iPhone Dual Dock; Apple Store downtime; new Apple video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    tcltcl Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CI0002 View Post

Call to Apple got response that as of now it is planned to have the Apple online Store open at 6 pm local time in each time zone.

That'd be a neat trick...

If it's done though iTunes (i.e. iPhone sales), then I could see them pulling that off as it would be aware of your address when you logged into your account.

The logistics otherwise are pretty mindboggling.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I think you mean "you're".

Hey.... YOUR rite...
  • Reply 23 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

And how exactly are they going to do that?

Why it's simple... EVERYONE knows that each time zone has a different address range!
  • Reply 24 of 59
    arnez5arnez5 Posts: 2member
    I trust the person you talked to on the phone, but there seems to be some inconsistency among the Apple reps. In an online chat I had 2 minutes ago, the rep was careful to say I could purchase at retail store at 6pm local, but online would be 6pm PST. I do agree, however, that it shouldn't be difficult to bring the back up according to time zone.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

And how exactly are they going to do that?

That's easy to do. That's what computers are for.

They know where your computer is located when you enter the site, so they know what time zone you're in, all they have to do is direct you to pages that are appropriate to the time.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    I'm curious if any education, government, or developer discounts will apply to the iPhone. I'm guessing no, but it might be worth waiting until the store reopens to see. I hope the online store does reopen 6pm locally so I can check before walking into my local AT&T store!

iPod discounts exist, but are minor.

80GB iPod retail: $349

Government: $328 (6%)

Developer: $314 (10%)

Not sure about Education, probably around Government.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

I'm curious if any education, government, or developer discounts will apply to the iPhone. I'm guessing no, but it might be worth waiting until the store reopens to see. I hope the online store does reopen 6pm locally so I can check before walking into my local AT&T store!

iPod discounts exist, but are minor.

80GB iPod retail: $349

Government: $328 (6%)

Developer: $314 (10%)

Not sure about Education, probably around Government.

WTH do developers get a 10 percent discount for the iPod? Oh, well I guess they can make games for it.. But other than that isn't it a closed platform?
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

WTH do developers get a 10 percent discount for the iPod? Oh, well I guess they can make games for it.. But other than that isn't it a closed platform?

Just about everything Apple-made on the store is discounted at least a bit. Spare MBP batteries, power cords, etc. Unto itself it isn't worth the $500 annual membership, but it's a nice thank-you from Apple to developers. Big-ticket items can be break-even or better. A stock MacPro is $500 off, so break-even. A 7GB XServe RAID is a mere $9919, but that's $2480 off. You only get one computer purchase per year (meant for development purposes), but accessories don't seem to be tracked.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I may be alone in this, but I've always hated predictive spelling on my cell phones.

Its probably personal preference but clearly it saves you time if you don't have to spell out the entire word. And they show you can skip the suggested word if its not what you are intending.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:

Just about everything Apple-made on the store is discounted at least a bit. Spare MBP batteries, power cords, etc. Unto itself it isn't worth the $500 annual membership, but it's a nice thank-you from Apple to developers. Big-ticket items can be break-even or better. A stock MacPro is $500 off, so break-even. A 7GB XServe RAID is a mere $9919, but that's $2480 off. You only get one computer purchase per year (meant for development purposes), but accessories don't seem to be tracked.

If you can break even with a Mac Pro purchase, and then come ahead with accessory purchases, the question is whether they care if you're actually developing anything.

Do they keep track of that in some way, or do they just leave you alone, except for sending you updates and such?

If they don't bother, it would pay to join, just for the info and discounts.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's easy to do. That's what computers are for.

They know where your computer is located when you enter the site, so they know what time zone you're in, all they have to do is direct you to pages that are appropriate to the time.

How accurate is that?

The most accurate I can think of is if you already have an account and the cookie is still in your computer, then they can look up your account.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Finally, Apple on Wednesday expanded its iPhone education tutorial by posting yet another video guide, this time demonstrating the device's virtual keyboard and smart correct typing software.

