone into iTunes, so I assume that's at least how you would get new ringtones onto the phone. Whether or not you can use standard MP3s or AAC files as ringtones has yet to be determined.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple let you choose any file you like. If they want to make money on ringtones, then get popular artists to record special ringtone tracks exclusively on iTunes, or something. Don't take away what should be a basic feature just to sell ringtones.

Definitely. If I had to pay for all the ringtones I've created my for myself in the last year I'd be out at least 50 bucks.

It's nice being to edit a particular part of a song or chorus to get that "perfect ringtone."
  • Reply 17 of 139
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

So what about the SIM card? Is it user-installable or built in? Is there a cover that goes off?

Do you have an Apple remote? Change the battery.
  • Reply 18 of 139
    I agree. It's nice to be able to make any ringtone that you want and load it on your phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Definitely. If I had to pay for all the ringtones I've created my for myself in the last year I'd be out at least 50 bucks.

It's nice being to edit a particular part of a song or chorus to get that "perfect ringtone."

I didn't see any folders on the phone where one would store ringtones, but I'm sure it's there, somewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 139
    jrainejraine Posts: 2member
    Does anyone else have some reservations abou the model they chose? he's so... sterile.

That being said, I'm dying up north waiting for this phone!
  • Reply 20 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jraine View Post

Does anyone else have some reservations abou the model they chose? he's so... sterile.

That being said, I'm dying up north waiting for this phone!

...yeah, where's the "beautiful hand" model from the original iPhone photos? <---(Hairy hands are what have kept me from becoming a hand model, too.)

And why does this new guy ("Bob"?) need to be married? He's nowhere near cool (or charming) enough to be symbolic of Steve.