NEW - iPhone Apps Manager and Apps List

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://matthewpeach.com/iphone/

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time post. This is an iPhone "app" that I've been working on for the past few days. It allows you to manage a list of your favorite iPhone apps seperate from your Safari bookmarks. It also has a full built-in list of iPhone apps that can been added directly to your favorites list. You can add your own "apps" that might not be listed and sort them however your desire.

I know there are a few people who have already beat me to this, but I didn't want to release it until most of the bugs where out and the features were complete for what I think is a solid first version of the "app".

I look forward to adding more features to it in the future such as:

1. An easy way to identify newly added iPhone "apps" in the full list of apps since the last time you visited the list.

2. A rating system of some sort.

3. Filtering by category once more "apps" are available

4. A way to submit an app to the full list.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Great Job. I like the look of everything.

OT: I wish I knew how to make my own apps, not just for the iPhone but for anything.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fuckin' excellent! This app manager in itself is the best third party iPhone web app I've seen. Great great job!

Two things however.. one minor, one major:

1. when I click 'edit' that button should change it's name to 'done'

2. The URL for this amazing site should be shorter, better and ultimately more catchy (for your sake).

If you want this site to be a success, http://matthewpeach.com/iphone/ as a name just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

In case you are curious 'aria'? APPLIST.ORG is available!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    aria505aria505 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

1. when I click 'edit' that button should change it's name to 'done'

I'm glad you all like it. Great advice on the edit button! I'll definitely make that change. This was really just for fun, but i think i will look for a domain name for it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Sweet. iLike.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Looks like a winner to me.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    I'd even pay money for it! Great job.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I'm glad to hear the good response.

I just completed building the category filter so that the apps are separated into groups. You can still press the "show all iphone apps" group and see all the apps at once.

I'm not completely happy with how the groups are implemented though. I keep wanting to click on the "favorite apps" bar to get back to the group list instead of pressing the group button in the top left-hand corner.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's some more feedback:

1. When the 'edit' button changes to 'done' it should be blue, not red. Red implies the button itself will be deleted, or the toolbar itself may disappear, the same way when you'd press the 'x' buttons. The button doesn't disappear, it just becomes 'edit' again. When your in edit and you drag an app up or down, that's the color blue I'd recommend you make it.

2. The name you give this app (or domain you give it) is as important as the app itself in my opinion. You should definitely look into a domain, it's a great idea, people should see this thing! There's loads of good domains available for this kind of thing, if I was you I'd go for something relative. Though something different or catchy is never a bad idea either. IPHONEAPPMANAGER(dot)COM isn't taken at this point, I think it soulds even better than IPHONEAPPSMANAGER, with the 's', which is also available. You need not worry that it's not a short domain, cause people need only type it in once, then bookmark it.

3. When inside a particualr group, say 'News' for example. The header reads "iPhone apps" it should read "News", you are inside the group called "News" after all. The button that reads "Groups" should read "Done", should be that blue color I mentioned, and should take you back home to your favorites, not back to groups. The toolbar that reads "favorite apps" should read "Back to groups", and should take you back to your groups when tapped.

4. On your favorites home page, the toolbar reads "all iPhone apps", it should read "groups >".

5. When on the groups page the header reads "iPhone Apps", it should read "Groups" in my opinion. Similarly when on the home/favorites page, I think the header should read, simply, "Home". When you transition to the various sections of the app/site, the header could simply do a fade in transition upon changing it's name. When at "Home", you click "groups >", the header word "Home" fades out, and the word "Groups" fades in. When in Groups, you click "News", the header "Groups" fades out, and the header "News" fades in.

I think it's only a matter of fine tuning this app, your implementation and design of it is amazing, and it's great fun. I'll give you more feedback soon, tell me what you think of my suggestions.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Can anyone test if this site is working?!

Nothing seems to work and the javascript console has lots and lots of the following error messages:

-------

Can't find variable: Effect

http://matthewpeach.com/iphone/main.js

-------

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Can anyone test if this site is working?!

Nothing seems to work and the javascript console has lots and lots of the following error messages:

-------

Can't find variable: Effect

http://matthewpeach.com/iphone/main.js

-------

Dave

You caught me while I was updating a few things. It should work for you now.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aria505 View Post

You caught me while I was updating a few things. It should work for you now.

Wow awesome work indeed! And I've already gotten hooked on that texas holdem game (that I had no idea even existed).

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Ireland - Thanks for the comments. I updated the UI for the categories now and it works much smoother.

I also have http://iphoneappsmanager.com for the domain now.