NYT's David Pogue: 'AT&T?s EDGE network is excruciatingly slow'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    chetnikchetnik Posts: 15member
    everything sounds good execpt EDGE. But I guess having some form of internet is better than none huh? Well, I will still be in line anyways :P
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Can somebody out there explain to me why Apple went with Edge. Is there some technical reason for using this technology that seems out of date and has had problems for several years?

Also, don't they require all cell phones to have a GPS chip for E911 services?

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Why is EDGE so slow on AT&T's network? I wonder why, because on the only EDGE network in Ireland (everyone else went straight to 3G and skipped EDGE), average speeds are 120-200kbps. That isn't exactly 3G, but it's much faster than dialup.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xenocobramac View Post

Can somebody out there explain to me why Apple went with Edge. Is there some technical reason for using this technology that seems out of date and has had problems for several years?

3G coverage is not that great right now. More importantly, most of the current 3G hardware sucks battery life like there's no tomorrow. This would be something of a non-starter on a phone w/o a removable battery. In the future it will undoubtedly be more practical.

Also, keep in mind that even HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A (3G, or even 3.5G standards) are still a lot slower to use than WiFi.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

Why is EDGE so slow on AT&T's network? I wonder why, because on the only EDGE network in Ireland (everyone else went straight to 3G and skipped EDGE), average speeds are 120-200kbps. That isn't exactly 3G, but it's much faster than dialup.

Yes, that's what it is here in the US, between 15 and 20 kilobyte per second. That may not sound that bad, but one wonders what possessed Steve to strike the deal with YouTube. People are going to go crazy trying to play videos over this horribly slow network. In comparison, AT&T's 3G gives you a consistent 60 to 80 kilobyte per second throughput. It may only sound like 4 times faster than EDGE, but it's the difference between pokey and broadband-like. I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to and what your expectations are...
  • Reply 6 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The real potential of the iPhone will be experienced when wi max is rolled out and the iPhone takes advantage of this technology. Excellent speed, wide area coverage, bye-bye Edge.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

3G coverage is not that great right now. More importantly, most of the current 3G hardware sucks battery life like there's no tomorrow. This would be something of a non-starter on a phone w/o a removable battery. In the future it will undoubtedly be more practical.

Also, keep in mind that even HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A (3G, or even 3.5G standards) are still a lot slower to use than WiFi.

I wish people knew this because there is so much hate for edge when they don't realize they might have have coverage in their area if it was 3g. Well I can't complain it just may mean others will skip so I can get one friday.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    There's a perception out there that AT&T's 3G coverage isn't as good as Verizon or Sprints. I don't know if it's true, but I imagine that could be a reason that the iPhone doesn't have it yet, and why Apple went to Verizon first before they turned them down.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I travel a lot and never have trouble finding wifi. And its pretty easy to find where I live. I see EDGE as being the 2nd option.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post

There's a perception out there that AT&T's 3G coverage isn't as good as Verizon or Sprints.

It's not a perception. Even ATT/Cingular's CEO has admitted in interviews that ATT's 3G deployment is 12 to 18 months behind Verizon's. They're prolly about the same amount of time behind Sprint's deployment as well.

Simply put, yeah, Verizon and Sprint both have much better 3G coverage than ATT. But ATT's 3G coverage should be pretty good in a year or so.

• Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post

everything sounds good execpt EDGE.

Well that, and ATT's network in general:

Pogue: The bigger problem is the AT&T network. In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T’s signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities.

My tests in five states bear this out. If Verizon’s slogan is, “Can you hear me now?” AT&T’s should be, “I’m losing you.”

Hopefully, ATT can improve fairly quickly. Don't wanna see 'em dragging the iPhone down.

• Reply 12 of 48
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    OK, I've just looked our 3G broadband plans here in NZ and a few things are becoming clear (no iTS purchases and 3G) - there's no way I'm going to spend $3,570/month on the same plan that costs $50/month at home - even in Kiwi dollars! Especially as coverage is not much better than WiFi.

I think when I'm on the move, I'll relax, have a coffee and surf at high speed for free (especially if that school/govt department/house don't have good security on their WLAN). If I'm disorganised, I deserve EDGE speeds.

McD
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Pogue is an idiot. This is the same man that has gotten virtually everything wrong in his prognosis of everything Apple: the iPod, the Mac Os and oh by the way, "sell Apple stock now" when it was $26 a share. I read his reviews with mirth.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    it's going to get slower.....a great wifi phone though......

tmobile hotspots should see a boost even if they lose customers.

apple had 2 viable options:

1) GSM carrier in US. They can roll out GSM phones for international markets

- ATT

- TMobile

Were the only options. Verizon with its proprietary sandbox Brew would not work for apple even though CDMA networks are far superior technically to GSM networks. GSM has widest coverage globally.

2) Apple MVNO

This is where Apple SHOULD go when their ATT contract comes up for renewal. They could buy an existing MVNO later on---Helio? Amp'd or one of the others and become like Virgin Mobile.

They were very smart to control the customer (billing) via iTunes for content billing. This ensures that they could transfer more easily to MVNO or Apple MVNO in the future.

They need GPS. The chips only cost $2-5 bucks now. SiRF makes them for GSM phones.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

apple had 2 viable options:

1) GSM carrier in US. They can roll out GSM phones for international markets

- ATT

- TMobile

I think that whole idea of a world phone is negated when you can't remove the card and put in another when you travel. Sure you phone will work, but it would be cheaper to just buy a new smart phone every time you need to make a call.

I think the reason they went with edge was simple. Yes it is slower, but it is more wide spread in the US which will allow Apple to sell their initial product to the widest possible audience. As they introduce additional models they can include standards and features that attract smaller more targeted audiences.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by momusicman View Post

Pogue is an idiot..

So is Mossberg an idiot too, because he also pointed out some things about the iPhone that were less than perfect? \

You gotta remember, its not an accident that these two guys are among the very first putting out real reviews for the iPhone... Apple granted them advance access based on their expertise and their history of being pretty pro-Apple.

If they're pointing these things out, just wait until more of the mainstream press gets their hands on the thing. It's going to be a bit rougher.

• Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

[Apple was] very smart to control the customer (billing) via iTunes for content billing. This ensures that they could transfer more easily to MVNO or Apple MVNO in the future.

NICE. I didn't see that one coming. And, bonus, they get even more folks to dload iTunes.

Wonder if Ballmer threw a chair?

• Reply 18 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by momusicman View Post

Pogue is an idiot. This is the same man that has gotten virtually everything wrong in his prognosis of everything Apple: the iPod, the Mac Os and oh by the way, "sell Apple stock now" when it was $26 a share. I read his reviews with mirth.

I actually happen to disagree with you quite vehemently. I think that he is one of the best tech reviewers around.

However, I am willing to be persuaded otherwise: Instead of a stream-of-consciousness slam, could you please provide any links to or citations for how he was "wrong in his prognosis of everything Apple: the iPod, the Mac Os and oh by the way, "sell Apple stock now" when it was $26 a share."
  • Reply 19 of 48
    The video David Pogue put together had me in stitches.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nytimes-p...iew-272554.php
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

The video David Pogue put together had me in stitches.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nytimes-p...iew-272554.php

Classic!

*crowd mobs Pogue for his iPhone*

Pogue: Guys! GUYS! It's AT& T ONLY!!

Crowd: Awww. *walks away*

The Secret Service-looking dude was funny too.