No Instant Messaging on iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Where is iChat on the iPhone? Is there any instant messaging at all? I instant message with my friends and family all-day, every day on a qwerty phone. That's a dealbreaker for me. Am I missing something or is this a glaring omission on an otherwise amazing iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Not only is there iChat via instant messaging on the iPhone, but you can now use iChat on your Mac to send messages to an iPhone client. Woot!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I'm talking about Instant Messaging, not SMS. I use AIM on my phone constantly to chat with people whether they're on their phone or at their computer at home/work.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonanoplease View Post

I'm talking about Instant Messaging, not SMS. I use AIM on my phone constantly to chat with people whether they're on their phone or at their computer at home/work.

Not yet but I'm sure it will be coming. Remember Apple can upgrade the software and add things. It's all a matter of what AT&T can support.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    At&T can support it. IM traffic is data just like the http, smtp and imap traffic the internet applications on the iphone already support. Other At&T phones support it I'm sure.

They just want people to use SMS and pay 10 cents (or whatever) per message over the limit or fork over an extra $20 bux for unlimited SMS when you're already paying for unlimited data. All that and without even being able to IM anyone on AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, etc.

I hope instant messaging comes soon. In the meantime I'll be IMing all day on the sh***y phone I have now.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    We need "net neutrality" but for cell networks.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
  • Reply 7 of 21
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

At&T can support it. IM traffic is data just like the http, smtp and imap traffic the internet applications on the iphone already support. Other At&T phones support it I'm sure.

They just want people to use SMS and pay 10 cents (or whatever) per message over the limit or fork over an extra $20 bux for unlimited SMS when you're already paying for unlimited data. All that and without even being able to IM anyone on AIM, Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger, MSN, etc.

I hope instant messaging comes soon. In the meantime I'll be IMing all day on the sh***y phone I have now.

There are already AIM clients that run through a website (meebo is one I can think of). It will just be a matter of time before someone "optimizes" one for the iPhone screen.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    cdlcdl Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

We need "net neutrality" but for cell networks.

Seconded, and thirded.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    deiterdeiter Posts: 2member
    hey, if the new iphone coming out has safari like it says it does then you should b able to just go to aim.com and download it. Doesn't that make sense????
  • Reply 10 of 21
    deiterdeiter Posts: 2member
    actually u dont even have to download it you just simply have to go to aim .com then click mail then type ur info in then you are good to go!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Didn't AOL disclose at the launch of iPhone OS 2.0 that they were working on a free AIM Client for the iPhone?

Now we need a Yahoo Client.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Didn't AOL disclose at the launch of iPhone OS 2.0 that they were working on a free AIM Client for the iPhone?

i was about to point that out myself. here's a cnet story on it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Actually in the most recent iPhone 3G guided tour on Apple's website you can clearly and obviously see a AIM icon on the homepage. I'm quite sure that since they even mentioned IM clients specifically during the keynote that we'll have some IM clients available immediately. Since I have people on multiple services, a mobile version of Adium will be all I need.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

Actually in the most recent iPhone 3G guided tour on Apple's website you can clearly and obviously see a AIM icon on the homepage. I'm quite sure that since they even mentioned IM clients specifically during the keynote that we'll have some IM clients available immediately. Since I have people on multiple services, a mobile version of Adium will be all I need.

i'd love that too… but there seem to be some problems with that.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Where is iChat on the iPhone? Is there any instant messaging at all? I instant message with my friends and family all-day, every day on a qwerty phone. That's a dealbreaker for me. Am I missing something or is this a glaring omission on an otherwise amazing iPhone.

Mate I can do this on Meebo.com on my iPod Touch. It works. It works on a 2G iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    That's through the browser, but hopefully an actual "chat" app will also show up, but for all intents and purposes that meebo thing works very well, particularly if you now have good unlimited 3G.

See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1qtsecQ9RI

Maybe there is more advanced functionality because it may be jailbroken, but stock iPhone 2G and iPod Touch runs meebo.com alright.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    http://www.meebo.com

http://www.ebuddy.com

Go there and chat on AIM, Yahoo, MSN Messenger, GTalk, whatever via http to your heart's content.

Why do people keep asking the same freaking question? I've answered this question 5 times now.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Those webapps are crap. Im sure there will be various proper IM client apps available when the appstore launches.

Im looking for an MSN one.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

i'd love that too? but there seem to be some problems with that.

That page is woefully out of date.

1) The SDK NDA is lifting for public discussion.

2) The 'always on' issue was addressed publicly at WWDC - push notification. Not an issue.

3) I would expect that, if the Adium team were to take a close look at their memory use, most of it would be gobbled up by the UI on MacOS X. Different UI base on the iPhone == different memory use. They can keep (much of) the core logic intact.

Trivial? Far from it. But I hope they revisit this issue, since that discussion is based on old information and assumptions.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Why do people keep asking the same freaking question? I've answered this question 5 times now.

Because they don't read the past posts before asking.

Well, that and what bavlondon2 said - webapps for IM are crap. You leave the page, you're logged off of the IM. Meh.