Apple stores to offer 25 iPhone accessories near launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    That sounds like a good plan. I'm not a new customer, but my contract is up and they give the same discount for renewals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

Anybody who is planning to sign up with AT&T for the first time must know this. The apple iphone is not discounted for new subscribers, so you can take advantage of a discounted or free phone with your new 2-year contract. (do it before you get your iphone) Then purchase the iPhone at the $499 or $599 price just like everybody else. If you sell it on ebay you can probably recover about 1/2 the cost of the iPhone.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...2794471&sr=8-1

It was $.01 with a $100 rebate. I just got it in the mail, and I'm going to get the iPhone on Friday. (I'm switching from Verizon)

• Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I hope that works for you. I'd be reluctant until we heard for sure that kind of thing was possible with the iPhone. It's probably will, but you never know.

We do know that the iPhone will be available to all AT&T customers at the same price. $499 or $599 regardless of whether or not you qualify for an upgrade. Why sign up for a 2-year commitment without taking advantage of their free phone offers or substantial discounts on other phones.

Apple confirmed that you must sign up for a 2 year contract, so there is no benefit to wasting your "upgrade" on the iPhone or signing up for new service with just the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

that the virtual keybord is almost impossible to use, lol yeah right i have seen a beta version, ad trust me if you dont press the keys dead center it wont type it

I'm sorry, does that make it 'good', that you actually have to hit the key dead-center?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

and an AT&T branded wiping cloth.

THAT IS A FREEBE...or should be anyway, they have been free with every cell phone I ever bought.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

You'll be able to use any other BT headset with iPhone. I don't see a gun to your head making you buy Apple's.

Not that I pay attention to things like Bluetooth headphones, but has this been confirmed or just standard speculation? And does it also work for the iPod portion?
  • Reply 26 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

How do you know what it's actually worth? Have you used it yet. I bought a motorola BT headset for a friend, for 79 bucks and it works great.

I didn't say that I did. Did I?

My post was in response to another person saying what it was worth.

I simply said to compare prices, and to look at reviews of similarly priced models, and note that the cheaper ones usually get worse reviews.

I'm happy for you.

But did you try others?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    No I didn't try others. I don't like using BT headsets, I just got it for my friend. I really don't see how one would differ from another,besides style, but I didn't research it at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't say that I did. Did I?

My post was in response to another person saying what it was worth.

I simply said to compare prices, and to look at reviews of similarly priced models, and note that the cheaper ones usually get worse reviews.

I'm happy for you.

But did you try others?

• Reply 28 of 46
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

that the virtual keybord is almost impossible to use, lol yeah right i have seen a beta version, ad trust me if you dont press the keys dead center it wont type it, also edge to be to slow, another laugh, because although iphone does not have the new 3G, it does not really need it yet, because the operating system does much of the work, remember its not goin to be running windows mobile, i can't wait to launch day to see it these bulshit companies are still goin to keep blaiming networks for their poor work

No offense, but are you retarded?
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Getting a plan and a phone, selling it on ebay... that's genius. I wasn't going to get an iphone but for $350 I can afford it! I just wonder if ATT hasn't already thought of a way to shut this down?
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Has anyone thought about the not so new law that passed that cell phone companies must unlock you phone if you ask them to, so that you can use them on any network you want? This would really help out a lot of people who don't have Cingular, but still want to use the iPhone on their carriers network, minus the feature that only Cingular can provide.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I don't think $129 is that expensive for a quality BT headset. The last one I bought (Jabra X10) cost me £99 (About $190) and I ended up taking it back because it was uncomfortable in use. I didn't get a new one because the cheaper ones at the time had rubbish battery performance or looked stupid. As long as the performance matches the looks, Apple will sell shed loads of the new headset, probably even to none iPhone users too.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    try to get the unlock code from AT&T before you sell it. (tell them you're planning a trip to europe) An unlocked phone can usually be sold for more

• Reply 33 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

wasn't there some demand for standard charging/synching ports? my slvr uses mini usb - why doesn't everything...?

Do you have an iPod charger? My understanding is that a lot of iPod accessories will work because it uses the same jack. If you have a car charger for iPod, then you already have an iPhone charger. Normally, I don't like proprietary connectors, but the iPod dock connector is versatile enough, with provisions for charging, syncing, video output, audio output and other control & IO features.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Has anyone thought about the not so new law that passed that cell phone companies must unlock you phone if you ask them to, so that you can use them on any network you want? This would really help out a lot of people who don't have Cingular, but still want to use the iPhone on their carriers network, minus the feature that only Cingular can provide.

