Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Does anyone know if these plans include long distance calling (in the US)?

Nowadays most cells let you call outside your zipcode without issue, but I want to be damn certain of it. Small print and all you know.
  • Reply 82 of 126
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilraq View Post

Does anyone know if these plans include long distance calling (in the US)?

Free nationwide long distance is pretty much a given for cell phones anymore.
  • Reply 83 of 126
    tbehunintbehunin Posts: 56member
    Can someone define Unlimited Mobile to Mobile? I'm assuming it means both partiesmust be on Cingular/AT&T?
  • Reply 84 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

Can someone define Unlimited Mobile to Mobile? I'm assuming it means both partiesmust be on Cingular/AT&T?

Yes.

And if you have an AT&T (Bellsouth) landline which includes AT&T unlimited long distance, you might be able to get on AT&T's Unity Plan so you can even have calsl to/from any AT&T (Bellsouth) landline from your AT&T wireless phone (iPhone) without using call plan minutes.

You're eligible if you live in one of the states they provide this service and:

- \tYou subscribe to qualifying unlimited AT&T local service plan.

-\tYou have an unlimited AT&T long distance plan.

-\tYou have combined billing with AT&T and Cingular Wireless.

• Reply 85 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

I was wondering is the sms like a text cost each time I send or a session.. like in Ichat..

There seems to be some confusion about SMS Text Messages, and Visual Voicemail.

According to the ATT iPhone rate plan site, there are 200 Visual Voicemails a month, and, for the $59.99 plan, 5,000 SMS Text Messages a month.

For the higher plans, there are still 200 VVM's, but now the SMS goes to unlimited.

See here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html
  • Reply 86 of 126
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

According to the ATT iPhone rate plan site, there are 200 Visual Voicemails a month, and, for the $59.99 plan, 5,000 SMS Text Messages a month.

For the higher plans, there are still 200 VVM's, but now the SMS goes to unlimited.

See here:

Eh? Where are you getting that? I don't see any limit on voicemails.
  • Reply 87 of 126
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

See here:

Mel, look again, there are no limits to visual voice mail.

No, there seems to be some confusion between SMS and iChat. And I think it's because Apple wrote an interface to SMS that looks practically identical to iChat.

SMS = text messages.
  • Reply 88 of 126
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    200 sms? i hope they are joking
  • Reply 89 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Mel, look again, there are no limits to visual voice mail.

No, there seems to be some confusion between SMS and iChat. And I think it's because Apple wrote an interface to SMS that looks practically identical to iChat.

SMS = text messages.

Ok, I see where the problem is.

On my machine, and I suppose yours as well, the columns don't line up. I was seeing voicemail as being in the same column as 200, and SMS in the same column as 5000.

I don't know why they don't fix that. I'm sure I won't be the only one to make that mistake.

• Reply 90 of 126
    jennygjennyg Posts: 14member
    [deleted - never mind. looked up more details on my account and the +$20 thing makes more mathematical sense now. ]
  • Reply 91 of 126
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

You all need to read the fine print on these things.

Taken from the AT&T site on their data connect plans. I highlighted the good parts.

What you should have done was quote Verizon's so-called "unlimited data" policy first, and watch everyone here complain about Verizon being greedy and deceptive. Wait a while and then quote AT&T's policy which seems almost similar, and see if those same people will change their story just because AT&T is the exclusive mobile carrier for the iPhone.
  • Reply 92 of 126
    a-mazea-maze Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

\\

even songs bought from the itunes music store? i was thinking that this was not permitted on DRMed media

you can authorize up to five computers per apple id account. There is an option to reset all authorizations but this is limited in time, that is you can only reset your authorizations every year or so.

The number of ipods you can connect to one library is unlimited.

Great pricing, restrictions look ok, iPhone will come with SIM card in package. Also dock, earphones and cleaning cloth :-)
  • Reply 93 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-maze View Post

Great pricing, restrictions look ok, iPhone will come with SIM card in package. Also dock, earphones and cleaning cloth :-)

Plus, no doubt, a free bubble-wrap carrying case!

• Reply 94 of 126
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Holy shit those are really impressive rates! I already pay close to that in Canada and get next to nothing. No wonder why rogers can't reach a deal with apple.

Rogers: iPhone? Great! So we need a plan.... hmmm how's $75 a month with 20mb of data sound?

Apple: Lyk zomg wtf dats 2 much we won't sail any bai!
  • Reply 95 of 126
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Ok, I see where our confusion is coming from.

And I think that there will be until the 6 pm on Friday.

Personally, I don't think that the iPhone has a SIM card. It doesn't need one even if it were a true GSM, which by the way, there is no international law that dictates it be there or has an impossible penalty if it weren't. It is simply a standard.

As for the iPhone, Steve has made a virual SIM. Just connect to your computer and it autmatically activates your iTunes which then syncs everything that you need or want, and does it better than the old fashioned card. I'll bet when the next generation iPhone appears, it will automatically update itelf.

Traveling with your iPhone won't be a problem once and if the country you are in has the iPhone/carrier. Bet it will simply be as easy at it will be here at home. Everything will sync, no need to rent or purchase a new phone and swap a SIM card. Just activate your iPhone and voila you are connected. Countries without? Watch the roaming charges.

One thing that we should all applaud is the immense planning and development of and to the launch of the iPhone. What Steve has done, and with the help of thousands of other, is launch a revolution on the scale of the invasion of Europe. In total secrecy, on time and with such tenacity wipe the competition off the map to put Steve on the cover of Time once again.

Jobs for President.
  • Reply 96 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Personally, I don't think that the iPhone has a SIM card.

I give up...
  • Reply 97 of 126
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I give up...

I think you've been overly patient already.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    One of the first reviews, by Pogue, for the Times, if not THE first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/te...prod=permalink
  • Reply 99 of 126
    this is obviously my first post. I have been reading them for a week or so. I have not seen anything about whether or not Apple or AT&T will offer insurance for the phone???
  • Reply 100 of 126
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whynotamac View Post

this is obviously my first post. I have been reading them for a week or so. I have not seen anything about whether or not Apple or AT&T will offer insurance for the phone???

I'm 99% sure that Apple or ATT announced that you could NOT get insurance on the iPhone. So take care of it!