Apple's iPhone to wirelessly stream YouTube content

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    hey, i like both YOUtube and iphone also, if wirless can make it moreconvinence. i will don't need the upcoming tool to download youtube video to my iPhone
  • Reply 122 of 141
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

hey, i like both YOUtube and iphone also, if wirless can make it moreconvinence. i will don't need the upcoming tool to download youtube video to my iPhone

it is helpful~guys.thank you . but it is a pity a little relation about iPhone
  • Reply 123 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Basically, 3G is popular in Asia (specifically, 'richer Asia', i.e. Japan and Korea), and is ramping up fairly rapidly from a low base in the US and Europe, with Europe quite a bit further along:

According to industry reports, there are currently 151 3G license holders operating in 56 countries and 207 3G-networks globally, serving a total of 200 million 3G users worldwide.

In Asia, 3G subscribers have reached a market share of 38% while 62% of the total mobile subscribers are 3G enabled in Japan and Korea, respectively.

http://www.quicklybored.com/content/?p=1160

Some graphics:

In the US, 3G still has a-ways to go (we are way behind Japan and Korea in 3G penetration), but guess what'll drive demand for it? Yep, mobile 'internet rich' devices like... the iPhone.

Thanks a lot for those figures. I haven't been home much the past two days. I don't often have time to find this stuff.

I find the numbers to be interesting. Something to think about.
  • Reply 124 of 141
    One thing I think I can say with confidence is that, at least here in the US, for now, most people buying an iPhone will have *never* used 3g . Therefore, they won't have anything to compare the experience to.

When I first bought my Samsung i300, years ago, my internet experience was pretty slow, but the fact that I could get on at all was incredible. I would think that many people will have that same feeling. And, as bad as it may be (I certainly won't give up my present Sprint 3G for it), it's better than the speeds I had gotten several years ago.

Most people will be pretty happy.
  • Reply 125 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing I think I can say with confidence is that, at least here in the US, for now, most people buying an iPhone will have *never* used 3g . Therefore, they won't have anything to compare the experience to.

When I first bought my Samsung i300, years ago, my internet experience was pretty slow, but the fact that I could get on at all was incredible. I would think that many people will have that same feeling. And, as bad as it may be (I certainly won't give up my present Sprint 3G for it), it's better than the speeds I had gotten several years ago.

Most people will be pretty happy.

All that assumes that people won't be comparing the experience to their home or office broadband. Many will, even it is a bit unfair.

That's what happens to a device nicknamed "the Jesus Phone". Expectations are sky high. \

I think it'll be more like, "Many people won't like slow-ass EDGE, but will forgive it because most else about the iPhone is pretty awesome."

• Reply 126 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

All that assumes that people won't be comparing the experience to their home or office broadband. Many will, even it is a bit unfair.

That's what happens to a device nicknamed "the Jesus Phone". Expectations are sky high. \

I think it'll be more like, "Many people won't like slow-ass EDGE, but will forgive it because most else about the iPhone is pretty awesome."

Don't forget that the iPhone is not limited to EDGE, but will auto-connect to open WiFi when available.

I did a rudimentary survey a couple weeks ago with my laptop and iStumbler and found that almost every place I went on a regular basis: home, Dunkin' Donuts, the office and the airport all had free WiFi.

Hell, it might even be cheaper for AT&T to invest in free WiFi hotspots at poplar vendors than it would be to through money at 3G. I'm in no suggesting that and wish AT&T would jump aboard the WiMax bandwagon (4G) instead of waiting for the next big thing come around.
  • Reply 127 of 141
    Quote:

I'm not so sure they will. It's a totally different device, on a different network.
  • Reply 128 of 141
    Quote:

Thanks a lot for those figures. I haven't been home much the past two days. I don't often have time to find this stuff.

I find the numbers to be interesting. Something to think about.

No prob. Though to further clarify some of the numbers:

In the Korea graphic, "3G CMDA 2000 1x", probably isn't. If it doesn't say EVDO, then its likely 1xRTT, or 2.5G. There's still some folks who insist on mis-classifying things. I've heard EDGE referred to as 3G, again, it's not.

Still, you can see from the graphic that 3G (EVDO) is more popular than 2.5G over there, and increasing rapidly.

For the North American graphic, 'CDMA 2000' can refer to both 2.5G and 3G, and the figures aren't broken out for each. If I were to take an educated guess, I'd say only about 10% of the North American market are currently 3G subscribers, but the number is ramping up fairly quickly.

In Europe, 3G penetration rates seem to be a bit better than that, but not by as much as I previously thought. Some countries, like Italy, have pretty decent 3G penetration rates (around 25%), but the average gets dragged down by Eastern Europe and even a few 'rich Europe' holdouts like Greece. \

But over there, as here, its ramping up too. Some predictions I've read say that Europe will be 60% 3G by 2010, but that could be a bit high.

• Reply 129 of 141
    Quote:

I'm not so sure they will. It's a totally different device, on a different network.

C'mon Mel. You know that consumers are neither reasonable, nor logical. \

• Reply 130 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't forget that the iPhone is not limited to EDGE, but will auto-connect to open WiFi when available.

I did a rudimentary survey a couple weeks ago with my laptop and iStumbler and found that almost every place I went on a regular basis: home, Dunkin' Donuts, the office and the airport all had free WiFi.

