iPhone to feature glass surface, 8 hours of talk time

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    IPhone also cost two to three times the cost of the nano. Ultimately it depends on Apple's profit margins. If the iSupply numbers were correct there is plenty of room to add more memory. But there is no way for us to know for sure.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

IPhone also cost two to three times the cost of the nano. Ultimately it depends on Apple's profit margins. If the iSupply numbers were correct there is plenty of room to add more memory. But there is no way for us to know for sure.

I never completely trust iSupplies breakdowns. They really only take component cost into account. The rest of their assumptions are always too vague for me to feel comfortable with them.

I did plenty of that, along with my accounting people, and it's much more complex than ISupply makes it seem.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Why would they release this unit with only 4 or 8 Gb? Tell me I shouldn't wait for a true all in one unit with the 30 or 80 Gb of the current i-Pod .

Big_Al

The 30 and 80GB iPods utilize a 1.8" HDD. The iPhone and Nanos utilize Flash. Apple certainly could have made the iPhone HDD-based but that would add to the overall size and reduce the battery life.

Personally, I would rather have a slightly thicker iPhone with longer battery life, 3G, and a HDD. But I'm not Apple.

Unless, of course, I worked for Apple. Then I would keep the ccurrent capacity to prevent unneccesary canibalization of the iPod Video. If the Apple went with a HDD that mirrored the flagship iPod they would only be selling to those you don't want or already have a cell phone.

IMO, the iPhone current size mirroring the Nano Apple has marketed at 4 distinct market segments without killing off any others in the process.
    • Shuffle ? Apple's "gateway" player.

• Nano ? Perfect for the gym/jogging

• w/Video ? High capacity requirements

• iPhone ? Trifecta zelaots

• Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

What will you do if we don't have two more "newsworthy items" in the next two weeks? You seem to be very certain of Apple PR strategy. For my part, I would think the media manipulation is a very dangerous game to play on such a low level as when certain individual features will be announced. For example, what if the media had seized on the low battery life and made it such a big deal that the negative image concerning the iPhone was so widespread that a later change would not be able to erase that public image?

The lateness of this announcement is probably just the result of final QC studies being conducted on manufacturable phone prototypes to ensure that they are able to deliver on whatever they announce and also some public relations skills. If they had known these things in January, I think they would have announced them at MacWorld. If, however, the glass design was finalized in, say, march and they knew they would be able to get the increase in battery life around that time as well, they might have held off on the announcement until closer to the release date.

Me? Certain? I'm wrong most of the time. My wife tells me so. (_WHAT?_) .oh. sorry, i'm wrong all the time. What will I do if I'm wrong? nothing, I expect to be wrong.

News items: 1. YouTube now has a format for iPhone and 10k vids are available.

2. AT&T stores are hiring 2k temps. (why is this news? I don't know but it's everywhere)
  • Reply 85 of 90
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftbotsb View Post

Me? Certain? I'm wrong most of the time. My wife tells me so. (_WHAT?_) .oh. sorry, i'm wrong all the time. What will I do if I'm wrong? nothing, I expect to be wrong.

News items: 1. YouTube now has a format for iPhone and 10k vids are available.

2. AT&T stores are hiring 2k temps. (why is this news? I don't know but it's everywhere)

Whatever your wife may say, , you were spot-on with this one. If anything, two is turning out to be a conservative estimate, since we've still got the announcement of the data and voice plans that will probably be a day or two earlier.

• Reply 86 of 90
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 30 and 80GB iPods utilize a 1.8" HDD. The iPhone and Nanos utilize Flash. Apple certainly could have made the iPhone HDD-based but that would add to the overall size and reduce the battery life.

Personally, I would rather have a slightly thicker iPhone with longer battery life, 3G, and a HDD. But I'm not Apple.

Unless, of course, I worked for Apple. Then I would keep the ccurrent capacity to prevent unneccesary canibalization of the iPod Video. If the Apple went with a HDD that mirrored the flagship iPod they would only be selling to those you don't want or already have a cell phone.

IMO, the iPhone current size mirroring the Nano Apple has marketed at 4 distinct market segments without killing off any others in the process.
    • Shuffle ? Apple's "gateway" player.

• Nano ? Perfect for the gym/jogging

• w/Video ? High capacity requirements

• iPhone ? Trifecta zelaots

I'd rather have the thicker phone with a high cap HDD. I'm looking to cut down on the equipment I have to carry. Adding the capability of a big screen phone to the video i-Pod would allow me to do that. I don't want to have a Bat-Utility-Belt to keep all of my gizmos attached. What does anyone know of the storage capacity of the Samsung Ultra Smart F-700
  • Reply 87 of 90
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, they won't be going to 8 and 16 Gb on release date.

The flash for the phone is very likely faster than the flash for the Nano, which isn't designed for computer-like speeds.

Check out the prices of different speed flash for cameras, you will see how it increases.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Different kind of flash.

From iPhone tear-down:

NAND flash

For example, the 8GB iPhone employs Samsung's 65-nanometer 8-Gbyte MLC NAND flash. "This is the exact same component that was used in the 8-Gbyte iPod nano," the analyst said. "This memory is used to store things like songs, pictures, and videos." Similarly, the 4GB version of the iPhone uses the same 4GB NAND flash chip as the 4GB iPod nano.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    ftbotsbftbotsb Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Why would they release this unit with only 4 or 8 Gb? Tell me I shouldn't wait for a true all in one unit with the 30 or 80 Gb of the current i-Pod .

Big_Al

Since Steve's goal is thru 2008 I don't expect to see or hear any announcements till WWDC 2008 for the new models with 16gb and 32gb flash.

From The Basement of the Science Building
  • Reply 89 of 90
    ftbotsbftbotsb Posts: 8member
    [Apple Marketing VIP's]: "Hmmm, How can we keep it in the news world wide and maintain the hype?" I know! We'll release it in various Countries every quarter just like a movie. First we'll get media hype for the contract announcemnt, then the opening weekend, then the ticket sales results." At least 3 major news items for each country/contract.

Wasn't Zune's first week announcemnt from Microsoft "1 Million Zune's shipped!"

Have we heard a peep from Apple yet? It should be "1M SOLD". 10% of the conservative goal in one week with more than 72 weeks to go.

My prediction for the Voice Recognition package is probably 2 years premature.

From the Basement of the Science Building.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

From iPhone tear-down:

NAND flash

For example, the 8GB iPhone employs Samsung's 65-nanometer 8-Gbyte MLC NAND flash. "This is the exact same component that was used in the 8-Gbyte iPod nano," the analyst said. "This memory is used to store things like songs, pictures, and videos." Similarly, the 4GB version of the iPhone uses the same 4GB NAND flash chip as the 4GB iPod nano.

Well, perhaps it is. But, they still didn't go to 8 and 16Gb, as I said.