Time Machine in an Emergency

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I haven't been able to find the answer on Apple's website.

Say you're running Leopard with Time Machine enabled, using an external HDD connected via USB. If your primary HDD fails, but the backup one is safe and sound, is it possible to grab data from the backup drive as you would normally, or does it have to be "linked" up to a new OS X install?

Just wondering how easy it is for emergency data recovery in freakish circumstances.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

I haven't been able to find the answer on Apple's website.

Say you're running Leopard with Time Machine enabled, using an external HDD connected via USB. If your primary HDD fails, but the backup one is safe and sound, is it possible to grab data from the backup drive as you would normally, or does it have to be "linked" up to a new OS X install?

Just wondering how easy it is for emergency data recovery in freakish circumstances.

Thanks.

1) Replace internal hard drive.

2) Boot holding Option (or Menu on the remote), and choose the external drive.

3) Download Carbon Copy Cloner while booted from the external drive.

4) CCC will clone every file to the new, blank drive. Restart and boot normally.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

4) CCC will clone every file to the new, blank drive. Restart and boot normally.

Sure but that would also copy all the duplicate files too wouldn't it? Like all the older versions of files. I reckon there must be a way to boot from the Time Machine HD and restore just the latest files.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    The files on the backup drive are stored in normal folders by date. In each date folder is the contents of your main drive as of that date. (Think hard linking.)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    I would imagine that the filesystem on the TimeMachine backup dore will not be bootable, but that Apple will solve the problem of recovering from a drive failure.