New iPod games; iPhone data plan; Sprint's anti-iPhone talking points

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    ha! I typed in iPhone on Sprints page and here's what came up:

Quote:

Searching for a music phone?

Check out our wide selection of music phones including Upstage(TM) by Samsung(R) to instantly and wirelessly download music.

• Reply 22 of 88
    Now for a more balanced view.

As a current AT&T customer EDGE is way slow. It's faster than dial up, but not by much.

I've seen Sprint's speeds and they are faster period.

At this point it is true that Sprint does offer music downloads over the network while AT THE MOMENT Apple/AT&T will not allow ITunes downloads over the air.

The 4GB/8GB comment is true. In spite of what Steve says, I can get a 30GB Ipod, Moto Q, and a nokia 800 tethered to the the phone for not much more than an 8Gig IPhone. Hell if I wait long enough I could probably get the Quad Band HTC Shift and have a full blown Windows system/cell phone all in one.(Wouldn't be too thrilled about using it...but)

The comment on removable batteries and storage is TRUE period!.. and spot on.

While I agree this list is charged, you can't ignore how easy it is for the competition to find features lacking in the IPhone.

I'm sure Apple would say we made up in for it in software, but when SOME hardware isn't present there is no amount of software that can give you certain features.

Oh, also to all the meat heads above talking about carrier Monopolies, I have two things to say to you:

1) Five year exclusive contract with Apple

2) Two year contract required to get an IPhone
  • Reply 23 of 88
    delete this post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superdork View Post

Now for a more balanced view.

As a current AT&T customer EDGE is way slow. It's faster than dial up, but not by much.

I've seen Sprint's speeds and they are faster period.

At this point it is true that Sprint does offer music downloads over the network while AT THE MOMENT Apple/AT&T will not allow ITunes downloads over the air.

The 4GB/8GB comment is true. In spite of what Steve says, I can get a 30GB Ipod, Moto Q, and a nokia 800 tethered to the the phone for not much more than an 8Gig IPhone. Hell if I wait long enough I could probably get the Quad Band HTC Shift and have a full blown Windows system/cell phone all in one.(Wouldn't be too thrilled about using it...but)

The comment on removable batteries and storage is TRUE period!.. and spot on.

While I agree this list is charged, you can't ignore how easy it is for the competition to find features lacking in the IPhone.

I'm sure Apple would say we made up in for it in software, but when SOME hardware isn't present there is no amount of software that can give you certain features.

• Reply 24 of 88
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    1) firm rate plans (less is more - one unlimited plan will do)

2) MS exchange support, albeit thru third party Web 2.0 app (this is pretty big deal to more corp folks whom have thier email thru BB's and PPC variants which support nativly thru activesync and such.)

3) video out similar to video iPods?

4) not a biggie but - what to expect far as obtaining your new sim card if new to AT&T on Friday. Dont believe that I will be getting it from APPLE store? Should I expect to get iPhone... then go to authorized A&TT store for new sim and such? Really would like to know how many meals to pack in my bag Friday
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...some hints at potential AT&T iPhone data plans have surface...

Possible iPhone data plan details

Meanwhile, the BGR is citing its usual AT&T managerial sources in saying the carrier's iPhone data plan -- or "iPlan" -- will cost iPhone adopters "around $34.99 to $44.99 and feature unlimited data, and either 2000 text messages, or unlimited text messages."

I just came from my AT&T store and the sales rep as well as the manager gave this news:

1) The voice plans will be the standard ones AT&T offers. See the AT&T website for the different plans and options.

2) The data plans will be at the exact cost of $19.99, $29.99 and $39.99 per month -- and you do NOT have the option of getting no data plan.

3) It is Apple which won't let AT&T disclose what is in these data plans until 6 pm local time Friday. (So they say...)

4) There is a huge banner outside our store saying that unlimited text messages has arrived at AT&T. Obviously this is being added because of Friday's launch of iPhone. When asked if the unlimited text message plan is one of the three that will be offered with iPhone, they could not say.

• Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

I just came from my AT&T store and the sales rep as well as the manager gave this news:

1) The voice plans will be the standard ones AT&T offers. See the AT&T website for the different plans an options.

2) The data plans will be at the exact cost of $19.99, $29.99 and $39.99 per month -- and you do NOT have the option of getting no data plan.

3) It is Apple which won't let AT&T disclose what is in these data plans until 6 pm local time Friday. (So they say...)

4) There is a huge banner outside our store saying that unlimited text messages has arrived at AT&T. Obviously this is being added because of Friday's launch of iPhone. When asked if the unlimited text message plan is one of the three that will be offered with iPhone, they could not say.

if $40 i unlimited what are other tiers for?

$20 - I wish I could afford this phone

$30 - Well I can at least eat lunch out one day this week

?!!?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 27 of 88
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Possible iPhone data plan details

Meanwhile, the BGR is citing its usual AT&T managerial sources in saying the carrier's iPhone data plan -- or "iPlan" -- will cost iPhone adopters "around $34.99 to $44.99 and feature unlimited data, and either 2000 text messages, or unlimited text messages."

The blog site adds that once Sunday's iPhone shipments pass through customs, they'll be transfered to FedEx, which will then hold individual store shipments until Friday afternoon.

The data plan mentioned here is somewhat better priced the the data plan I have with Verizon (I don't have text messages) although the one I have is with EVDO which is faster.

