MBP w/ 512mb VRAM?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brett View Post

I have the baseline MBP santa rosa model and it says 128mb in OS X and 512 mb in XP

Hi and Welcome...

...which suggests Apple is using the same high spec card in all MBP and limiting it (which they have an awful history of doing).

Hopefully if this is the case we'll see a firmware hack in the near future.

Even in the 2001 iMac G4 the GeForce 2 MX could use both it's own VRAM and main system memory together:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...ubsystem_.html

"The graphics IC uses a graphics address remapping table (GART) to translate AGP logical addresses into physical addresses. The graphics driver software can allocate memory in both the dedicated DDR RAM and the main memory."
  • Reply 22 of 32
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

...which suggests Apple is using the same high spec card in all MBP and limiting it (which they have an awful history of doing).

Hopefully if this is the case we'll see a firmware hack in the near future.

i had an inkling it might be something like that (edit: i.e. i wouldn't put it past apple to do that, they've done it before), but i suppose we'll have to wait for more user reports/tests... a firmware hack would be neat, to say the least...

oh, how about the 17"? anyone?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    olddevolddev Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

I just got my new 15" high-end MBP on Sunday and today I installed Windows and right now I am installing updates, Norton, etc. Well, I looked at the advanced option in the settings tab of display properties and the adapter is listed as having 512 mb of VRAM. I'm confused... I thought mine only had 256mb of VRAM. Maybe I'm stupid but I didn't see anything else about this (maybe I suck at searching) but why would Windows tell me that I had twice the video ram? Anyway, I'll be restarting soon to see if OS X says the same thing and I'll update this.

OK: On OS X it says 256 mb VRAM and on XP it says 512. I've restarted a few times in both operating systems. What the heck?

I have the new MBP 15" (256 MB Video) running Vista Business Edition in Boot Camp 1.3b. My Advanced Display Settings are as follows: Total Available Graphics Memory: 1015 MB, Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB, System Video Memory: 0 MB, Shared System Memory: 759 MB.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Yeah, the nearest Apple store to me is like 50 miles away, but I need to go to the area soon to go to best buy to get a stereo and sub for my car and a bluetooth mouse (not for the car). Maybe by the end of the week.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by olddev View Post

I have the new MBP 15" (256 MB Video) running Vista Business Edition in Boot Camp 1.3b. My Advanced Display Settings are as follows: Total Available Graphics Memory: 1015 MB, Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB, System Video Memory: 0 MB, Shared System Memory: 759 MB.

This is another good point which would suggest that the 8600 uses shared memory and although it doesn't have the turbocache (as far as I know) it will still take some for graphics usage.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

This is another good point which would suggest that the 8600 uses shared memory and although it doesn't have the turbocache (as far as I know) it will still take some for graphics usage.

nvidia page shows it as a 256mb card

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html
  • Reply 27 of 32
    The page for the 8600 M at http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600M.html says the max RAM in it is 512MB. This certainly suggests this card *could* have 512MB RAM. It'd be very interesting to know, but I'll be purchasing one pretty soon regardless.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    OK, I went to the Apple store today, and at the genius bar the guy said that the 8600 does not use shared RAM and it might just be a driver thing or an error. So pretty much he had absolutely no idea. Anybody else have any luck?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

OK, I went to the Apple store today, and at the genius bar the guy said that the 8600 does not use shared RAM and it might just be a driver thing or an error. So pretty much he had absolutely no idea. Anybody else have any luck?

That means Apple is throwing in 512MB cards but isn't enabling them.

Assholes.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

That means Apple is throwing in 512MB cards but isn't enabling them.

Assholes.

Which might be why I'm only getting like 4 hours battery life with screen at dimmest possible, no backlit keys, no bluetooth on, and only running FF and iChat (nothing intensive). I don't know whether to be happy about the 512 (which would rock when I was connected to power) or angry about the battery.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Which might be why I'm only getting like 4 hours battery life with screen at dimmest possible, no backlit keys, no bluetooth on, and only running FF and iChat (nothing intensive). I don't know whether to be happy about the 512 (which would rock when I was connected to power) or angry about the battery.

To get the maximum you'll need to put the energy saving preference to reduced power too. When my 12" PB was new I got over the maximum battery life by not having wireless on either (I was in a place with no wifi anyway). I could easily get it to last the 5 hours of college.

Either way, I would guess that if it isn't showing as 512 in the System Profiler, it won't be using it and thus won't be using power for it.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull View Post

To get the maximum you'll need to put the energy saving preference to reduced power too. When my 12" PB was new I got over the maximum battery life by not having wireless on either (I was in a place with no wifi anyway). I could easily get it to last the 5 hours of college.

Either way, I would guess that if it isn't showing as 512 in the System Profiler, it won't be using it and thus won't be using power for it.

I do have energy saving prefs on. I need airport for the internet in my house. Right now with the screen dimmed to minimal and just FF and iChat running, fully charged, says 4:47. I would think that even though the software will try to limit the graphics card, it would still physically take the power anyways. Oh well. It's not all that big of deal.