Best TV Tuner :::

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What's the best tv tuner for the mac? any via pci & firewire/usb?

the only one i've seen that's semi-worth it is ATI's xClaim TV USB?

anyhting else?

too bad there's no All In Wonder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    AFAIK, ATI's TV tuner software doesn't run in X. Not to mention that the software itself is a piece of crap. It is a bug ridden piece of crap, and they haven't done a major overhaul of it since they begin shipping it with the original Rage II XClaim VR.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of reviewing pretty much every ATI card they've shipped over the past five years or so, and the only one that ever really got to me was the VR series, simply because the software was awful.

At a press meeting over a year ago, ATI said they were trying to move away from the VR series of cards and try and offer TV Tuner functionality in external devices like the USB tuner. They continue to decline to comment as to whether or not there will ever be an OS X version.

There are some other solutions out there... been up all night and can't think of the names
  • Reply 2 of 2
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i've been trying to find info. but there doesn't seem to be anything "new & relevent" on the mac side.

xclaim tv usb is the only semi-decent one i've found.

but ati doesn't do much good development on the mac side [& sometimes/most the time, on the pc side as well]