The explanation that I've seen of that law is not that they have to unlock the phone, it is that they cannot penalize anyone that unlocks a phone, or sue those that offer an unlocking service.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    I just talked to the people at ATT about the idea of getting a phone today for nothing and then getting the iphone on Friday. They told me I would be required to return the old phone... I didn't really understand their reasoning, but that was what they told me. I switched anyhow because my Sprint service sucks, my old phone just broke down, and Sprint was really expensive. They gave me a free Razor to use for the next few days, but said that I would have to return it on Friday. Maybe they knew what I was going to do and they were bullshitting me. Anyway I'm glad I switched now because they said on Friday that it would be too crazy... They have the media showing up and all kinds of craziness. I knew I wasn't alone in being Mac possessed I just had no idea of the scope. Anyway, I just wanted to update you on that experience.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    I guess I'm still stuck in that late nineties thinking about Apple. We've come a long way baby!
  • Reply 37 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post

I switched anyhow because my Sprint service sucks, ... Anyway I'm glad I switched ...

I talked to Verizon today about my account. It turns out that I would have pay $150 to cancel my contract. Anyway I ended up reducing my plan down to emergency status ($20/month) for the rest of the contract. I guess it doesn't hurt too much to have a back up cell phone.

Now I need an iPhone and a new Expresscard data card for my new MacBook Pro. Any recommendations on the Cingular/AT&T data cards. Which do you think is best?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's just your random made-up pricing, without any knowledge of what it is actually worth.

Why don't you look up BT models and compare prices?

After you do that, look up some reviews. Few cheap ($89) models seem to be much good.

I have a bluetooth headset for less than 89 bucks.. mine works fine, i have never had a problem and i've had it for a while so yeah, 129 is expensive. On the other hand, as someone said, apple never shoots for low end or midrange. You can make a case for apple headset without bashing the competition. It's very annoying when people who love apple products defend the price by bashing the competition. I have a BT bluetooth that cost less than $89 bucks and it works darn good. I'll bet u a year salary that apple bluetooth price is not all due to superior quality. Here is what you are getting.. a $89 bluetooth headset where you are paying 20 bucks for the apple name and another 20 bucks for style. It's still a $89 bluetooth headset. It probably matches the iphone and you look stylish.. so yeah, you wanna trash $89 bluetooth headset, you are probably trashing the apple bluetooth headset. There is nothing wrong with style.. For example, Northface jackets cost a lot of money, i can find equally well made clothes or even superior generic made clothes for less.. but they are not made by Northface. Doesn't mean the other gear is cheap or worthless.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

I have a bluetooth headset for less than 89 bucks.. mine works fine, i have never had a problem and i've had it for a while so yeah, 129 is expensive. On the other hand, as someone said, apple never shoots for low end or midrange. You can make a case for apple headset without bashing the competition. It's very annoying when people who love apple products defend the price by bashing the competition. I have a BT bluetooth that cost less than $89 bucks and it works darn good. I'll bet u a year salary that apple bluetooth price is not all due to superior quality. Here is what you are getting.. a $89 bluetooth headset where you are paying 20 bucks for the apple name and another 20 bucks for style. It's still a $89 bluetooth headset. It probably matches the iphone and you look stylish.. so yeah, you wanna trash $89 bluetooth headset, you are probably trashing the apple bluetooth headset. There is nothing wrong with style.. For example, Northface jackets cost a lot of money, i can find equally well made clothes or even superior generic made clothes for less.. but they are not made by Northface. Doesn't mean the other gear is cheap or worthless.

Now you're making things up. While I didn't say that all cheaper headsets were bad, most seem to be.

But, you know nothing about Apple's.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

This would make some kind of sense if BT headsets came in two flavors: "works fine" and "doesn't work fine".

Then we could safely assume Apple's was one of the former, and anything over what you paid for a different "works fine" unit would be money wasted.

But that's not really how it is, is it? There's "works fine", there's "works great", there's "works fine and has really nice ergonomics", "works fine with outstanding battery life", "works great with really nice ergonomics and outstanding battery life", "works great and is really comfortable and light", "works fine, is comfortable and has outstanding battery life".........

You get the idea. There are any number of reasons that the Apple BT headset might be well worth the extra $40 over what you paid for one that is good enough for you.

If you want to make a point about relative value you should probably do it with items that you know something about beyond the manufacturer and a rumored price.