Apple says iPhone can be activated by users at home

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Who cares???? I need a 'free' account to read the NY Times. Seems fair to me. I need an account with apple to activate their phone. What's the real difference.

If I don't want to I never need to read the Times again, or go to the iTS again.

Apple is not the mobile carrier, AT&T is. That's the real difference. Apple does not send me my phone bill, AT&T does. That's the real difference. So the only company that I should need an account with is AT&T. Unless I plan to purchase music from iTunes, which I don't. I'm sure that if Motorola, Samsung, LG or Audiovox all required people to set up accounts with them to activate their phones, everybody would be up in arms about it, complaining about corporate greed, invasion of privacy, etc.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple is not the mobile carrier, AT&T is. That's the real difference. Apple does not send me my phone bill, AT&T does. That's the real difference. So the only company that I should need an account with is AT&T. Unless I plan to purchase music from iTunes, which I don't. I don't need an account with Motorola, Samsung, LG or Audiovox to activate their phones.

But like I said who cares??? There's no obligation here, just like the Times, they don't send you a bill, just like the Times (only one of many many many examples on the web). No harm no foul, just like the times.

They will be providing warranty, software updates, etc. so there is SOME connection, just like the Times that provides news I want to read (sometimes
  • Reply 83 of 94
    arnez5arnez5 Posts: 2member
    So, now that Apple/AT&T have announced the rate plans and ability to activate at home, any word as to when the buy link will go live on Apple's online store? Specifically, I wonder if one will be able to purchase online on the 28th in order to receive the phone on the 29th...or soon after.

My guess is that the 29th at 6pm is absolute for all sales. Just curious.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

But like I said who cares??? There's no obligation here, just like the Times, they don't send you a bill, just like the Times (only one of many many many examples on the web). No harm no foul, just like the times.

They will be providing warranty, software updates, etc. so there is SOME connection, just like the Times that provides news I want to read (sometimes

How many of those "free", "no obligation", "No harm no foul" sites ask for credit card information? Does the Times ask for your credit card?
  • Reply 85 of 94
    I wonder if this will make it easier for someone to use a stolen iPhone.?

Hopefully when you register one you have bought they will keep your serial # in their database. So if it does get stolen and you notify AT&T and someone tries to activate it with their account it is reported as stolen. And the information on the person is sent to local law enforcement.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just to be sure, I would bet the farm that there is no SIM card for the iPhone. It doesn't have a slot for one. It doesn't use one period.

You owe me one farm, buddy. Contact me with your bank account number and I'll arrange for transfer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Sorry, Apple has never said it has a sim slot, and having a picture with a big arrow and the word SIM on it doesn't make it have one. Neither do shots showing what looks like cracks in the plastic that could hold a sim card.

For the nine-million and one-th time (I used nine-million on another thread ), THE iPHONE DOES HAVE A SIM CARD AND A REMOVABLE SIM CARD SLOT!!!!!!!!

Quote:

And even if it does have all of that, there's nothing that says the SIM cards it uses are tailored for the iPhone and it won't work without that type of card.

That's right, there's nothing that says that. So why would you assume it?
  • Reply 87 of 94
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

For the nine-million and one-th time (I used nine-million on another thread ), THE iPHONE DOES HAVE A SIM CARD AND A REMOVABLE SIM CARD SLOT!!!!!!!!

Interesting: ""Downsides noted by Walt and Katie: No SIM card (which means you can't use it on T-Mobile and can't buy cheap voice minutes or data when you're overseas" http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/004739.html
  • Reply 88 of 94
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Simple, but game-changing. Yet again. Makes one go, "duh, why didn't the service provider bozos think of something so obvious before?"

(Now we know why Apple recommended that users download iTunes if they want to use the iPhone. The bottom line is, this is is going to be substantially an "Apple product-use" experience [rather than an ATT experience], from the user's standpoint. The SPs are being rightfully put in their place. Finally, they are being told that they are just the providers of pipes/infrastructure through which we can finally begin to enjoy cell phones. It totally shatters the current model, which is sort of like an electric utility controlling which appliance I can use at what price for what use-type plans they approved!).

