throw corprate IT a bone Apple!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
where is the corporate documentation?

what am I and others in my position supposed to do when the high-dollar execs roll in Monday, toss me a phone and say "make it work with my email and tether it to my laptop for internet access"

My biggest concern is that the only ones who will buy the phone at launch will be the ones to whom IT cant just say "Nope." not for long anyway

PS there is a lot of blackberry hatred and a great platform could scoop p a ton of business customers if they get the back end right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

what am I and others in my position supposed to do when the high-dollar execs roll in Monday, toss me a phone and say "make it work with my email and tether it to my laptop for internet access"

My biggest concern is that the only ones who will buy the phone at launch will be the ones to whom IT cant just say "Nope." not for long anyway

PS there is a lot of blackberry hatred and a great platform could scoop p a ton of business customers if they get the back end right.

All they need is iTunes installed. It configures itself. You should not need documentation beyond that. The Application should walk you through your email setup. Just like a Mac. Very simple.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Unfortunately some firms will have this problem. However, we solved this by getting our board to sign off on all policy and procedure docs. We pulled our BES server out and now only run EAS. Our policy clearly states no IMAP or POP will ever be turned on.

We are a seperate department and even the CEO can't change it.......I do feel for you bro if this is not the case for you.

Have fun supporting IMAP or POP. I would go the IMAP route as its way more secure. \
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

All they need is iTunes installed. It configures itself. You should not need documentation beyond that. The Application should walk you through your email setup. Just like a Mac. Very simple.

Most large IT departments refuse to open POP or IMAP.

Syncing email over a cord is boo boo. In the world of BB and EAS this is not the way to go. Especially for road warriors.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Catering to capricious IT departments sounds like a waste of time and a slippery slope. Today they refuse to enable IMAP; who knows what they'll cripple tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

Catering to capricious IT departments sounds like a waste of time and a slippery slope. Today they refuse to enable IMAP; who knows what they'll cripple tomorrow.

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    able-xable-x Posts: 12member
    Agreed, this could be a very large problem. Luckily we got our CFO awhile to tell everyone "blackberry only you're SOL" because we had a bunch of people wanting to use Palm's and HotSync which is a pain to configure if you're not an admin on your box.

I just keep telling everyone "it won't work with exchange'. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it get's them to shut up about it :P