2mp Camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

You lot are going of topic. Im surprised its not a bigger phenomenon in the USA. Which can probabaly be said for telecomms in usa aswell. I guess this is the reason that the euro iphone will get 3g.

The OP wondered if the iPhone could do video. That engenders a discussion about whether or not video is a useful (or broadly used) feature, which is certainly on topic.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Here's David Pogues NYT article on iPhone FAQ, where he says video will probably be added by June:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Excellent. Thanks, hopefully it will capture in qvga at the very minimum
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:

Excellent. Thanks, hopefully it will capture in qvga at the very minimum

I'm still curious: what does one do with phone video? Sent clips of your doings to other phones, or embedded in email? If so, does res matter all that much?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Well to an extent yes. I mean im not asking for high quality VGA 30fps or anything.

Just an average 15fps in either QVGA or CIF would be fine. Its handy for when your out and about and fancy taking a clip of something to show someone. Similar to the novelty of a camera on a phone.

I mean the isight gives 30fps recording at VGA so the least apple should do is put in basic 15fps right?

Is it really likely that Apple would leave out this feature period?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    tiptontipton Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm still curious: what does one do with phone video? Sent clips of your doings to other phones, or embedded in email? If so, does res matter all that much?

Phone videos are good for capturing emergencies and spur of the moment incidents when you wouldn't normally be carrying a video camera with you. Many police brutality, disasters, robberies, etc. have been captured with phone videos. Also, the infamous 'Macaca' gaffe was taken with a phone video which cost the Republicans the senate majority in the last election.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Im surprised its not as big in the states as it is over here in the UK. I mean its not huge but its a well used tool in phones.

As you guys will be getting it first when can you expect reivews to triccle through?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

A decent full sized sensor capable of 22MP is a bare minimum.

Come on, that's nonsense, professional photographers have been making a living with 8 to 12 MP cameras for years.....

I have a Canon 350D myself, it's 8 MP and for a consumer SLR it makes for better prints than many analog SLR's.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

Also, why do I care what the quality of the camera is? A camera with a tiny, fixed focal length lens is never going to be great, to me a camera on a cell phone is good for contact mug shots and the odd "hey look at this" sort of snap or possibly emergency field documentation type stuff.

Going from mediocre to slightly less mediocre doesn't seem like a high priority for a phone.

Actually I use the 3.2 megapixel camera on my current phone quite allot. It's great for quick pics when I don't have my DSLR with me. Climbing, biking etc. But where I really use it a lot is when I'm out looking for properties. Drive outside somewhere for sale, snap a pic, Bluetooth to my MBP and add it into a database all within a couple of clicks. For me a half decent camera on the iPhone is a must. 2 megapixels is fine as long as the optics and image processor are good.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Actually I use the 3.2 megapixel camera on my current phone quite allot. It's great for quick pics when I don't have my DSLR with me. Climbing, biking etc. But where I really use it a lot is when I'm out looking for properties. Drive outside somewhere for sale, snap a pic, Bluetooth to my MBP and add it into a database all within a couple of clicks. For me a half decent camera on the iPhone is a must. 2 megapixels is fine as long as the optics and image processor are good.

So any more word on whether it can record video? I didnt see any mention of it on the 25min video and they mentioned the pictures from the camera so im guessing no right?
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:

So any more word on whether it can record video? I didnt see any mention of it on the 25min video and they mentioned the pictures from the camera so im guessing no right?

They mentioned in passing the fact that you can use images produced by the camera for wallpaper and caller ID, but nothing specifically on the camera itself at all-- no interface or camera in use info.

So I think it's still an open question. In fact, the fact that the video excludes such an obvious piece of functionality suggests to me, at least, that information regarding the camera will be one of next week's "surprises".
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

They mentioned in passing the fact that you can use images produced by the camera for wallpaper and caller ID, but nothing specifically on the camera itself at all-- no interface or camera in use info.

So I think it's still an open question. In fact, the fact that the video excludes such an obvious piece of functionality suggests to me, at least, that information regarding the camera will be one of next week's "surprises".

Yes I hope you are right. Although when scrolling there was no camera video section as there as a respective one for pictures. Or maybe they just didnt have any taken on that phone at the time. Or maybe im reading into this wayyyyyy to much and its such a trivial feature they just didnt make a point of announcming it. hahahahaha

PS I thought the surprise was the youtube application? So the secret ting wasnt infact an appication but an actual function(S) on the phone itself?

Impressive

You have no idea how freaking jeaclous I am right now of all you Americans. haha
  • Reply 33 of 42
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

The main thing I do with phone video is to record dance steps from a class I take so I can remember them. It also helps in figuring them out when I don't get them the first time.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Video capture can be used for many things and is a handy tool to have. Res is important to an extent. However with videos only able to play in landscape formate a clip of say CIF or QVGA resolution would look rubbish on the iphone unless it had a big border lol

It would have to be VGA minimum to fit that screen nic. I sights capture in VGA resolution so you never know perhaps indeed this is a surprise we are yet to see in the iphone next week.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I don't think iSight hardware tells us much about what the iPhone will or will not do, since it involves the comparatively vast physical and software room of full size computers.

The iSight camera in a MacBook may seem very small, but the bezel of that screen is all kinds of room compared to the packed environs of a cell handset, and the encoding muscle that can be brought to bear is far beyond what is available to the iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Video capture can be used for many things and is a handy tool to have. Res is important to an extent. However with videos only able to play in landscape formate a clip of say CIF or QVGA resolution would look rubbish on the iphone unless it had a big border lo

Youtube is QVGA, which iphone plays.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Im not talking about playing im talking about the ability to capture video.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Im not talking about playing im talking about the ability to capture video.

Hmm? I thought you posted this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2

QVGA resolution would look rubbish on the iphone

• Reply 39 of 42
    Ok what I meant was say for example the Iphone recorded video in what the average res is among phones - QVGA. It would look rubbish being stretched to the iphones screen size as its only 320 by 240. So what i meant was for a screen that size the minimum a video would haveto be to look good would be either a widescreen version of it WQVGA like in the Prada or VGA.

If they leave out video recording alltogether then i for sure wont be getting this phone.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Ok what I meant was say for example the Iphone recorded video in what the average res is among phones - QVGA. It would look rubbish being stretched to the iphones screen size as its only 320 by 240. So what i meant was for a screen that size the minimum a video would haveto be to look good would be either a widescreen version of it WQVGA like in the Prada or VGA.

If they leave out video recording alltogether then i for sure wont be getting this phone.

Here is what I would like to see as far as the camera goes.

1) take still shots and sync them up to the mac. Wide angle shots are taken by simply turning the phone landscape.

2) take still shots and after selecting a .Mac template, upload 1 or many up to .Mac. afterwhich, i am able to send a webpage invite.

3) take Video and sync up to iTunes Video or iPhoto video via docking. Wide angle video is taken by simply turning the phone landscape.

4) take video and after selecting a .Mac template, upload the video up to .Mac. afterwhich, i am able to send a webpage invite.

5) steaming from iPhone to .Mac. after streaming starts, i can send a message to friends or family to watch the live video. This is awesome technology. If you have not seen this in action, check out www.comvu.com. Sign up now for the free accounts, it is awesome and being able to archive video is fantastic. At some point, you can charge those who choose to watch it too. i have not figured that part out yet, but I am just testing it and don't have any pay-per-view content yet.