Does the new dock retract?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does the new dock disappear when you are not using it if you so choose?

Does it still have the enlarge icon feature if you so choose?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'd imagine so. There's no need to remove that functionality.

I'm wondering how the shelf looks when the dock is positioned on the right/left of the screen. Does it go away? The original dock? Multiple shelves?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I'd imagine so. There's no need to remove that functionality.

I wouldn't be so sure. Apple one let you shade just the folders. Now you can't do it unless you buy a 3rd party program.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What I'd like to know is does your window go down behind the dock when it's visible. Personally I hide the dock, but if it wasn't like the current situation I wouldn't hide it anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What I'd like to know is does your window go down behind the dock when it's visible. Personally I hide the dock, but if it wasn't like the current situation I wouldn't hide it anymore.

I'm pretty sure it does. I'm just going by memory here, but did Jobs specifically show a window going behind the dock to show off how the window reflects in the dock?

Edit: Yes, Jobs showed Safari moving down behind the dock to show how Safari makes a reflection in the dock.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    In Leopark the Dock has a feature called iForeskin. It expands or retracts based on your general computing excitement. I think it should have been branded a Top Secret feature.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nroose View Post

Does the new dock disappear when you are not using it if you so choose?

Does it still have the enlarge icon feature if you so choose?

yes disappear is there if you turn it on, yes, magnification is still there.

dragging window behind dock: must be a bug, if you mess with the settings, (turn on magnification or auto hide) you can, but by default, no, its quite disconcerting because it 'stops' your window above the dock, seemingly too high above it. I think this will change to drag behind when its fixed.