How many use Safari? If not, what do you use?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I like Safari, but a lot of sites do not respond to it. So my alternate is Camino

what do you use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Only Safari for me. If I ever do find a site that doesn't work (rare), screw it. Too much to look at without that worry.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Why do you prefer safari?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Snapback. Private Browsing. Speed, to name a few.

Now I am using the Beta. Movable/tear off tabs, even speedier, the new improved find feature, etc.

I have tried many of the available and capable browsers for the mac. Seems I always ended up going back to Safari. Now I just stay with it and love it.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Safari only here, too.

It works for me and I rarely find a site that doesn't work with it. (Of course this will soon change as more Windoze users start using it). I agree with kcmac: there are plenty of sites to surf to that do work on Safari so screw the rest.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    are you guys using the upgraded safari beta 3.0?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    I use both Safari 3.0 and Firefox (in rare circumstances..). I like Safari better. Firefox feels like a Windows app.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    use camino
  • Reply 8 of 34
    one of my betting books does not show the grids on safari, so I reported it to apple...should I expect them to fix it?

Also it worked under the safari 2.0 version, but hen I upgraded to the beta 3.0 it does not

thx
  • Reply 9 of 34
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Firefox; then Opera; then Safari. The reason I don't use Safari first is I haven't figured how to change how tabs work. If there are several tabs open and I click the red button, ALL the tabs are deleted. FireFox warns me that there are several tabs open.

Does anyone know how to do that in Safari? I haven't been able to use Safari 3 as I'm using Panther. SJ didn't see fit to extend S 3 to legacy OS X's although he did to legacy Windows. Bummer!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Firefox; then Opera; then Safari. The reason I don't use Safari first is I haven't figured how to change how tabs work. If there are several tabs open and I click the red button, ALL the tabs are deleted. FireFox warns me that there are several tabs open.

Does anyone know how to do that in Safari? I haven't been able to use Safari 3 as I'm using Panther. SJ didn't see fit to extend S 3 to legacy OS X's although he did to legacy Windows. Bummer!

Each tab has an X on it in Safari. Click the X and only that tab goes away. Actually, Safari 3 does warn you, which, ironically, I find annoying and wish I could do away with the warning.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Each tab has an X on it in Safari. Click the X and only that tab goes away. Actually, Safari 3 does warn you, which, ironically, I find annoying and wish I could do away with the warning.

I know about the x on the tabs. Unfortunately, I forget and hit the delete button which deletes ALL the tabs. To avoid that possibility, I use FireFox which does give a warning. Since I'm using OS X (10.3.9), the warning (in Safari 3) isn't in Safari 2 or I just haven't found that option.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    No, it is a new addition to Safari 3.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I use Safari almost exclusively. I need to use Firefox for one of my online bank accounts at present however, as that bank hasn't ratified Safari 3.0 yet.

I prefer it as it just feels so 'Apple'. The only thing that bugs me is that I would like an option to open links which open in new windows in new tabs instead. I know I can hold down a button to do it, but it would be nice to have a Preferences option. v3.0 does make some good changes like 'Merge All Windows' and drag re-order tabs though. I'm still not sure that auto-fill is 100% in v3.0 yet though.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    one of my betting books does not show the grids on safari, so I reported it to apple...should I expect them to fix it?

Also it worked under the safari 2.0 version, but hen I upgraded to the beta 3.0 it does not

thx
  • Reply 15 of 34
    anyone?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I prefer Safari, but the 1.3.2 release on Panther isn't the most stable browser in the world. Sometimes pages won't show up right, sometimes they will slow my Mac to a crawl, and sometimes it just plain crashes.

Firefox 2.0 might not look as pretty, but It has some of the features I like from Safari like the spellcheck and its rock solid.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I use camino first and then safari, which is now pretty rare. Camino (1.5) is much faster than safari (2.0) in my experience and more stable. Camino has never crashed on me. Now in all fairness safari is generally stable but it has crashed on me occasionally. I also prefer the tabbed browsing in camino over safari. When version 3.0 of safari comes out, not the beta, I'll definitely give it a look.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

I use three browsers -- Safari 3.0.2 beta, Firefox and Camino 1.5. Most of the time it is Firefox, which responds better for some websites I use, like Netflix.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    tycoonjotycoonjo Posts: 10member
    firefox is the BEST! Many plug-ins, fast, reliable
  • Reply 20 of 34
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I use Safari on my Mac. And now on the PCs at work.