Help! Using notebook from England?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My uncles is giving me his used MacBook pro and he lives in England. Am I going to run into problems using the machine here. Other than the electrical aspect.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    bluesblues Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post


    My uncles is giving me his used MacBook pro and he lives in England. Am I going to run into problems using the machine here. Other than the electrical aspect.



    The keyboard is mirrored, Return key is on the left. You are lucky your uncle does not live in "down under". Because laptops down there open up keyboard up/screen down.

    Additionally, the wireless standard in Europe allows more channels, this is illegal in the other side of Atlantic.

    BTW, where do you live? I understand you know how to resolve the location "here" but ... ? If you live in Zimbabwe for instance then you may have electricity problems. Then again, in Nepal you may need a heater to keep it from freezing, in Moscow you'll need a safe or you won't own it for long.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'm guessing "here" is the united states? I don't know but if English keyboards use a different keyboard layout than the American english keyboards, you're gonna have to get used to seeing different characters on the keyboard than the one actually typed.



    And you'll probably have to buy a electricity converter, but those are cheap. Other than that, you'll be fine.



    P.S The previous post is a troll, pay it no mind. It will probably be deleted soon by the admins.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues View Post


    in Moscow you'll need a safe or you won't own it for long.



    Yeah, a bunch of guys broke into my house and tried to take it, but then I like totally gunned them down in the podezd. And then the Militsia came and tried to take it and I had to offer my wife as a bribe, because this is totally still 1995! And then I sold it to Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and he used it to make five billion more rubles. DIKI-KAPITALIZM, ROFL
  • Reply 4 of 8
    You dont need a converter, just change the plug and it will work fine. They are laptops they are designed to work every where (they wouldnt be very portable otherwise!). They are dual voltage!



    I bought my laptop from the states, chopped the plug off with scissors, exposed the three wires and attached a UK plug, the same works going the other way.



    DK
  • Reply 5 of 8
    zakalwezakalwe Posts: 3member
    Hey Footloose, forget what the other guys have said.... but being from the UK do you know that your uncles macbook pro will also be able to understand sacasm without any additional software translation, will be a hit with chicks (they love the accent), and be nowhere near as obnoxious as a US one? Kidding dude (Blues post was funny though ).



    On a serious note cutting off plugs etc may invalidate any existing warranties (esp if it blows up as a result) - just buy yourself an plug adapter (y'know like on the ipod usb adapter thingy), but hey what a generous uncle!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post


    And you'll probably have to buy a electricity converter, but those are cheap. Other than that, you'll be fine.



    Just about every modern Mac (except some early US-bought iMac G5s) has a dual voltage power supply (100 -240volts or so) so no conversion required. The only thing that needs changing is the physical pins on the cable/plug that connects the power brick to the wall. Apple sell them.



    UK Airport cards do have two extra channels but I wouldn't worry about that too much; just change the channel if anyone ever notices.



    To change the OS X dictionary from UK English to US English load TextEdit: Edit menu > Spelling > Spelling... > and select "English" from the drop-down menu (which means US English).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    Just about every modern Mac (except some early US-bought iMac G5s) has a dual voltage power supply (100 -240volts or so) so no conversion required. The only thing that needs changing is the physical pins on the cable/plug that connects the power brick to the wall. Apple sell them.



    UK Airport cards do have two extra channels but I wouldn't worry about that too much; just change the channel if anyone ever notices.



    To change the OS X dictionary from UK English to US English load TextEdit: Edit menu > Spelling > Spelling... > and select "English" from the drop-down menu (which means US English).



    He was speaking about mackbook pro, it's an notebook, it has 85W powerbrick, and is guaranteed by apple to work with currents from 100V - 240V, so 230V(uk) or 110(us) should not make any difference, only thing you need is cheap socket adapter.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bluesblues Posts: 36member
    So the keyboard is not mirrored in the UK?

    I remember when I first time arrived to London. It was late night and I arrived from a country where they give away liquids like palinka and slivovits for nothing. So in the morning I crawl out from that hotel and see a bus stop. I had to go north so I placed myself on the east side of the street. The bus came, stopped under my nose and went SOUTH! Poor brits are having a bad day I thought then.

    Years later I was back again and it still wasn't fixed! Then I received enlightenment: You have left and right swapped! ... hmmm ... computer keyboards are an exception?
Sign In or Register to comment.