New iPod games; iPhone data plan; Sprint's anti-iPhone talking points

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Here are a couple nuggets from my company's "Telecommunications Administrator" who is defending our corporate package w/ Sprint:

"I'm hearing the iPhone is full of bugs"

"Just wait 5 months and Sprint & Nextel will have something just like it"
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superdork View Post

Now for a more balanced view...

nothing like announcing one's wisdom ahead of time, kinda like a politician or FOXNEWS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superdork View Post

...As a current AT&T customer EDGE is way slow. It's faster than dial up, but not by much.

I've seen Sprint's speeds and they are faster period....

by "seeing" SPRINT's speeds did you mean actually USING them?? or was it a demo on utube?

when EVDO does work it is undeniably faster, but it isn't demonic - and uploads.. please!

any time you are on the road, in a train or car, connections frequently drop out OR often cut to less than EDGE rates -

the key is WIFI, with EDGE backup, a solid browsing experience and the screen estate - if all that blends well and works as "seen", and it sure seems like it will, Pearlie and Palmie will be hurtin pretty bad. 5 years with Apple T&T won't seem as ridiculous then
  • Reply 43 of 88
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post

Here are a couple nuggets from my company's "Telecommunications Administrator" who is defending our corporate package w/ Sprint:

"I'm hearing the iPhone is full of bugs"

"Just wait 5 months and Sprint & Nextel will have something just like it"

my IT DEPT is not supporting IMAP (BUMMER) only Exchange.

They (APPLE) must have a solution up thier sleeve otherwise they are loosing a large chunk of thier supposed demographic.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

They don't make phones, they only sell the services. How can they make a better product. There are some nice smartphones out there, it just depends on what you're looking for.

No, US carriers don't make the phones, but they are a limiting factor since they choose what phones to offer with their services, and those phones are what are subsidized.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesfabin View Post

If Sprint can count external media cards as additional storage

Don't you put the card into the device? What I've done with many of my devices is that if the card gets too full, I can just upgrade the card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacD View Post

"Of course we have MP3 phones" is one of the lame responses. The thing is, what Sprint doesn't get, is it is not just that you want an MP3 player, you want one that works with iTunes. What Sprint should have did was got in bed with Apple and iTunes and they might be enjoying the success AT&T is going to have in a few days. But no, they went and launched their own music service, wow... that was bright! Whoever thought of that idea should have been fired long ago.

It isn't as if Sprint launched their music service as a response to iPhone, like your wording seems to suggest. Sprint launched their service in October 2005. The only thing Sprint changed in recent months is the price of the tracks, Sprint was absurd with their old pricing.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    Ok, the HTC Kaiser is nice. That's the only I was looking at.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

ditto here... looked into "touch" and "wizard" both made by HTC. I currently have iMate JAM. Nice phones. The whole "touch" thing is basicly a shell running atop WM06 which will annoy most.

My phone currently does everything iPhone does. But I will not resist that "glass of ice-water". Believe me when I say that I waste soo much time figuring out HOW to get my phone to do all these things (movies, corp email, internet, etc).

I also have been a MAC/PC user at work and all my life.

MAC = my work

PC = my games

• Reply 46 of 88
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

my IT DEPT is not supporting IMAP (BUMMER) only Exchange.

They (APPLE) must have a solution up thier sleeve otherwise they are loosing a large chunk of thier supposed demographic.

You can't loose what you don't have yet, can't you?
  • Reply 47 of 88
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

You can't loose what you don't have yet, can't you?

not following you.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps you would like to join in:

Voice-Unlimited night/weekend 1000 minute voice, unlimited internet

Ajhill - $69

Abster2core - $66

Addabox - $79, at the lowest, no more than $99

Hobbes - 1000 min voice (unlimited night/weekend) + limited data plan $79, + unlimited data plan $99[

Kavik - $99/month for 450 voice minutes w/ unlimited data + 1500 text messages

Sure.

I say the voice plans will be the same and the data plans will be as mentioned above for $19.99, $29.99 and $39.99. A little lower than other plans for the same services.

I think the lower cost per service is the reason Apple and AT&T have not disclosed the data plans at this point. I expect this is just another stock and PR booster just prior to it's launch.

PS: What is the easiest way for people to switch carreir while still maintaining their number?
  • Reply 49 of 88
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Sprint just moved up on my lame companies list. LOL, they just want to make themselves feal better. What **** ******S. All their phones are crap so who cares even if they do have the best coverage, you cant even use any of the features.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    "The iPhone is an Apple product and has some nice features. It also has a nice price. Do you really need all those features in one device?"