Alright, I confess... I still don't have a cell, a mobile, or anything else that works outside my home or office-- I do have wireless Panasonic phones in my home and even an answering machine. I've always hated the idea of being called anywhere anytime, and I know my loved one does not want to know where I am every moment so that I can stop by for milk at the corner store, or call and say, "i'm on the bus and will be home in 5 minutes," like so many of my fellow Manhattanites. For me a phone is mainly there for when I pick a time to call someone, or for interntional calls-- I use the AT&T international plan and it has been great--

BUT, I really like the idea of giving the whole thing a fling with the iPhone. I'm always using my MBP and email, and I love the idea of learning this one's technology, and my iPod is my link to the world of podcasts, but mostly Science Friday and Christopher Lydon's Open Source, I must confess. So, I just might do it, but I have no idea what package to pick and the AT&T shop guys have narry a clue!
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

Interesting: ""Downsides noted by Walt and Katie: No SIM card (which means you can't use it on T-Mobile and can't buy cheap voice minutes or data when you're overseas" http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/004739.html

I really never thought I'd have to be this Wilco-ish, but, : Are you retarded? Seriously, are you? (By saying this, I mean no disrespect for actually retarded people, only towards people who, lacking the actual disorder, still manage to put up a great imitation.)
  • Reply 90 of 94
    This is what Walt actually says:

Quote:

It only works with AT&T (formerly Cingular), won’t come in models that use Verizon or Sprint and can’t use the digital cards (called SIM cards) that would allow it to run on T-Mobile’s network.

i.e. it doesn't use T-Mobile's SIM cards. As expected. He doesn't say that it doesn't have a SIM card.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

My GOD! End this already! It HAS a sim card. Jobs stated this during the Macworld keynote past January.

Go and download it from iTunes.

At 39:12 into the presentation, he shows that it has a sim card at the top of the phone.

Now, stop it already. This is getting ridiculous!

Before you make any more statements about this, and continue to look totally incompetent, look it up for yourself, instead of continuing to restate the same absurd statement!!!
  • Reply 92 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I really never thought I'd have to be this Wilco-ish, but, : Are you retarded? Seriously, are you? (By saying this, I mean no disrespect for actually retarded people, only towards people who, lacking the actual disorder, still manage to put up a great imitation.)

That's actually very good.

• Reply 93 of 94
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member
    Quote:

This is what Walt actually says:

i.e. it doesn't use T-Mobile's SIM cards. As expected. He doesn't say that it doesn't have a SIM card.

You can put a T-Mobile SIM card (or any other SIM card for that matter) in the iPhone, however since the iPhone is *SIM-locked* as most contract GSM phone are, it can't *use* that card for service. at&t has already announced that the iPhone SIM will be specially provisioned (set up and identified in at&t's system) so that it *will not* allow you to use the iPhone data plan on *any other* phone on the at&t network. Voice, however, will work.

Now the million dollar question is whether the iPhone will ever get officially "unlocked" for use on other networks (e.g. if I was going to travel to Europe or am finished with my contract)
  • Reply 94 of 94
    So I called yet again, to try to get out of my iWait mode. Figured if this article was right, most people wouldn't call AT&T or the Activation Line back to let them know about it. So, regardless, on my second call, and yet another 50 minutes on hold, my call was answered by a Mr. T.J. Issack--- the most helpful and amazing person in my last 17 hour ordeal (I know, I got off easy).

After explaining the zip code problem, his response was, "How would you like to be up and running in five minutes?" He didn't get me up and running in five minutes. He got me up and running in two minutes!!

I offered to write a letter or email of praise for his amazing ability to actually get me activated, but he denied. From his accent, he was most likely in Canada, and from comments on the time difference I'm guessing somewhere West Coast.

T.J. Issack, wherever you are.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

(Now, I'm still waiting for actual service to kick in, but I am confirmed that my number is transfering, and am unlocked).