Sharing on wireless between tiger and xp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've got file sharing set up and i can navigate to my shared xp folders from my macbook, but the transferring is ridiculously slow: an hour for a 125 MB folder.

could the problem be in my router? some sort of firewall somewhere?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

i've got file sharing set up and i can navigate to my shared xp folders from my macbook, but the transferring is ridiculously slow: an hour for a 125 MB folder.

could the problem be in my router? some sort of firewall somewhere?

If your router was blocking ports, you probably wouldn't be able to connect at all but some firewall filter on the PC could slow it down. Try disabling things like Zonealarm.

Are you sure you have 802.11g on both and not maybe just 802.11b on the PC?

Also, are you using SMB to connect?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    xp is wired. laptop is wireless through G. i'm using smb. zonealarm is disabled. i have a d-link di-524 router. are there certain "sharing ports" i need to open?

thanks marvin.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

xp is wired. laptop is wireless through G. i'm using smb. zonealarm is disabled. i have a d-link di-524 router. are there certain "sharing ports" i need to open?

thanks marvin.

Port 445 is what SMB communicates over.

Have you tried plugging your Macbook into your router via ethernet to see if that speeds things up? That would let you know if it's a port or SMB issue or a wireless issue.

I had a similar type of trouble using AFP sharing but it was sharing from a machine with airport to a machine with a belkin adaptor. I got speeds similar to yours. Doing airport to airport on the same router got the fast speeds I expected.

You still only get about half or less via wireless though. 56Mbps is closer to about 20Mbps real world speed. 125MB should take about 2 minutes.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ok, so now my macbook won't even connect over smb to my desktop. i can use remote desktop connection to log into my desktop, but can't log into it. when i tried copying a file over using remote desktop, i got a "can't copy" dialog (in xp).

any ideas? i might just have to go back to ftp. i've almost always gotten consistently around 1MB/sec on ftp (over this same wired/wireless) set up.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

ok, so now my macbook won't even connect over smb to my desktop.

This is via ethernet you mean or it just stopped working?

Quote:

i can use remote desktop connection to log into my desktop, but can't log into it. when i tried copying a file over using remote desktop, i got a "can't copy" dialog (in xp).

any ideas?

Is this Apple Remote Desktop? Also are you trying to copy without being logged in?

Quote:

i might just have to go back to ftp. i've almost always gotten consistently around 1MB/sec on ftp (over this same wired/wireless) set up.

If FTP works fine then it must be your router or possibly even OS X not handling SMB properly.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is via ethernet you mean or it just stopped working?

i actually reinstalled os x yesterday. not because of this directly, but i've been fiddling with my macbook since i got it and wanted to give it a fresh start. it won't connect via smb with the macbook wireless (g) and xp wired.

Quote:

Is this Apple Remote Desktop? Also are you trying to copy without being logged in?

Remote Desktop Connection And I used the little article about copying files across computers on that same page. That's what won't work.

Quote:

If FTP works fine then it must be your router or possibly even OS X not handling SMB properly.

Ya...I think I'll go back to FTP.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    This is probably a problem that I have documented for my employer:

http://prowiki.isc-csg.upenn.edu:160...FS_Connections
  • Reply 8 of 8
    you win!!!

thanks a ton karl!