AT&T: iPhone sales limited to 'one per person'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wireless carrier AT&T said Wednesday it plans to limit iPhone sales at its retail stores to 'one per person' on Friday -- the first day the eagerly sought Apple handset is due to go on sale nationwide.

"With iPhone arriving June 29th at 6 p.m. in AT&T retail stores, the wait is almost over. Use our online store locator to find the closest AT&T store that sells Apple iPhone (limit one per person)," the company wrote in an email to subscribers. "We'll show you maps, directions, and everything you need to get your hands on an iPhone as quickly as possible."

Apple retail stores are also expected to limit the number of iPhones its shopper can purchase on the first day, though it has not said how many that will be. Obviously, both AT&T and Apple are in the business of improving their bottom lines, and will ease the limitation over time.

For its part, Apple will also be making iPhone available for purchase from its online store, where it's unlikely to impose limits.

A copy of the AT&T email follows:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Use our online store locator to find the closest AT&T store that sells Apple iPhone (limit one per person)," . . .

Good for them. I would really hate to get in line for this thing, only to see people coming out of the line with 2 or 3of them. That would piss me off! Plus it would ditract from "Ebayers" and the like from buying several of these things and then selling them online for profit.

Want an iPhone, then STAND IN LINE!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Well, so if I need one for me, my wife and my daughter... I'm SOL? Even if I transfer 3 lines from Verizon to AT&T?

Too bad for my wife and daughter then...
  • Reply 3 of 64
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I just remembered that there is both an AT&T store (upstairs) and an Apple store (downstairs) in my mall. It's going to be mayhem!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Well, so if I need one for me, my wife and my daughter... I'm SOL? Even if I transfer 3 lines from Verizon to AT&T?

Too bad for my wife and daughter then...

Well no. Too bad for your wife and daughter for the first FEW DAYS only. This I beleive is only for the first few days to give everyone a fair chance on getting their hands on an iPhone. I'm sorry, but there would be no way for anyone to determine if one is buying to scalp these things or one is getting them for their family. So for now, your wife and daughter are going to have to wait. Sorry. Unless of course they want to wait in line - just like everyone else.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Well no. Too bad for your wife and daughter for the first FEW DAYS only. This I beleive is only for the first few days to give everyone a fair chance on getting their hands on an iPhone. I'm sorry, but there would be no way for anyone to determine if one is buying to scalp these things or one is getting them for their family. So for now, your wife and daughter are going to have to wait. Sorry. Unless of course they want to wait in line - just like everyone else.

Yes, they could. In store activation of all the phones on the account simultaneously would lock the phones to the account without the ability to sell them.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    What's wrong with people putting them on ebay for profit. If they buy it, it's theirs to with as they please.

Quote:

One per person is dumb for someone on a family plan.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What's wrong with people putting them on ebay for profit. If they buy it, it's theirs to with as they please.

That's some family there where everyone gets their own $499 or $599 phone!

I think a limit of two is more reasonable, you know, for the spouse.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    I don't see why not. Three is just one more than 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think a limit of two is more reasonable, you know, for the spouse.

• Reply 9 of 64
    atxz06atxz06 Posts: 11member
    It's one per person, not one per account. If your daughter and wife are in line with you, they can each buy their own based upon the wording.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Well, we've made just over $10,000 on Apple stock in the last 4 months, so I'll sell a bit of stock on friday to pay for them.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Well, we've made just over $10,000 on Apple stock in the last 4 months, so I'll sell a bit of stock on friday to pay for them.

Ain't the 'perfect circle' of capitalism amazing! Develop a great product, hype it (believably and intelligently) thereby getting the stock price up, have your shareholders use the profit from the stock gain to buy the product, thereby justifying/validating the hype that led to the stock price gain in the first place!

• Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atxz06 View Post

It's one per person, not one per account. If your daughter and wife are in line with you, they can each buy their own based upon the wording.

Thanks for backing me on this.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

I agree 100%. Sounds like their reversion to type: typical service provider control-freak behavior.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:

What's wrong with people putting them on ebay for profit. If they buy it, it's theirs to with as they please

-BlackSummerNight

Then on that same reasoning, I guess you won't mind buying your concert tickets from scalpers at 200% markup even though you waited in line for tickets and didn't get any? Come on!

