Manually Connecting to Internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am interning in Tbilisi, Georgia for the summer. In my office, the internet TCP/IP has to be configured manually, as well as the proxy servers. The IT people, who had never seen a Mac before and don't speak English, set up the TCP/IP and the proxy serves, as well as set manual settings for network configuration on Firefox. The internet works fine on firefox, but my other applications that use the internet (iTunes, iChat, Mail, Dashboard, etc.) are unable to connect to the internet, and display a timed-out error message when connection is attempted.

Although I am an avid Apple fan and user, I am not much of a techie and would really appreciate any advice anyone could give. I am here for a few months and thats a long time, for me, to go without new widgets, new songs, and in general the glory that is my 17'' Powerbook.

If any more information is required, I will be monitoring this thread regulary and will do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    Look up what is the proxy address and port in Firefox.

Then go to System Preferences > Network > Select your NIC > Configure > Proxies and add the proxy to all protocols you need.

Please note: this depends on how local guys have setup that proxy, some protocols may be not supported.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues View Post

Then go to System Preferences > Network > Select your NIC > Configure > Proxies and add the proxy to all protocols you need.

Please note: this depends on how local guys have setup that proxy, some protocols may be not supported.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so in firefox they have no proxy set for 192.168.1.2; I put this into system preferences under the "bypass proxy setting" line; ichat/itunes still cannot access the internet. Is there something else I need to/could do?

Tim
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bluesblues Posts: 40member

The bypassing part is not interesting.