Which LCD display to buy for graphics/imaging?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Firstly, I don't know much about monitors and the tech side of things, just that my old LaCie 21" CRT is on its last leg. I have a MacBook Pro 17", 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, about a year old, and need a new monitor for graphics work, image adjusting befor sending to pre-press/printing and some high-end photography work + inkjet printing.

I've set my eyes on some terribly expensive displays, especially Eizo ColorEdge 240W. Also, LaCie 526 and NEC 2690 looks good, but even more expensive, albeit somewhat bigger. 24" widescreen is big enough for me, though.

Then, of course, we have the Apple Cinema Display 23" to a much lower price.

Usually, quality is reflected in the price (at least to a degree), so what is the difference between the Eizo/NEC/LaCie and the ACD, apart from the 24"/26" vs 23"?

Another thing that tilts me towards the Eizo is their 5 year warranty - that truly is peace of mind.

Any compatibility issues?

Will of course consider buying a calibrator for the fine-tuning, as well and get a proper colour managed work-flow.

Any experiences and advice, anyone?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    If you are a graphics professional be very carefull with the purchase of an Apple Cinema 23" Display..

I bought one, the sides are darker, kinda like a dark cloud coming in about 2-3 inches, causeing color issues, and there's a 2-3% increase of the magenta in the middle right quarter...

So basically, color uniformity is out the window.

I've returned it, and the girl said she didn't see a problem, as it looked like it was supposed to look.. and I'm thinking, it's supposed to look broken?

Anyways, they took it in and sent it off to a repair depot. I'm hoping those people actually have eyes that can see color correctly.

Professional buyers beware!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I would concur that it's extremely difficult to find a reliable 23" Cinema Display.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the various claims that Apple makes in it's marketing materials are untrue ? but I've yet to see a 23"er that lives up to their hype.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johan Siebke View Post

Firstly, I don't know much about monitors and the tech side of things, just that my old LaCie 21" CRT is on its last leg. I have a MacBook Pro 17", 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, about a year old, and need a new monitor for graphics work, image adjusting befor sending to pre-press/printing and some high-end photography work + inkjet printing.

I've set my eyes on some terribly expensive displays, especially Eizo ColorEdge 240W. Also, LaCie 526 and NEC 2690 looks good, but even more expensive, albeit somewhat bigger. 24" widescreen is big enough for me, though.

Then, of course, we have the Apple Cinema Display 23" to a much lower price.

Usually, quality is reflected in the price (at least to a degree), so what is the difference between the Eizo/NEC/LaCie and the ACD, apart from the 24"/26" vs 23"?

Another thing that tilts me towards the Eizo is their 5 year warranty - that truly is peace of mind.

Any compatibility issues?

Will of course consider buying a calibrator for the fine-tuning, as well and get a proper colour managed work-flow.

Any experiences and advice, anyone?

Many thanks!

Eizo is very good and pixel perfect for HD. If you are in graphics, I'd look at their displays! They are less expensive than Apple Displays and in my opinion better!