Updated Cinema Displays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if there is a pattern with respect to how often Apple has released new displays?

I feel like we must be getting close for another update.

And with the upcoming release of the new iMacs that will have a touch-screen, I wonder if new displays will soon follow, also with touch-screens.

And thoughts anyone?

I was thinking of getting one but if there is a chance new displays in the next six months, then I can wait.

Also, as more and more displays get cheaper and cheaper, the Apple Displays get further out of range of the price point of the average display. My brother just purchased a new 22" Display that looks great and cost somewhere in the $200 and something dollar range. It seems to me, either Apple has to bring down the price soon, or they have to add a new feature, like the ability for it to be a touchscreen, or both, in order for Apple to remain competitive in the Display market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    In addition to the possibility of the Cinema Displays getting a touch-screen feature, a proximity sensor, like that for the iphone, seems like a very likely possibility.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technolo...ture=feature04
  • Reply 2 of 27
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber View Post

In addition to the possibility of the Cinema Displays getting a touch-screen feature, a proximity sensor, like that for the iphone, seems like a very likely possibility.

I doubt very much that new iMacs will be touchscreen based solely on the cost of panels at 20 inches and greater in size.

What on earth would be the advantage of a proximity sensor for a desktop touchscreen panel? The sensor is there to disable the touch input when objects (a face) are near to prevent accidental input (e.g., when talking on the phone).
  • Reply 3 of 27
    gostangostan Posts: 15member
    I am hoping that there will be some type of information soon on updated cinema displays as I am looking to add the new 24" Apple Cinema Display to my desktop with my new led MacBook Pro. I just sold my 20" IMac and will find waiting for the new 24'er difficult.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a pattern with respect to how often Apple has released new displays?

I feel like we must be getting close for another update.

And with the upcoming release of the new iMacs that will have a touch-screen, I wonder if new displays will soon follow, also with touch-screens.

And thoughts anyone?

I was thinking of getting one but if there is a chance new displays in the next six months, then I can wait.

Also, as more and more displays get cheaper and cheaper, the Apple Displays get further out of range of the price point of the average display. My brother just purchased a new 22" Display that looks great and cost somewhere in the $200 and something dollar range. It seems to me, either Apple has to bring down the price soon, or they have to add a new feature, like the ability for it to be a touchscreen, or both, in order for Apple to remain competitive in the Display market.

Quote:

Why in the heck do you think they'd have iMacs, let alone Cinema Displays, with touch screens? No one will want to reach up and across their desk in order to do something on their computer. Not to mention that touch screens in those sizes will be extremely costly. Touch screens are simply impractical on a desktop. It's not going to happen. It's good for portables, and maybe even laptops, with the right development in the next year and a half or so, but absolutely not for desktops. Get your cinema display now, and have fun.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    I have my AmEx card ready for whomever can first bring me:

- a 30" or larger LCD display

- LED backlighting

- decent (i.e., Apple Cinema or better) color

- HDMI would be nice, but is not a requirement

- must cost substantially less than a car

...so far, Samsung is leading the pack--but I'd prefer it if Apple released an LED 30" Cinema Display.

Otherwise I'd just buy the existing 30" Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    So your Am Ex card will be ready for at least 4 years. LED backlighting isn't even available for a 17" display yet... because of costs. Costs on a 30" LED display will be so terribly huge, it won't happen for Cinema Displays for some time, 4 years at the earliest, probably.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Well, Sony has been using LED backlighting on some of their very large Bravia LCDs for the past two years, and the cost isn't unreasonable.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    How about cinema displays with built-in iSight? I think they're on the horizon; Apple discontinued the external iSights for a reason...
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

Well, Sony has been using LED backlighting on some of their very large Bravia LCDs for the past two years, and the cost isn't unreasonable.

Link?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

So your Am Ex card will be ready for at least 4 years. LED backlighting isn't even available for a 17" display yet... because of costs.. Costs on a 30" LED display will be so terribly huge, it won't happen for Cinema Displays for some time, 4 years at the earliest, probably

17" size is aimed for consumer units where cost is a factor.

30" is for professional use where quality is the primary factor, cost secondary.

There is no reason technically why a 30" LED panel couldn't be produced under the Apple brand by the end of the year, or next year, it'll just be *very* expensive initially until prouction gets ramped up.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

There is no reason technically why a 30" LED panel couldn't be produced under the Apple brand by the end of the year, or next year, it'll just be *very* expensive initially until prouction gets ramped up.

And people will immediately start complaining how this new display is overpriced or underspecced regardless of how good it might be.
  • Reply 12 of 27
  • Reply 13 of 27
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

No. Don't be thick.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

How about cinema displays with built-in iSight? I think they're on the horizon; Apple discontinued the external iSights for a reason...

Yeah, that happened how long ago? With how many Cinema Display revisions afterwards? Maybe there's a reason it hasn't happened for so long - because it's not going to happen. Think about it... the Cinema Displays are designed for professional use - the video/photo editors, the web developers, the animators, etc. What use do any of them have with an iSight in their monitor?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

17" size is aimed for consumer units where cost is a factor.

Not on the MacBook Pros... notice "Pro" is even in the name.

Quote:

Samsung XL30 LED-backlit display:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...lit-244450.php

Show me a price? I've searched and can't find one, but their 20" LED model is $1600 as it is, surprisingly steep for a 20". That's a grand more expensive than Apple's 20" CD. I doubt many, if any, people will think it's worth $1,000 more for a display just because of LED backlighting...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd expect some features, like HDMI, are locked to Leopard. Then the hardware is revved to include HDMI output and displays with HDMI input. Cameras, not sure but something will happen on that front.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Yeah, that happened how long ago? With how many Cinema Display revisions afterwards? Maybe there's a reason it hasn't happened for so long - because it's not going to happen. Think about it... the Cinema Displays are designed for professional use - the video/photo editors, the web developers, the animators, etc. What use do any of them have with an iSight in their monitor?

Not on the MacBook Pros... notice "Pro" is even in the name.

Show me a price? I've searched and can't find one, but their 20" LED model is $1600 as it is, surprisingly steep for a 20". That's a grand more expensive than Apple's 20" CD. I doubt many, if any, people will think it's worth $1,000 more for a display just because of LED backlighting...

Yeah, and its also $1600 for the non LED 30", and by adding LED backlighting, the cost would go up a lot (double? 2.5X?). I do not know about you guys but buying a monitor for >$3,000 is very unreasonable for me, no matter how nice it is.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Original ACD 22" started out at $4,000. ACD 30" started out at $3,199. I'd be willing to pay $3,000 for 30" with LED-backlighting.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Original ACD 22" started out at $4,000. ACD 30" started out at $3,199. I'd be willing to pay $3,000 for 30" with LED-backlighting.

I wish I had $3000 to spend on a monitor. [/mode=mutters under breath] Stupid rich people.[end]
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

No. Don't be thick.

I second that!!!
  • Reply 20 of 27
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Costs on a 30" LED display will be so terribly huge, it won't happen for Cinema Displays for some time, 4 years at the earliest, probably.

I think the thing that everyone is missing is that the LCD TV people are going to LED backlighting. So yeah, for the brief window of time when they first come out and are "exotic," they'll be expensive.

OTOH, with Samsung, Sharp, Sony and others stamping out 42" LCD panels like mad, one has to wonder exactly how long it will take for the LED prices to drop like a stone. Economies of scale, etc. I mean, backlighting LED needs should scale as a function of area, right? 42" panels have 96% more area than a 30" panel!

My guess? Apple will only need to overcharge for a 30" LCD for a short while. Either that, or be undercut by Samsung, Dell (shudder) and others.