AT&T posts iPhone FAQ, says it won't offer wireless insurance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?

A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

So, how do you transfer all of those phone numbers from the old phone to the new? Isn't that the point of a sim card?

All of those phone numbers are *supposed* to be in your contacts on either your Mac or PC.....which then would get sync-ed up. But I suspect not everyone has that. But just think, you'll be a pro at using the keyboard after re-typing all of your contacts!

As far as the SIM goes, I've always hated the way contacts are stored on a SIM. If I have a contact with 3 different phone numbers (cell, home, office), and then store it on the SIM, it gets stored as three different entries. And you can forget about other details of the contact like email address, street address, notes, etc.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    most apple authorized shops are able to replace parts within 1 to 2 days on my area, not to mention its free for one year, on the other hand if you like to abuse stuff, its probabily not a good bussiness for you
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?

A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

So, how do you transfer all of those phone numbers from the old phone to the new? Isn't that the point of a sim card?

The most current reviews and specs of the iPhone have listed that there is a sim card slot on the top of the phone between the headphone jack and the sleep/wake button. Apple suggests that you use the pre-installed sim card but it is not mandatory. You do however have to activate the phone. But once this is done, you should be able to switch the sim cards. I would recommend doing what the articles say in regards to getting ready for it and get all of your contacts into outlook/entourage now. I did this with over 300 contacts and it did not take me very long at all.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Really? You think a lot of people would pay $775 for an 8 GB iPod?

Why not just wait until the next gen iPod comes out, probably in the fall? Most likely it will come in larger capacities and be far less expensive.

Because any new iPods probably won't have WiFi 'net connectivity.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've been with AT&T for years and I have never had INCOMING text messages count against my limit.

I think that you should re-check your bill. If you look closely, the sms messages are numbered and alongside them, it says incoming or outgoing. All of these messages add up on your bill and then are counted together. There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages. That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call. Use common sense and think about the fact that they will charge you every cent that they can. I have been with Cingular, now At&t, for over 7 years. Many, many times, I have gone over on my sms messages because of my incoming messages and I got charged the usual $.10/message overage.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atlguy3369 View Post

I think that you should re-check your bill. If you look closely, the sms messages are numbered and alongside them, it says incoming or outgoing. All of these messages add up on your bill and then are counted together. There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages. That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call.

Actually, there are many wireless carriers in the world who do exactly what you claim none will do: not charge you when you receive a call, or an SMS, from another person. In fact, this is standard in most of Europe: when someone calls a wireless number, the person who places the call is charged the normal rate for calling to that area, plus a wireless surcharge (usually about $0.04 per minute). The person who receives the call on their wireless pays absolutely nothing.

This is why, in many parts of the world, even relatively poor persons have mobile phones. They simply buy a phone with a very small pre-paid account balance (you can get a decent, basic Siemens phone with approx. $5 of credit for as little $20 in France or Germany, for example), and then use the phone primarily to receive calls, which costs them nothing. The same is true for SMS messages; no charge to receive in many cases.

My friends and colleagues in Europe are always appalled when they find out that mobile users in the U.S. have to pay for both calls made and calls received.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:

If the numbers are already in your Mac Address book, there is no issue, the iPhone will be loaded with them.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Q: Does the Q&A format remind me of the way Dwight Schrute talks?

A: Yes, it does.

Yeah, about half way through I found that I had been reading with his voice (or cadence) in mind.

(Either him or Dick Cheney...)
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:

That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call.

So you are saying it would be like almost every single country in the world? (outside the US) Many foreigners I know think it is absurd that US wireless companies can charge for calls that a customer did not place.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

If the numbers are already in your Mac Address book, there is no issue, the iPhone will be loaded with them.

You are stating the obvious because that is a pretty big IF in there. Considering most phones don't have a data port, that is exactly why I am asking how!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

This is common with smart phones. People drop them too often, and they're too expensive to replace. It doesn't make good business sense to insure such devices at the usual carrier rates.

You may find a third party that will do it, but expect to pay quite a bit monthly.

