Insanity: First iPhone line forms in Manhattan (four days early)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Two individuals can now flaunt the crown of "the very first iPhone line waiters", having camped out Monday morning on a Midtown Manhattan sidewalk more than four days before the Apple device is due to go on sale.

At 5:00 a.m. on Monday, the two iPhone enthusiasts stationed themselves outside Apple's Fifth Avenue flagship shop in New York City's Manhattan borough, assuring their first and second places in line. Yes -- they plan to remain there till Friday evening and are seeking food and MetroCards as donations.

The two were first discovered by local blog site Vicarious Music , which spotted them Monday afternoon holding signs pronouncing their early arrival.

In a later interview with Gizmodo, the head of the line (known thus far only as Greg) explained that he was a single retiree, affording him all the time in the world to 'get his iPhone.' Greg's plan after buying iPhone? To "take a look at it" and "see how it works." His left-hand man remains unidentified.

Both campers are equipped for the remaining four days of the wait with soft seats, soft drinks, and coolers full of grub -- including, as the interview (below) reveals, at least one bright yellow banana.

Video:

Watch the the very first interview of the very first iPhone line waiter

Update: "Greg" has a blog...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Just.... speechless.

Four days?

Sorry, but the only thing that sticks out in my mind about four days from now is that my library book is due. I don't think there will be any line at the book depository slot fortunately.

To each their own. For me, I'm happy with my Nokia 6103 and Palm Pilot z31. Total cost: $200. The palm plays video and audio and can use the cell to grab my e-mail. No need for an iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Blah! And I thought waiting overnight was too much! That's going to be two stinky men!

Although I will say, I'm annoyed that he's asking for food and metro-cards (meaning that he really won't be sitting there, or he plans to barter with them?).

Hopefully this doesn't kick of panic causing everyone else to start waiting, at least here in Philly?
  • Reply 3 of 67
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    And the craziness has just started. Unfortunately I live in Canada and that means I don't know how long I will have to wait. Good luck to you two. Hope it doesn't rain.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Oh SNaP!! These two homies from New York just made all you nerdz in San Fran look like chump, lazy ass, rich-bitched, fan boyz!!@!

-MRG
  • Reply 5 of 67
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Jeez, the guy looks homeless with the shabby clothes and handwritten sign. I hope this doesn't get aired again and again on network TV. It's a turn-off....
  • Reply 6 of 67
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Jeez, the guy looks homeless with the shabby clothes and handwritten sign. I hope this doesn't get aired again and again on network TV. It's a turn-off....

mmhmm...

and i thought friday at 5 was early... then i realized how stupid that was.

I love how the title is insanity.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    He sounds like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    I WOULD say this embarrasses us Mac fans, but I've got a sneaking suspicion this isn't a Mac guy. This guy is like the 70% or so of iPod owners that sully their lone Apple products by connecting it to a Windows-based PC. Another bandwagon-hopper that I, as a Mac user since The Darkest Days In Apple History, gladly spit upon.

Yes, I realize I just fulfilled every cliche about the Mac user, and created a few new ones, in that paragraph alone. (shrug)
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Would some kind forum member in the NYC area stop by the Apple Store, and give this guy a nicer shirt to wear, and a comb?

Please? The Apple world would be grateful...
  • Reply 10 of 67

...a Yankee fan nonetheless. Guess he has nothing else but an iPhone to lift his spirits this year.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

He sounds like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

He doesn't sound like Carl..he IS Carl!
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Better him than me.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    just sent greg some fanmail.. so pretty much.. i hope they get a lot of fanmail.. how cool would that be?
  • Reply 14 of 67
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

just sent greg some fanmail.. so pretty much.. i hope they get a lot of fanmail.. how cool would that be?

What did you address it to? "The guy sitting by the big glass box in Manhattan"?
  • Reply 15 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    How long before someone will edit that pic of his pathetic sign to say what we're all rally thinking?
  • Reply 16 of 67
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i got me a chair, a banana and some gatorade. i'm gonna be here for 5 days. i wanna take a look at it and see how it works. dahhhh ok george.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    He's single? Imagine that...
  • Reply 18 of 67
    I'm afraid he's going to discourage other people from lining up at Apple's flagship store.

Really: would you want to be seen sitting next to him? It would make me pause, that's for sure.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    imagine that when friday come and the phone goes on sale that dudes credit comes back bad or something
  • Reply 20 of 67
    He should also be asking for donations for the cost of the iPhone...