Plus, if someone wants to buy an iphone to sell on eBay, then fine. But it will only be one iPhone, not 20.

If you want to get an ass-full of iPhones then bring the whole family. What's the matter, they all can't come? Then I guess they have more important things to do. If they have more important things to do, then I guess being the "first" to get an iPhone is not that important.

Basically it comes down to this: If getting an iPhone in the first few days is THAT important to you, then stand in line. If its not, then wait. It's that simple.

All they are trying to do is to make it fair so that everyone who is waiting in line for these things gets a fair shake. That's all.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I second TitoC. Right on brother.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    atxz06atxz06 Posts: 11member
    I think the policy should be that existing customers can buy as many phones as you have lines of service... new customers can buy as many as they transfer. The problem is that shifting the validation to iTunes means the stores have no way to enforce policy or either drag the line down to a crawl.

If the policy was to prevent ebayers... the apple stores and online store would do the same. The fact that this isn't the case seems to indicate that it's control behavior as indicated by anantksundaram above.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Well, you know, people never pay for scalpers for tickets after they charge more than their worth.

Why bring the entire family when 1 person will do.

Doesn't matter how important it is to anyone, it's just a dumb idea.

Fugg fair, first come first serve is logical.

Quote:

Then on that same reasoning, I guess you won't mind buying your concert tickets from scalpers at 200% markup even though you waited in line for tickets and didn't get any? Come on!

Plus, if someone wants to buy an iphone to sell on eBay, then fine. But it will only be one iPhone, not 20.

If you want to get an ass-full of iPhones then bring the whole family. What's the matter, they all can't come? Then I guess they have more important things to do. If they have more important things to do, then I guess being the "first" to get an iPhone is not that important.

Basically it comes down to this: If getting an iPhone in the first few days is THAT important to you, then stand in line. If its not, then wait. It's that simple.

All they are trying to do is to make it fair so that everyone who is waiting in line for these things gets a fair shake. That's all.

• Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:

Well, you know, people never pay for scalpers for tickets after they charge more than their worth.

Why bring the entire family when 1 person will do.

Doesn't matter how important it is to anyone, it's just a dumb idea.

Fugg fair, first come first serve is logical.

Well, let's see . . .

(1) Well, you know, people never pay for scalpers for tickets after they charge more than their worth. - Yeah, that never happens . . . right!

(2) Why bring the entire family when 1 person will do - Because the freakin' kids and wife need to get their ass off the couch and wait in line like everyone, that's why!

(3) Doesn't matter how important it is to anyone, it's just a dumb idea. Maybe to you and your clan, but not to everyone else waiting in line.

(4) Fugg fair, first come first serve is logical Sorry, one per person is fair. Fugg your comment.

But you know what, it really doesn't matter, 'cause this is the way it's going to be (one per person) so you and your family are just going to have to live with just one. Bitch all you want. It isn't going to happen. Period.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    You are a dolt for your illogical thinking. I bet 1,000,000 dollars that my family won't have to wait in line.

Quote:

Well, let's see . . .

(1) Well, you know, people never pay for scalpers for tickets after they charge more than their worth. - Yeah, that never happens . . . right!

(2) Why bring the entire family when 1 person will do - Because the freakin' kids and wife need to get their ass off the couch and wait in line like everyone, that's why!

(3) Doesn't matter how important it is to anyone, it's just a dumb idea. Maybe to you and your clan, but not to everyone else waiting in line.

(4) Fugg fair, first come first serve is logical Sorry, one per person is fair. Fugg your comment.

But you know what, it really doesn't matter, 'cause this is the way it's going to be (one per person) so you and your family are just going to have to live with just one. Bitch all you want. It isn't going to happen. Period.

• Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:

I just remembered that there is both an AT&T store (upstairs) and an Apple store (downstairs) in my mall. It's going to be mayhem!

hey me too! what mall are you talking about? Mine is Towson Town Center mall in Maryland.