I have coverage for my Treo 700p for $6 a month with Sprint.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

I think that you should re-check your bill. If you look closely, the sms messages are numbered and alongside them, it says incoming or outgoing. All of these messages add up on your bill and then are counted together. There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages. That would be like someone calling you and you not getting charged for the minutes since that person was the one that placed the call. Use common sense and think about the fact that they will charge you every cent that they can. I have been with Cingular, now At&t, for over 7 years. Many, many times, I have gone over on my sms messages because of my incoming messages and I got charged the usual $.10/message overage.

Thanks, but I just rechecked my bill. Every single one of last month's text messages says "Out" in the "In/Out" column. So to me it definitely looks like I pay only for *outgoing* text messages.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

There is not a wireless carrier in the world that only charges for outgoing messages.

That's what alltell does. Their TV ads tell me so all the time.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    I have Cingular and I do get charged for incoming messages. The only ones that I don't get charged for are the ones that Cingular generate to notify me of special offers.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Some cell phone companies here in the US gives you the first minute of a incoming call for free. This helps with the incoming call problem, if after a minute, you still want to talk to the person who has called you, you should be charged.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

So you are saying it would be like almost every single country in the world? (outside the US) Many foreigners I know think it is absurd that US wireless companies can charge for calls that a customer did not place.

• Reply 36 of 56
    o2unixo2unix Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

Q. How do I upgrade to iPhone?

A. Just go to an AT&T retail store, and mention you're replacing your existing phone. Our salespeople will help you through the process and answer any questions you have.

SO i cant buy one at a apple store ?!??!

Or are they saying this incase you have credit built up to buy a iphone ? I dont and dont want to wait @ at a ATT store to find out they are out of stock. Too much room for BS at a ATT store.

Why cant I buy it at a Apple Store

I would have to agree with you, it took my wife 3 hours to get a phone at a ATT store and it only took me 7 minutes online.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Some cell phone companies here in the US gives you the first minute of a incoming call for free. This helps with the incoming call problem, if after a minute, you still want to talk to the person who has called you, you should be charged.

I understand that is how it works in the US (sometimes without the 1 minute free). But why are you so convinced it "should" be that way? Shouldn't we as consumers try to be more critical of practices like this? After all, most countries do not seem do think it "should" be this way.

It seems as though most of the world's cell phone users believe that only 1 person should pay for the phone call. Why is that such an outrageous thought for us consumers?

I think there are some positives to the system we have in the US, and some negatives. It is our duty as consumers to question the practices of the providers to encourage competitiveness in the industry world wide.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by o2unix View Post

I would have to agree with you, it took my wife 3 hours to get a phone at a ATT store and it only took me 7 minutes online.

Maybe this is part of the profit sharing agreement. Cingular just want their cut to be bigger. I am certain you can buy it at the Apple Store. That is what I plan to do.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

Q. How do I upgrade to iPhone?

A. Just go to an AT&T retail store, and mention you're replacing your existing phone. Our salespeople will help you through the process and answer any questions you have.

SO i cant buy one at a apple store ?!??!

Or are they saying this incase you have credit built up to buy a iphone ? I dont and dont want to wait @ at a ATT store to find out they are out of stock. Too much room for BS at a ATT store.

Why cant I buy it at a Apple Store

You can. The activation process in iTunes has a place where you can select that you are replacing your existing phone.

But some of the questions on the FAQ are really stupid and don't even answer the question.

Quote:

Can I use the SIM card from my current mobile phone?

You should use the SIM card that came preinstalled in the iPhone.

That's nice, but can I use the SIM card from my current mobile phone?

Quote:

Can I ?unlock? iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States. If you currently use another wireless carrier, you can choose to transfer your number when you activate your AT&T account.

Yeah, good to know, <sigh> but back to my question, Can I ?unlock? iPhone and use it with another wireless carrier?

• Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, you're locked into contract with ATT. so far, other sim cards will not work. If you somehow manage to get the phone unlocked, and pay ATT the $175 breakup fee, possibly another sim card will work, but, it doesn't seem likely right now.

OK, thanks. That would be an answer to the question. But that's not what Apple posted, is it? That's my point.

If they don't want to answer the question honestly and clearly, don't ask it.

Edit: These posting problems are starting to get VERY annoying!