iPhone to feature glass surface, 8 hours of talk time

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    kisekikiseki Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftbotsb View Post

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. This is nothing new. This is Media Manipulation. They didn't just switch to glass. The battery life didn't just suddenly get better. They knew about this all along. This is maintaining and generating a level of hype that no one else does better. Not even Hollywood.

PREDICTION: The final prelaunch CM will feature Maddox (as in Jolie-Pitt) using an iPhone to

video-call his famous parents...
  • Reply 62 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

They could have used diamond coated glass. That's been around for a while, and isn't that expensive. The layer is only about 0.00004 inch, and is durable. It's applied by a gas evaporation method at low temperature.

Do we know what type of glass they are using or its durability?
  • Reply 63 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I wish.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Actually I was under the impression the iPhone's screen was glass all along, so the fact that they say it got upgraded to glass surprises me. I'm trying to think of the name of the podcast where I heard those guys talking about it? They said it was a European manufacturer, and that it was specially toughened-glass, this was about two or three months ago though, they (not Apple, but these guys) definitely said it was glass. Who makes the capacitive touch panel, anyone of you know?
  • Reply 65 of 90
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually I was under the impression the iPhone's screen was glass all along, so the fact that they say it got upgraded to glass surprises me. I'm trying to think of the name of the podcast where I heard those guys talking about it? They said it was a European manufacturer, and that it was specially toughened-glass, this was about two or three months ago though, they (not Apple, but these guys) definitely said it was glass. Who makes the capacitive touch panel, anyone of you know?

Hopefully its that mineral glass used on the SE T650 camera lens. Very durable and scratch proof.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiseki View Post

PREDICTION: The final prelaunch CM will feature Maddox (as in Jolie-Pitt) using an iPhone to

video-call his famous parents...

I'm sorry, who's Maddox?
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:

Just another example of how poorly Apple is offering information about the iPhone. They make an announcement ("We're using glass!") and leave it at that, making everyone wonder what type, durability, thickness, scratch-resistance, etc, etc, etc.

As for battery time, keep in mind that's under perfect usage. As in, you can make a single 8 hour phone call while in close proximity to a tower. I know my phone runs power down quicker (even when not being talked on) when it strains to find/keep a weak signal. iPod performance is based on "Turn on repeat, hit play, now don't touch it!"
  • Reply 68 of 90
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftbotsb View Post

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. This is nothing new. This is Media Manipulation. They didn't just switch to glass. The battery life didn't just suddenly get better. They knew about this all along. This is maintaining and generating a level of hype that no one else does better. Not even Hollywood.

Honestly I think the battery life is kind of news within Apple. They have to measure the battery time on a final product, with final software. I guess the software must have been in different beta stages up until a couple of weeks ago. The glass surface I agree though can't be a last minute change.

The good thing with a normal Nokia phone with exchangeable plastic enclosure is that you can drop in on hard concrete or asphalt and the enclosure will keep the phone safe from damage, it's like a helmet that reduces the shock. These extremely slim and tightly designed products coming up such as iPhone, and plus with a glass surface... I'm afraid they might crack on the first drop...
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:

Just another example of how poorly Apple is offering information about the iPhone. They make an announcement ("We're using glass!") and leave it at that, making everyone wonder what type, durability, thickness, scratch-resistance, etc, etc, etc.

I just read in a scientific magazine, I cannot remember the name of the magazine. A former design manager for Apple spoke about their design process. He said Apple will seek out all types of obscure materials and manufacturing processes. He said Apple would look into materials that are not really used by any one because of how expensive they are. Or manufacturing processes that are experimental and get the manufacturer to ramp the experiment into a large scale process. Its possible the iPhone will use some exotic glass that few are currently using.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by racheryn View Post

Canada: launched in 1867 (but no word on when we'll be renamed iCanada).

Actually, unnamed sources may have begun to report that the rebranding effort could suggest that the new name will possibly be "oCanada."
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:

I just read in a scientific magazine, I cannot remember the name of the magazine. A former design manager for Apple spoke about their design process. He said Apple will seek out all types of obscure materials and manufacturing processes. He said Apple would look into materials that are not really used by any one because of how expensive they are. Or manufacturing processes that are experimental and get the manufacturer to ramp the experiment into a large scale process. Its possible the iPhone will use some exotic glass that few are currently using.

Great! Now we know how Apple keeps their prices up! They use expensive and obscure processes and materials!
  • Reply 72 of 90
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Great! Now we know how Apple keeps their prices up! They use expensive and obscure processes and materials!

EDIT: They use shiny, new, exciting processes and materials!

You need a kool-aid refill!

• Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:

Yes that is true.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

They said it was high quality optical glass.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    Why would they release this unit with only 4 or 8 Gb? Tell me I shouldn't wait for a true all in one unit with the 30 or 80 Gb of the current i-Pod .

Big_Al
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Why would they release this unit with only 4 or 8 Gb? Tell me I shouldn't wait for a true all in one unit with the 30 or 80 Gb of the current i-Pod .

Big_Al

Cost.

If you want to wait a few years, by all means, do.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Cost.

If you want to wait a few years, by all means, do.

Please explain Cost. Cost to develop? Cost to purchase? I'd be willing to shell out more for higher capacity now. I wouldn't want to get one now, and have them come out with the higher capacity in 6 months. Could be a tactic on their part...release the lower capacity unit, then many of the early adopters will "upgrade and spend" again to get the higher capacity, which Apple should have come out with in the first place. It's like putting a carbuerator in a new model car, when the older models have had fuel injection.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Please explain Cost. Cost to develop? Cost to purchase? I'd be willing to shell out more for higher capacity now. I wouldn't want to get one now, and have them come out with the higher capacity in 6 months. Could be a tactic on their part...release the lower capacity unit, then many of the early adopters will "upgrade and spend" again to get the higher capacity, which Apple should have come out with in the first place. It's like putting a carbuerator in a new model car, when the older models have had fuel injection.

apple isn't developing flash memory, they are buying it.

It's way too expensive to put that much memory in now.

How much extra would you spend?

Another $100 for 16 GB?

$200 more for 24 MB?

$300 for 32 MB?

$400 for 40 GB?

Would you spend $1,000 for a 40 GB iPhone? More?

As memory continues to come down in price, Apple will install more, just as they've done with the iPods, and computers.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    30GB or 80GB of flash is asking for a lot.

But at the same time Apple has had flash memory in the iPod nano that cost the same as the nano itself. They have the power and influence to negotiate for more expensive memory if they wanted to.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Quote:

30GB or 80GB of flash is asking for a lot.

But at the same time Apple has had flash memory in the iPod nano that cost the same as the nano itself. They have the power and influence to negotiate for more expensive memory if they wanted to.

Well, the Nano is a small, fairly cheap device, that probably doesn't cost much more than the memory inside.

The iPhone is a much larger, far more complex design, with a graphics system, including LCD and multitouch surface that costs much more than the memory inside.