I'm Not Getting an iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Why?

1. It's not in my summer budget

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

3. Storage totally inadequate. 4GB? 8GB? That's a joke, Apple. I can put a few movies and some of my music. Not good enough.

4. The rush of users is going to overwhelm the system for activation and temporarily, usage. Just my opinion.

5. I have doubts about the first rev of a product from Apple. I've never bought one. Period.

6. No flash support.

7. No wireless sync

That's the list of deal breakers for me. I realize it's not comprehensive, like the "iPhone Doesn't Have It" thread. Those are the ones that I need to see corrected (the budget, though listed first...well we know that would be placed aside!).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

2. EDGE speed looks to suck as much or more than we thought.

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Looking at your "Location" line, I seriously doubt you have 3G service where you live.

Yea... but come on NEVER let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of people screaming over no 3G support are in a similar spot.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 105
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm struggling with the decision. The device is quite appealing and my wife's contract with Nextel expires at the end of the month. However ATT service in my area sucks, and I can't help thinking that version 2 will be better and cheaper.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm struggling with the decision. The device is quite appealing and my wife's contract with Nextel expires at the end of the month. However ATT service in my area sucks, and I can't help thinking that version 2 will be better and cheaper.

An rev 3 will be better and cheaper than that
  • Reply 5 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

An rev 3 will be better and cheaper than that

Hence the struggle with the decision.

More specifically, I think several things may happen that will address the deficiencies of the current device.

1) ATT will improve its EDGE service and service in general.

2) Wifi will continue it's proliferation thus making EDGE service deficiency less an issue.

3) WiMAX will be deployed and supported on future iPhones and EDGE is a thing of the past.

I think these things will occur within 2 years.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Quote:

Well, he's only about 8-15 miles from 3G coverage.

I would think within the next year he'll get it into his area.

Maybe just in time for the next iPhone?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
  • Reply 7 of 105
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There's a number of things about it that I want to see improved before I buy. A lot of them can likely be resolved with a software update, but until I know that update takes place I'm gunshy to jump in.

But storage is a big sticking point for me. I need for the thing to have at least 32GB before I'm willing to buy.

For that kind of money I really also want the thing to have built-in GPS if at all possible.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I'm confused. My coverage area says I have 3G coverage but I've heard that 3G chips are banned in the U.S.? So what am I missing here?
  • Reply 9 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

T

But storage is a big sticking point for me. I need for the thing to have at least 32GB before I'm willing to buy.

Yet another feature I expect to see in version 2 that would be quite welcome. I can probably get by with 8 gb but 32gb would make storage a non issue for me.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm confused. My coverage area says I have 3G coverage but I've heard that 3G chips are banned in the U.S.? So what am I missing here?

I'm not really sure about that. But what I am sure of is that if you have a 3G capable smartphone like the Samsung Blackjack, for example, you would have 3G speeds here in the U.S. wherever there is 3G coverage.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    No video recording? What a load of rubbish.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

No video recording? What a load of rubbish.

First - who cares (my opinion obviously) but that said I would say no video recording for now. Apple may, or may not, add a given feature depending on what demand is really like but the great thing is they can add it easily and simply and automatically (with your choice not to if you want) because of the iTunes connection.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    If they wanted it in they would have done that in the first place, im sure they dont want people right of the jump asking for new things. Christ Jobs said its been 2 years in the making and if they havent put it in now ill bet they wont put it in period.

The fact is that as the list of have nots grow ever more for this phone its becoming more and more difficult for the OSX, UI and Coverflow alone to stand up to the competition.

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face
  • Reply 14 of 105
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    My list:

Microsoft Exchange support (besides IMAP). RPC/DAV?

Cut/Copy/Paste functionality

VPN client (apple claims this exists?)

SSH client

ARD admin/client? Or VNC.

SDK - "Power to the programmers"

MMS support for phone-to-phone pics

Java/Flash support

.Mac integration (I bet this happens)

SlingPlayer client would be fun

User created/edited ring tones from songs etc

VOIP - Like the Cisco iPhone LOL

Flash expansion card for storage (since the internal storage is small)

GPS support (I shoudn't have to tell Google Maps where I am, it should tell me!)

Replaceable Battery

iTunes Music Store connectivity. Let me buy my music/videos on my phone.

iChat app (Yahoo, AIM etc) Adium mobile?

Standard SIM card (Unlock the iPhone)

Bigger internal storage 4/8 GB is pretty small

Voice dial

Robust alarm clock app

Video camera

Lower price!

T-Mobile :0)
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:

If they wanted it in they would have done that in the first place, im sure they dont want people right of the jump asking for new things. Christ Jobs said its been 2 years in the making and if they havent put it in now ill bet they wont put it in period.

The fact is that as the list of have nots grow ever more for this phone its becoming more and more difficult for the OSX, UI and Coverflow alone to stand up to the competition.

The fact is that this phone will already be superceded in specs when its hits the shelves.

Things like no MMS or video recording are just a slap in the face

Lets see.... they've already 'added' vpn support, and YouTube support and are going to add Exchange support from the initial published features. So seems like their open to the idea.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea... but come on NEVER let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

I'd be willing to bet that a substantial number of people screaming over no 3G support are in a similar spot.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I would think within the next year he'll get it into his area.

Maybe just in time for the next iPhone?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

I don't know about ATT...but we have Verizon EVDO everywhere. The vast majority of my driving around the area is in the VZW broadband network. I'll be happy to wait a year if needed. Most of my deal breakers should be fixed by then. Some are less important than others. The storage could be worked around, but the speed is the real killer for me.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Of course; no device can have every "spec." But consider this: How many phones have 4 or 8 gigs standard - any? A 320X480 screen - any? Wifi - a few? The iPhone kicks ass on "specs" in comparison to other phones, and anyone who says otherwise just isn't being objective. And that's not even getting into the intangibles like its user interface, which is the real selling point anyway. Perhaps you're just jealous of us Yanks that you can't get one?
  • Reply 18 of 105
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    just think about it you buy it, use it for a while then by january the new 3G model should be anounce, thats when it gets fun, you suckered someone on ebay for about 500+ with out contract and you get the new one, by that time you should have 3G in your area if you dont, remember the only reason we dont have it, and most europeans country do is because, most of there countries are the size of ellis island with out the statue there ok, we are working on it, we have to worried about others things to like inmigration, iraq and area 51 + UFOs and paris hilton,toys r us all kinds of stuff, besides we like them to try sfuff first, specially when they might be radiation involve
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

...remember the only reason we dont have it, and most europeans country do is because, most of there countries are the size of ellis island with out the statue there ok, we are working on it, we have to worried about others things to like inmigration, iraq and area 51 + UFOs and paris hilton,toys r us all kinds of stuff, besides we like them to try sfuff first, specially when they might be radiation involve

Dennis Leary, is that you?

"NyQuil, NyQuil, NyQuil, we love you you giant F*#!ING Q!"
  • Reply 20 of 105
    That was one of the most unfunny attempts to be funny that I've ever seen.

(Not you Cosmo.)