And Apple STILL doesn't tell us whether the keyboard can rotate to landscape orientation.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How accurate is that?

The most accurate I can think of is if you already have an account and the cookie is still in your computer, then they can look up your account.

They don't need to have your account for that. Every site that you go to knows where you are, what computer and OS you're using, which browser, what time it is where you are, and your IP address.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:

If you can break even with a Mac Pro purchase, and then come ahead with accessory purchases, the question is whether they care if you're actually developing anything.

Do they keep track of that in some way, or do they just leave you alone, except for sending you updates and such?

If they don't bother, it would pay to join, just for the info and discounts.

No, they don't track. Many developers do contract work and in-house work that wouldn't be trackable. They charge you the $500 to join, and the rest is on the honor system (although it is spelled out as part of the contract). It would be rude if people take advantage just to save a few bucks. If anyone does, I hope they avail themselves of the cool developer tools/beta reviewing, and file bug reports and learn a few things. It's really a good program.

And if you do buy an XServe RAID for a $2400 savings, spend some of that savings on a ticket to WWDC and learn some serious stuff!
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:

They don't need to have your account for that. Every site that you go to knows where you are, what computer and OS you're using, which browser, what time it is where you are, and your IP address.

I don't think the client local time is part of the HTTP info sent by the client. I could be wrong, but I don't see it show up in my docs.

Many (but not all) IP address are easily trackable back to at least the general location. I have a cable modem; my IP tracks to the closest major city (about 20 miles away). You can see this at http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And Apple STILL doesn't tell us whether the keyboard can rotate to landscape orientation.

They would have no reason not to, and every reason to, I would suspect that as they show the phone revolving for other features, they would surely show it for this critical one as well. No phone reviewer has mentioned a horizontal keyboard layout.

Since they don't, it's not likely that it does.

But, this is one of the things that a software update/upgrade could correct, as it is just a program, and isn't hardwired.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

No, they don't track. Many developers do contract work and in-house work that wouldn't be trackable. They charge you the $500 to join, and the rest is on the honor system (although it is spelled out as part of the contract). It would be rude if people take advantage just to save a few bucks. If anyone does, I hope they avail themselves of the cool developer tools/beta reviewing, and file bug reports and learn a few things. It's really a good program.

And if you do buy an XServe RAID for a $2400 savings, spend some of that savings on a ticket to WWDC and learn some serious stuff!

I agree. I haven't programmed for years, but keep thinking to join just to study the software, and play around with the developer tools.

Who knows, that might lead to something. But, you never know until you try.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

All but the time zone is sent to the server by the browser, and a lot of that information can be spoofed by some browsers, if not all of them. Well, I'm not so sure about computer type or OS, unless it is interpreted from or given in the user agent string. So where does the time zone information come from? If the browser does send the time information to the server, then it shouldn't be that hard to fake it, a West-Coaster can just spoof the time to get an east-coast order time. All this seems like a dubious exercise anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I haven't used it on a cell phone, but yeah, I could see it being really obnoxious. I hate it when MS Word is always trying to guess what I'm doing.

Everyone who feels that way, in my experience, has simply never been shown how to use it properly. I've had several people say that to me, and I pull them aside and show them how you use it and the response, 100% of the time, has been OOOOOOHHHHH! That's how it works!

Remember to type a word like Apple, you type 17753, and don't worry about what is happening on the screen until you hit the 3 key. Bet that helps
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

All but the time zone is sent to the server by the browser, and a lot of that information can be spoofed by some browsers, if not all of them. Well, I'm not so sure about computer type or OS, unless it is interpreted in the user agent string. So where does the time zone information come from? If the browser does send the time information to the server, then it shouldn't be that hard to fake it, a West-Coaster can just spoof the time to get an east-coast order time. All this seems like a dubious exercise anyway.

Jeff, you're going way past.

You can't really spoof too much of this easily. Besides, very few people are going to even try.

Anyway, your IP reflects whether you are using NAT.