Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
how do I mount or convert .uif files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Use MagicISO for Windows:

http://filext.com/file-extension/UIF

You need parallels, Bootcamp or a PC. You can try renaming it to a .iso and see if that mounts, it works with some PC formats.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Is there no OSX app?

I not well informed about using WIndows on the mac - do I need to have a full version of XP or Vista to install? What's the very minimum I can get away with? I don't want to fill my machine up with Windows OS when I rarely plan to use it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Is there no OSX app?

I don't think so. It seems to be a proprietary format much like .dmg is proprietary to Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I not well informed about using WIndows on the mac - do I need to have a full version of XP or Vista to install? What's the very minimum I can get away with? I don't want to fill my machine up with Windows OS when I rarely plan to use it.

The best idea would be to use Parallels but you still need Windows and I'd recommend XP. The installation should come to about 2-3GB. You can always back this image up to DVD and then delete it off your drive. Then when you need Windows, just copy it back.

The procedure would go as follows:

- get Parallels and install

- insert the XP CD and let it run (takes about 45 minutes)

- you now have an XP image about 2-3GB

- you can back it up now or install some stuff first

- install MagicISO for example (it's not free either btw so you'll only be able to convert/burn small images unregistered)

- edit the .uif

- to backup, burn the 2-3GB image to disc. To use Windows again, simply copy it back into the same place if you decide to delete the copy on your drive.