Feature request: streaming from iTunes?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Steve demonstrated a special version of iTunes at WWDC that used Rendezvous to discover other iTunes "nodes" on the network and then play tunes from them.

Granted, Rendezvous's network model is very different from a server-client model, but a streaming feature in iTunes would be awesome for serving MP3s in a heterogeneous network, for example, serving your MP3s from your iTunes library to WinAmp on a PC.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Well, since Apple made iTunes from the code they bought from SoundJam and SoundJam had streaming capabilities...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quicktime Streaming Server is pretty robust, GUI driven, and free, no?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Quicktime Streaming Server is pretty robust, GUI driven, and free, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah.. perhaps, perhaps.

Still, rolling it into iTunes would be somewhat more convenient, and awesome, no?

I hadn't considered that, though, so I'll give it a run as soon as I have time. I was under the impression that QTSS needed MP3's to be wrapped in the MOV format. They just changed that, right?

And then there's QT Broadcaster..

[Edit:]

Ok, I just went to the website for a quick looksee. Looks like they do support .MP3 now as well as MP4.

It's definitely geared toward professional streaming, though, whereas I was referring to private, at-home streaming intra-LAN. Not to mention that they say that it's "build for Mac OS X Server." Not that that should make a big difference, but I was discouraged enough to not want to go through the hassle of setting it up. The interface also appears to be web-based, which, while familiar, is nowhere near a preferred native interface.

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: frawgz ]</p>