Many here are focusing on speed but IMO speed is not everything. Yes, it is important to get your page fast. But, if you get the page in its actual form (unlike now with my BB that I get it column by column and sometime not all text is displayed), and you can browse on it easily (zoom in, move around it, switch from portrait to landscape etc. all without the need to reload the page!), I think that this could compensate the lack of speed to some degree.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

No offense, but are you retarded?

everyone is complaining its the networks when on the other hand its the smartphones that can't handle the data fast enough just watch and see 3G is nothing, because smart phones have it and it they still suck, and if you think is impossible to update the unit to 3G, just look back to 5 months when apple upgrade a/g to n drafts on their machines, dont think because some companies have dum asses working for them, everyone is doing the same
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

if $40 i unlimited what are other tiers for?

$20 - I wish I could afford this phone

$30 - Well I can at least eat lunch out one day this week

My guess:

$39.99: Unlimited texting and data

$29.99: Some limit on the amount of data used each month, but unlimited texting

$19.99: Limits on data and texting.

For the lower cost two plans, if you go over the limit you'll have to pay a certain amount extra based on how much over you are.

Sound right to y'all?

• Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:

My guess:

For the lower cost two plans, if you go over the limit you'll have to pay a certain amount extra based on how much over you are.

Sound right to y'all?

i'm going to be soo divorced come Saturday.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    macdmacd Posts: 12member
    I am a former Sprint (Corporate) employee. After I walked off the campus last year, the first thing I did was call and transfer my PCS number to Cingular, solely because the rumored iPhone was to be on Cingular's network first.

While my local economy relies heavily on the Sprint not suffering too much, I get emmense pleasure out of watching them come up with about the lamest excuses.

Most people are going to buy an iPhone, they are going to have their number ported over and there is really nothing Sprint is going to do about it. For the lamers who go into the Sprint store, and toss out the "iPhone" and threatening to switch to AT&T... then Sprint has the lame responses in the PDF seen.

Sprint has ignored Mac users for so long, and only recently have they started to add MacBook Pro's to their stores to demo wireless data. This is a first. This was only after the iPhone was announced in January. Few people higher than peon level could find their nose in a mirror. Clueless.

"Of course we have MP3 phones" is one of the lame responses. The thing is, what Sprint doesn't get, is it is not just that you want an MP3 player, you want one that works with iTunes. What Sprint should have did was got in bed with Apple and iTunes and they might be enjoying the success AT&T is going to have in a few days. But no, they went and launched their own music service, wow... that was bright! Whoever thought of that idea should have been fired long ago.

I might just cruise by the Sprint campus on Monday (post iPhone release) and see if there is any smoke coming out of that place.

Even if I was still an employee and enjoyed a FREE all you can eat phone plan and discounted phones, I would still switch my service to Cingular and still carry an iPhone. My best is many employees will be doing the same.. just as Microsoft employees carry a iPod.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:

"Using the iPhone on the GSM/EDGE network may be like having a really powerful computer on dial up."

Oh this is too funny!

They might have well just said to the Mac-users, "the iPhone on GSM is like a Mac Pro on Dial-Up... so we suggest you use a $15 eBay-purchased Bondi iMac on DSL instead, because network speeds have everything to do with hardware performance and capabilities."

These guys are hilarious!

-Clive
  • Reply 33 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So, they are nervous after all.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    akabakaakabaka Posts: 9member
    I called T-Mobile to ask some questions about my impending switch to AT&T for the iPhone, and they tried to sell me on some touch-phone they're launching soon called the "HTC Touch." They also bemoaned the lack of push email (nevermind Yahoo's free offering) on the iPhone -- which they inexplicably kept calling the "iPac."
  • Reply 35 of 88
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

My guess:

Sound right to y'all?

Perhaps you would like to join in:

Voice-Unlimited night/weekend 1000 minute voice, unlimited internet

Ajhill - $69

Abster2core - $66

Addabox - $79, at the lowest, no more than $99

Hobbes - 1000 min voice (unlimited night/weekend) + limited data plan $79, + unlimited data plan $99[

Kavik - $99/month for 450 voice minutes w/ unlimited data + 1500 text messages
  • Reply 36 of 88
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Don't you have to give like a month's notice to ditch a contract - shouldn't ppl have been leaving Sprint 29 May?
  • Reply 37 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

No offense, but are you retarded?

I'm sure that didn't offend him
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akabaka View Post

I called T-Mobile to ask some questions about my impending switch to AT&T for the iPhone, and they tried to sell me on some touch-phone they're launching soon called the "HTC Touch." They also bemoaned the lack of push email (nevermind Yahoo's free offering) on the iPhone -- which they inexplicably kept calling the "iPac."

ditto here... looked into "touch" and "wizard" both made by HTC. I currently have iMate JAM. Nice phones. The whole "touch" thing is basicly a shell running atop WM06 which will annoy most.

My phone currently does everything iPhone does. But I will not resist that "glass of ice-water". Believe me when I say that I waste soo much time figuring out HOW to get my phone to do all these things (movies, corp email, internet, etc).

I also have been a MAC/PC user at work and all my life.

MAC = my work

PC = my games
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Don't you have to give like a month's notice to ditch a contract - shouldn't ppl have been leaving Sprint 29 May?

no, they port over number and then you call your current carrier to break news.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    macdmacd Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

No, no notice required. You can switch anytime... just port the number over to the new carrier and AT&T will be happy to initiate it for you. WORST case with any former provider, is you have to a cancel fee of up to $250, and potentially have to pay through the next billing cycle.

But.. if you can fork out $500-$600 for an iPhone, you can fork out several hundred more on cancelled contracts. Just think about it like your water pipe broke behind the wall in your bathroom and caused a lot of damage and it cost a few arms and legs to get it all fixed.

That's all this is... just an emergency fix... but, once corrected... life will be great.