• Reply 51 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm sure that didn't offend him

Of course not, why would it offend? (I keeed, I keeed!)
  • Reply 52 of 88
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    wow just contacted cingular, and since i started a contract with them 2 months ago, i asked them if i could buy the iphone and they told me, i sure can and all i have to do is extend my contract to 2 years again, and pay $599 for the 8gb model, they also said, you can only get it at ATT stores or apple stores or apple online, and that they wont even have them at the ATT online stores for sale or take orders on the phone from anyone
  • Reply 53 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Every sales training class or school I was ever sent to (in a former life) always stressed one common point. If you say one word about the competition the potential customer will have their interest peaked. If you disparage the competition the customer will surely check them out because it means you are concerned about them.

This is gonna be fun to watch. The world changes again this Friday and a lot of people are already freaking out. Sprint especially I guess.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, US carriers don't make the phones, but they are a limiting factor since they choose what phones to offer with their services, and those phones are what are subsidized.

Exactly right.

Quote:

Sprint launched their service in October 2005. The only thing Sprint changed in recent months is the price of the tracks, Sprint was absurd with their old pricing.

Amen to that. $2.50 a track was hilarious. And tragic.

The instant Sprint announced the original pricing, I immediately visualized the Hindenburg... flying into a mountain... while being struck by a meteor shower. I mean... how does Sprint not see that failing?

Its things like that that make me think being a top-level executive must not be that hard. Literally, any idiot can do it... and apparently does.

• Reply 55 of 88
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This is gonna be fun to watch. The world changes again this Friday and a lot of people are already freaking out. Sprint especially I guess.

Absolutely. All the carriers are on guard now, but Sprint is especially freaked out, because they've been doing so badly of late, even without the iPhone to worry about.

Sprint's merger with Nextel has been going poorly, and a lot of customers are walking out on them- their churn rate is quite high right now, highest of all the national and large regional carriers, except possibly T-Mobile (who competes mainly on price, not coverage, and is used to having high churn).

Sprint is especially reliant on data customers and 'high end phone' customers, the exact ones who may be tempted most by the iPhone. So, while all the carriers are a bit worried, Sprint is probably the one who's dropping the largest fudgie in their drawers right now.

• Reply 56 of 88
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

wow just contacted cingular, and since i started a contract with them 2 months ago, i asked them if i could buy the iphone and they told me, i sure can and all i have to do is extend my contract to 2 years again, and pay $599 for the 8gb model, they also said, you can only get it at ATT stores or apple stores or apple online, and that they wont even have them at the ATT online stores for sale or take orders on the phone from anyone

So... are you getting one?
  • Reply 57 of 88
    icareicare Posts: 4member
    I currently dont have a plan so i dont have to switch if i get an iPhone
  • Reply 58 of 88
    They forgot one...

"If you are a fan of any NASCAR driver that isn't Jeff Burton, then you should stay with Nextel/Sprint. The official sponsor of NASCAR as a whole."

Hey it worked for Winston... oh wait.

But who needs an iPhone when one of these bad-boys are available for over $100 cheaper...

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...=Other+Devices
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCare View Post

I currently dont have a plan so i dont have to switch if i get an iPhone

I have been waiting 2 years to get an iPhone. I have been able to get by without a cell until about 6 months ago, and I've been able to borrow one for when I need one. I may buy an iPhone if the plan is <$50/month. However, without GPS, I may have to wait. I need GPS and don't want to buy a $200-300 device that doesn't support Macs when I can buy an iPhone that has built in Apple support.

Garmin has announced Mac support for 2 years and still hasn't produced. I would have bought one right away, but forget it if it's available on a phone (like most good phones out there).
  • Reply 60 of 88
    icareicare Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fluidinclusion View Post

I have been waiting 2 years to get an iPhone. I have been able to get by without a cell until about 6 months ago, and I've been able to borrow one for when I need one. I may buy an iPhone if the plan is <$50/month. However, without GPS, I may have to wait. I need GPS and don't want to buy a $200-300 device that doesn't support Macs when I can buy an iPhone that has built in Apple support.

Garmin has announced Mac support for 2 years and still hasn't produced. I would have bought one right away, but forget it if it's available on a phone (like most good phones out there).

Im looking for something under $50 too