DAE on Mac [os x]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are there any programs that can do a 100% exact audio copy of music on CD?

not "near perfect", i mean "perfect"

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>Are there any programs that can do a 100% exact audio copy of music on CD?

not "near perfect", i mean "perfect"

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

they are loads. if you want work in OS X, buy toast and use the 'copy' button to save a disc image of your mounted cd. you can then burn this. you can also use itunes, peak dv, spark and other audio applications to convert cd tracks to AIFF files. as long as you have a standard 'red book' cd (ie one written complying with the international standards governing audio cds) you will be able to copy your favourite tracks from a cd.

if you are working in OS 9 or earlier you might want to look at Astarte's CD-Copy. I'm not sure if is still available to buy, but it copies almost any CD, whether audio or data. i believe it actually makes more accurate disk images than toast ...

hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    does help!

::: but :::

how exact are the copies when using toast? are they jitter-free? exact [100%] copies?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>are they jitter-free? exact [100%] copies?</strong><hr></blockquote>They are bit-for-bit copies, as exact as you can get.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I think what the original poster is looking for is something like EAC (Exact Audio Copy). EAC is a windows app that uses overlapping/multiple DAE, advanced error correction, speed reduction, and other techniques to get accurate results even with scratched or otherwise damaged CDs.

From my own experience it can get good data off of CDs that Toast and other Mac programs can't.

As far as I know, nothing like EAC exist for the Mac, but I'd love to learn otherwise.

C
  • Reply 5 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Cynic: yeah, EAC on the PC platform is very helpful! It'll even tell you how much [in percentage] accurate is the copy to the original's.

I would love something like this for the back [a program that can do multiple extraction passes & try & preserve near 100% jitter-free audio copies].

How accurate is toast? doesn't it also depend on the quality of the optical drive being used?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I have "repaired" CDs that were too scratched to play by using Toast to extract the audio files, so based on this, I would say that Toast is pretty damn good. But unfortunately it does not give any stats on the accuracy of the DAE. Based on my experiences, both Toast and iTunes extract CD audio tracks to AIFF files without any problems whatsoever, but I have not tried this on more than a handful of scratched CDs.

I can see how an app like EAC would be nice to have....actually I'm a bit surprised that something like it isn't available for the Mac, since Macs are supposedly so great for audio recording, editing, and production.

Suffice to say that for DAE of most CDs, iTunes and Toast work fine and give you exact copies of the music. If you have a scratched CD, then that's another story.