Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    I think this also means that the SIM is hardwired into the phone?
  • Reply 42 of 126
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ? View Post

I would expect that other carriers will soon follow with similar plans(at least for smartphones).

I am not too sure about that.

Firstly, there are major differences between the iPhone and so-called smart phones. If anything, the simplicity of the iPhone to use, activate and support would dictate that overhead costs for the former are significantly lower. Most of the support will undoubtedly fall in Apples bailiwick.

Having viewed the iPhone videos, and especially the 'activation' virtually eliminates having to go to or contact the carrier. Even to change plans. Thus reducing a significant proportion of the costs.

Equally, the functionality of the iPhone is significantly different, the ability to update via iTunes and most obvious, Apple's intent to make it even better just can't be replicated by the others in capability, cost and ease.

As most of us have experienced, purchasing a mobile plan for the old style mobiles was a frustrating experience. Servicing and support equally daunting. Likewise using whatever product we had.

As Steve stated right from the beginning?the iPhone will revolutionize the phone. So far, there is little doubt that he overstated his proclamation.
  • Reply 43 of 126
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    iPhone subsidized afterall?

Considering these prices are about $10 to $30 a month less than a comparable plan with another provider, that equals a two year savings of about $240 to $720, which really helps off-set the initial cost. Not bad.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpt K View Post

what if the sim card is inserted after the phone as is purchased and the account information is recorded to the card by the phone during activation

one more thing.......

can someone help me get my head around this, currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?
  • Reply 45 of 126
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?

I think you're mistaken. You can sync an unlimited number of iPods to one library. What you can't do is sync one iPod to more than one library.

You will be able to use an unlimited number of iPhones and iPods with one library.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

You all need to read the fine print on these things.

Taken from the AT&T site on their data connect plans. I highlighted the good parts.

So, it does mean we could connect to this forum (and other forums) and read/post using the iPhone -- right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

One thing you FAMILY PLAN folks will want to consider...

Each additional iPhone line is $29.99 per month and not 9.99... The extra $20 is for the unlimited data... I didn't realize this at first and also the iPhone FAMILY PLAN PRICES only include ONE SINGEL LINE... I could swore they used to include TWO lines in the base price...

So the $80 iPhone family plan will cost you...

$89.99 for 1 iPhone and 1 non-iPhone (80+9.99)

OR

$109.99 for 2 iPhones (80+29.99)

Dave

Dave, AT&T family plans used to include two phones/phone numbers. At this page: www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html it says that the family plan "includes one line. Additional iPhone lines are $29.99 each." Unless this is a typo... possibly they put that rate in for each additional iPhone line AFTER two included iPhones. (if they meant the family includes the one individual line and one extra line on the family plan)

Still, the way it looks as it is printed now, two iPhones on the family plan save you $10 a month over two individual iPhones on two individual plans.

• Reply 47 of 126
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I doubt it's hardwired, but the fact that it's activated at home definitely seems to mean that you won't have to deal with it at all. Probably they just sell them already in the phone.

This line is interesting to me too:
    Quote:

Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod;

It looks like this is one way Apple is "locking" the iPhone to AT&T: You can't even use it with iTunes unless you get the contract. They don't even want you to buy it and use it for an iPod with wifi internet unless you get the contract.
  • Reply 48 of 126
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

what if the sim card is inserted after the phone as is purchased and the account information is recorded to the card by the phone during activation

one more thing.......

can someone help me get my head around this, currently itunes will not let you sync two ipods to the same itunes library, are we going to be able to sync the same library to both an ipod and an iphone?

This is what I am trying to figure out.

Does the phone come with sim card already inserted?

I will be a new user, so if not, then [new accounts] will have to make a visit to a at&t store for a sim card.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

I will be a new user, so if not, then [new accounts] will have to make a visit to a at&t store for a sim card.

In the past, I have always had new SIM cards in the box along with my contract handsets. I've never had a PAYG, but as I understand it, they come SIM free if you buy from a generic retailer.

I imagine that the iPhone will come with a new SIM in the box.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

No no no... a GSM phone (which is what the iPhone is) must have a SIM card otherwise it's NOT a GSM phone. Having a SIM lot is MANDATORY for all GSM phones... (if the wiki is right that is)

Dave
  • Reply 51 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I could see how some people would want more than 200 text messages, though.

Specialy with a family plan, 200 text messages can go very quickly.
  • Reply 52 of 126
    bk0001bk0001 Posts: 7member
    Rate Plans, ease of activation - all is universally as good as people hoped / much better than people feared.

So why is the stock taking a hit today? Are there leaks of mediocre reviews about to come out?
  • Reply 53 of 126
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post

Rate Plans, ease of activation - all is universally as good as people hoped / much better than people feared.

So why is the stock taking a hit today? Are there leaks of mediocre reviews about to come out?

Buy on rumors, sell on news.
  • Reply 54 of 126
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumbler View Post

Anyone think it would be possible to run some version of Skype on this phone? I've never used it, but remember it being an actual program that had to be installed. It might be interesting if someone could adapt this to run on the iPhone or if a web version was created so users could call other people on Skype for free using the unlimited data plan. Realistic or crazy?

Not legally. First Skype is a full application which you would somehow have to install around Apple's restrictions. Then if you read the plan disclaimers listed above: Prohibited III) says no VOIP allowed.
  • Reply 55 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

No no no... a GSM phone (which is what the iPhone is) must have a SIM card otherwise it's NOT a GSM phone. Having a SIM lot is MANDATORY for all GSM phones... (if the wiki is right that is)

Dave

Not exactly. GSM refers to the recnology used for the radio transmitter, if it uses that, it is a GSM phone. If the sim is "hardwired" then it isn't a sim, by definition.

So while it wouldn't meet all of the criteria of what a GSM phone must have, it would still be a GSM phone.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I really wish that the iPhone would allow the use of "REAL" iChat when going between two iPhones or between iPhones and iChat users. Using SMS is pure crap and it needs to die.

With a standard phone SMS was the only way you could get a e-mail message to the user but you don't need that any more if they're a iPhone user.

Ok, e-mail does not push but who really gives a rip. When someone wants to contact me they send a SMS then you use e-mail back and forth. You don't have the text window but it does not cost me anything either.

So as I said, iChat on the iPhone should be real iChat and dump SMS unless your talking to someone that only has SMS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Specialy with a family plan, 200 text messages can go very quickly.

• Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:

The iPhone has a freakin' 'SIM tray' ... the damned thing is removable.

Despite saying that, I'm certain that the question will be asked countless additional times.

• Reply 58 of 126
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    Quote:

i think the phone will come with the sim card, this will make the transfer even easier when iphone v2.0 comes out
  • Reply 59 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

e-mail does not push

It will via Yahoo.

• Reply 60 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Oops!