Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple and AT&T Inc. said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated.

Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone, Apple said. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes.

"Users will be able to activate their new iPhone in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "There are tens of millions of people in the US who already know how to sync their iPods with iTunes, and syncing their new iPhone with iTunes works the same way."

iPhone, which goes on sale at 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Friday, June 29 at AT&T and Apple retail stores, introduces an entirely new user interface based on a revolutionary multi-touch display and pioneering new software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

The device combines three products into one small and lightweight handheld device -- a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and the Internet in your pocket with applications phone for email, web browsing and maps. It will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac.

iPhone activation will require an Internet connection; an iTunes Store account or a major credit card; a valid Social Security number (as required by AT&T); the latest version of iTunes; and a PC or Mac with a USB 2.0 port and one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later; Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later; or Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise or Ultimate Edition.

iPhone will require a new two-year AT&T service plan. Customers with existing AT&T accounts will have the option of keeping their existing phone number and upgrading their account to work with iPhone, Apple added.

An iPhone Activation and Sync video has been posted at Apple.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Okay.... but... and I know this'll be asked a million times (especially over at the howard forums Apple board) what happens if someone DOESN'T activate it and instead tries to unlock it so it'll work on another network? Will the sales people somehow 'link' the purchase to a person and then if the phone doesn't get activated they will be charged the AT&T ETF? I don't think they can since you're not going to be signing any contract (at the Apple store anyway)... but who knows.

Yea yea yea I know, it WONT be easy to unlock but lets not confuse things with the FACTS since the people over there certainly wont...

I guess this question has some merit even without unlocking since I would imagine this would allow someone to buy an iPhone for someone else without having to commit to any service contract in their own name.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 94
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    What about number portability for people not using ATT presently? The above article doesn't make it sound possible.

Also, what about Vista Basic users? The article above doesn't say Vista Basic users can activate from home.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    If I understand this correctly, Apple is only tacking on 20 bucks for unlimited data to existing call plans? That's a pretty cheap deal right? Unlimited data on its own is more than that. Tempting to get on board....... must convince the wife
  • Reply 4 of 94
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

What about number portability for people not using ATT presently? The above article doesn't make it sound possible.

Also, what about Vista Basic users? The article above doesn't say Vista Basic users can activate from home.

Are they not legally required to provide this, now?
  • Reply 5 of 94
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    .... I mean the phone number portability, not the Vista Basic support.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Yeah -- we're working on this. It's NOT clear from the PR. Kind of frustrating.

K
  • Reply 7 of 94
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    As I understand the iPhone it requires the service provider to have extra iPhone server end services on it for the iPhone to work properly. The big question is will it even work on another network or even the same network without an iPhone type account.

Also since you can not buy these things outright there is absolutely no need to have an iPhone service contract or iPhone pre-paid account because in theory there will be no iPhone not linked to a contract. Good luck to all those ebay people. There isn't even word at the moment if you will be able to transfer iPhone contracts between people.

As to will you be able to start using the other features of iPhone without first registering. I think it will be like what you get with Mac OS X or Windows XP/VISTA after an install or when you boot your machine for the first time. You simply can not get started with the phone until certain setup steps are taken.

Good luck finding a way around this.
  • Reply 8 of 94
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I wonder if the thing will just.not.work until it's activated. I mean, since you don't have to activate it in stores, I imagine you can use it for all of it's Newton-ny goodness, without using the phone part.

I have to be strong. I am not buying an iPhone...especially on Friday...even though there are several AT&T stores nearby. I might.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    kemckkemck Posts: 6member
    I just watched the newly posted Activation video for iPhone on Apple.com. Did anyone else notice that in the sequence showing sync your data ( addresses, music, etc) the capacity size is the same as a 80 gig iPod... am I seeing things????
  • Reply 10 of 94
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I am not buying an iPhone...especially on Friday...even though there are several AT&T stores nearby. I might.

Does this man has WILLPOWER or WHAT!

I'm NOT buying it...

Well not on Friday...

Well...

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 94
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Apparently you CAN do it via iTunes -- transfer your number. Now that is pretty cool:

• Reply 12 of 94
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Simple, but game-changing. Yet again. Makes one go, "duh, why didn't the service provider bozos think of something so obvious before?"

(Now we know why Apple recommended that users download iTunes if they want to use the iPhone. The bottom line is, this is is going to be substantially an "Apple product-use" experience [rather than an ATT experience], from the user's standpoint. The SPs are being rightfully put in their place. Finally, they are being told that they are just the providers of pipes/infrastructure through which we can finally begin to enjoy cell phones. It totally shatters the current model, which is sort of like an electric utility controlling which appliance I can use at what price for what use-type plans they approved!).
  • Reply 13 of 94
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

The "activation video" shows that one of the steps is for porting your number over if you choose to. you put in the number, the account number and your zip.

nice because that can be such a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    So....could I buy one of these in the USA and bring it to the UK and pop a Pay-as-you-go SIM in it ? :o ?!
  • Reply 15 of 94
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I don't think they can since you're not going to be signing any contract (at the Apple store anyway)... but who knows.

You may be asked to sign on such a contract electronically on the first time you attempt to sync/activate the iPhone with iTunes. It is likely that without this activation the phone will not b e fully operational.

But, I would assume that there are folks out there that will do whatever they can in order to bypass the various roadblocks that Apple/AT&T setup
  • Reply 16 of 94
    at the end of the video, did anyone catch that the iPhone being activated indicates that it has 80 GB of space? seems like a pretty good deal now!

the devil is in the details.

:: update: doh! too late ::
  • Reply 17 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and AT&T Inc. said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated.

After watching the activation video, it really confirms what Steve said right from the beginning?i.e., Revolutionary
  • Reply 18 of 94
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kemck View Post

I just watched the newly posted Activation video for iPhone on Apple.com. Did anyone else notice that in the sequence showing sync your data ( addresses, music, etc) the capacity size is the same as a 80 gig iPod... am I seeing things????

noticed that too. wtf...weird.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

noticed that too. wtf...weird.

Maybe the Number One Secret Feature!! is that it's really 40gb and 80gb iPhones, rather than 4 and 8
  • Reply 20 of 94
    theveebtheveeb Posts: 17member
    Extracted this from the service agreement in the activation video:

"If you terminate this Agreement before expiration of your Service

Commitment, you will pay Cingular an Early Terminatin Fee of $175 for

each wireless telephone number associated with this service. To

terminate this agreement, call customer service."

It is safe to assume that the iPhone will not be usable as far as syncing content from iTunes until it is activated. Not sure whether they would disable syncing through iTunes if you terminated your agreement though.