Yeah, but not everyone lives in larger, tech-savvy cities. It's nice, but I don't think its a full solution.

Also, if a lot more people start using up bandwidth at said free hot spots due to the iPhone, do they all remain free? \

Quote:

Hell, it might even be cheaper for AT&T to invest in free WiFi hotspots at poplar vendors than it would be to through money at 3G. I'm in no suggesting that and wish AT&T would jump aboard the WiMax bandwagon (4G) instead of waiting for the next big thing come around.

They probably won't go WiMax. Their solution for 4G is something called UMTS Revision 8 (LTE), the standards for which are only now being finalized. There'll probably be a year or more gap between Sprint's WiMax network being widely deployed and LTE being in a lot of places, but that's nothing new for ATT/Cingular... they've been 12-18 months behind Verizon and Sprint in 3G deployment for a long time now.

• Reply 131 of 141
    Quote:

C'mon Mel. You know that consumers are neither reasonable, nor logical. \

Who is?

What I meant though, is that while they may think that it's slower, and it is, they will write it off to it being a phone.
  • Reply 132 of 141
    Quote:

Who is?

What I meant though, is that while they may think that it's slower, and it is, they will write it off to it being a phone.

I hope you're mostly right. But I still have the sinking feeling that we're going to be hearing a significant amount of negative comments from "disappointed" users on this subject, and worse, the press will be jumping all over it.

I'm sure Dvorak has his hit piece on this already written.

• Reply 133 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Well, look at the USA Today article you posted. ATT is staking its own fortune on the success of the iPhone. Investing 50 million to speed up EDGE. 200 technicians spending tens of thousands of hours field testing the iPhone. Sending hourly reports back to Apple. There are likely hundreds of other early testers out there using the iPhone everyday. I've read there are way's for Apple to optimize software for ATT network and EDGE's slower bit rate so that it doesn't feel slow. ATT and Apple have both built the hype to a fever pitch and both seem to be satisfied with its performance.

No it won't be as fast as Verizon or Sprint. But for now its likely good enough for the general consumer market. I think excellent design and ease of use will be prove more important than a faster network.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    Quote:

I hope you're mostly right. But I still have the sinking feeling that we're going to be hearing a significant amount of negative comments from "disappointed" users on this subject, and worse, the press will be jumping all over it.

I'm sure Dvorak has his hit piece on this already written.

There always people not happy about an Apple product, and it becomes very public. But while we've seen many articles about Apple's woes with their laptops, and iPods, many of it right here, it doesn't seem to have affected their sales.
  • Reply 135 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well, look at the USA Today article you posted. ATT is staking its own fortune on the success of the iPhone. Investing 50 million to speed up EDGE. 200 technicians spending tens of thousands of hours field testing the iPhone. Sending hourly reports back to Apple. There are likely hundreds of other early testers out there using the iPhone everyday. I've read there are way's for Apple to optimize software for ATT network and EDGE's slower bit rate so that it doesn't feel slow. ATT and Apple have both built the hype to a fever pitch and both seem to be satisfied with its performance.

No it won't be as fast as Verizon or Sprint. But for now its likely good enough for the general consumer market.

It will be interesting to see how much slower these "optimizations" will make other AT&T phones in comparison. I can see a great many current AT&T customers getting pissed but most of them will ultimately purchasing an iPhone instead of switching carriers, IMO.
  • Reply 136 of 141
    Quote:

There always people not happy about an Apple product, and it becomes very public. But while we've seen many articles about Apple's woes with their laptops, and iPods, many of it right here, it doesn't seem to have affected their sales.

You're dead wrong here, Melgross. Apple notebook sales were only up 94% over the previous year instead of 95% because of all these negative comments from nay-sayers.
  • Reply 137 of 141
    Quote:

You're dead wrong here, Melgross. Apple notebook sales were only up 94% over the previous year instead of 95% because of all these negative comments from nay-sayers.

Ya know, I had a feeling I should have said something like that in the post, or someone else would.

• Reply 138 of 141
    Quote:

I think, when things are going well, it's easy to get complacent and assume that you're always doing the right thing. That's right about when things start to go wrong.

Sadly, Andy Grove had it right... "Only the paranoid survive." \

PS-

Oh, and of course, Engadget is already reporting that the iPhone user experience with EDGE is slow, and that YouTube doesn't work well at all on EDGE (well, duh):

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/23/n...ut-the-iphone/

• Reply 139 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No it won't be as fast as Verizon or Sprint. But for now its likely good enough for the general consumer market. I think excellent design and ease of use will be prove more important than a faster network.

I hope you're right, though I personally don't think it's going to be all roses.

Side note: ATT spending 50 million to improve their EDGE network is really not much at all.

Large carriers like ATT and Verizon routinely spend 5 to 6 billion dollars a year on their networks. They have to, or they get left behind.

So, the 'Fine EDGE' program, if it cost that, was less than 1% of ATT's capex this year.

• Reply 140 of 141
    Side note #2:

Anyone else getting tired of the AI forums being down so much? They seem to be on their back more than a Bangkok masseuse, if you'll pardon the comparison.

I've spent a good amount of time over at MacRumors lately, not by choice, and I gotta say that if this keeps up, I may be giving up on AI.

Great site, but what's the point if I end up going over to MR anyway half the time because AI's on the fritz again? Blah.