iPhone Dual Dock; Apple Store downtime; new Apple video

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

I'm curious if any education, government, or developer discounts will apply to the iPhone. I'm guessing no, but it might be worth waiting until the store reopens to see. I hope the online store does reopen 6pm locally so I can check before walking into my local AT&T store!

iPod discounts exist, but are minor.

80GB iPod retail: $349

Government: $328 (6%)

Developer: $314 (10%)

Not sure about Education, probably around Government.

OK, how does one sign up to be a 'developer?'

• Reply 42 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK, how does one sign up to be a 'developer?'

Here:

http://developer.apple.com/products/
  • Reply 43 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Jeff, you're going way past.

You can't really spoof too much of this easily. Besides, very few people are going to even try.

I do understand that only a minority would even try, but it's not that hard, it's only a matter of knowing it can be done and using something that does it. Anonimizer servers abound. Opera even has user agent spoofing in the menu in the default install. No one would know that I am using Opera on OS X PPC if it tells the server that I am using Internet Explorer, meaning that it's going to get all three of those points wrong.

Quote:

Anyway, your IP reflects whether you are using NAT.

I think most people using a hardware router/firewall is using a NAT. As far as a server is concerned, the person is using the new IP.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Quote:

Here:

http://developer.apple.com/products/

Thanks........ Almost signed up for the "free" membership. Then, conscience prevailed. \
  • Reply 45 of 59
    [QUOTE=JeffDM;1103592]I do understand that only a minority would even try, but it's not that hard, it's only a matter of knowing it can be done and using something that does it. Anonimizer servers abound. Opera even has user agent spoofing in the menu in the default install. No one would know that I am using Opera on OS X PPC if it tells the server that I am using Internet Explorer, meaning that it's going to get all three of those points wrong.

That stuff probably wouldn't get past the store, if it is deliberately checking to see where you're from.

Safari lets you do that as well I believe.

Besides, it will still see the IP, and machine type. If you use servers, and have an account with them, that don't allow any of that through, the store wouldn't give you the page, because it wants that. It would shuffle you to a non store page.

Quote:

I think most people using a hardware router/firewall is using a NAT. As far as a server is concerned, the person is using the new IP.

Yes, for people like myself, and some others here. But, most people still don't have networks at home, and don't use any router.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd be willing to bet that the online store doesn't open at different times across the country. Anywone willing to take me up on that?
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the online store doesn't open at different times across the country. Anywone willing to take me up on that?

I don't want to bet. But couldn't the checkout/sign-up/activation/billing/shiping process alert the store: You might see a pop-up that says, "Hey, no fair, you are in 85308 zip code, and it's only 4.23 PM Mountain Time!"

• Reply 48 of 59
    jennygjennyg Posts: 14member
    Quote:

I don't want to bet. But couldn't the checkout/sign-up/activation/billing/shiping process alert the store: You might see a pop-up that says, "Hey, no fair, you are in 85308 zip code, and it's only 4.23 PM Mountain Time!"

Well, for all they know, you could be in New York on business and ordering it to be shipped to you back home in Colorado, or whatever. They can't really make assumptions on zip code vs. time zone or they'd mess up people who just happened to be out of town at the time.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyg View Post

Well, for all they know, you could be in New York on business and ordering it to be shipped to you back home in Colorado, or whatever. They can't really make assumptions on zip code vs. time zone or they'd mess up people who just happened to be out of town at the time.

I'm not sure they care about that. As long as you're in the correct timezone.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Either the dock that comes with the iPhone already has a place for charging the Bluetooth earpiece or the Bluetooth earpiece comes with an iPhone/ earpiece dock. Those are the only two solutions that make any sense.

2) I would really like a dock that will charge/sync and iPhone in front and an iPod in back.

3) I predict that the medium size (480x272) videos that Apple has been releasing this week will be included on the iPhone for immediate playback prior to syncing and setting up.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyg View Post

Quote:

I'm not sure they care about that. As long as you're in the correct timezone.

I think the simplest of those solutions is to monitor via the shipping address. If they go by IP address I could ask a friend or relative to purchase for me via the phone, IM, email.

However, I think Apple will open the store to everyone at the same time starting at 6pm PST. This would create a much higher demand at stores in ESTs, which will surely generate more press which in turn will cause purchasers in other time-zones to get even more frenzied for the device.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And Apple STILL doesn't tell us whether the keyboard can rotate to landscape orientation.

It doesn't. I'm fairly certain Jobs mentioned this all the way back in January, stating something to the effect that landscape mode only works when it makes sense to do so. A landscape virtual keyboard doesn't make sense because it would consume too much of the screen.

Of course, just like all the other questions, a hands-on demo this Friday will provide all the answers.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just saw this picture from a new Pogue review.

Here's what Pogue says:

Quote:

Does the keyboard rotate when you rotate the iPhone? Only in the Web browser. That’s a shame, because the rotated keyboard, stretching the full length of the screen, is much bigger and easier to use than the narrow version.

That keyboard does look a lot larger and therefore perhaps less error-prone. There's less left to see, but I bet they could make it work.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And Apple STILL doesn't tell us whether the keyboard can rotate to landscape orientation.

Quote:

They would have no reason not to, and every reason to, I would suspect that as they show the phone revolving for other features, they would surely show it for this critical one as well. No phone reviewer has mentioned a horizontal keyboard layout.

Since they don't, it's not likely that it does.

But, this is one of the things that a software update/upgrade could correct, as it is just a program, and isn't hardwired.

Quote:

Just saw this picture from a new Pogue review.

Here's what Pogue says:

That keyboard does look a lot larger and therefore perhaps less error-prone. There's less left to see, but I bet they could make it work.

Yup, the Pogue FAQ has a lot of cool info in it.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

Per the recent video, I think Apple's solution to "make it work" is to use Dictionary.app to predict keys and expand their input area to surrounding keys that it assumes you won't possibly use.

I guess all those gamers and MySpace users buying iPhones are going to have to do away with their internet speak and resort to using English again.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I guess all those gamers and MySpace users buying iPhones are going to have to do away with their internet speak and resort to using English again.

It's about damn time, I say. On the other hand, it's mentioned in the tutorial that the iPhone learns words that you type often, even proper nouns.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:

If it's only in the browser, it hardly counts, does it?

This forum is taking up 80% of the typing I do in the browser. But that's only about 5% of the typing I do.

I doubt if many are going to do what we do here from out phones.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    That Pogue FAQ also has a tiny Easter egg in it (although some may say it's slightly rotten):

Quote:

At the moment, it communicates only with hands-free devices like Bluetooth headsets (including Apple’s very tiny one, coming in July)

No $130 BT headset and dual dock on launch, apparently.

Also, a better Easter egg:

Quote:

Can the iPhone receive songs, files, calendar appointments, contacts or software updates wirelessly? No, only from your computer through the U.S.B. charging cradle. But this is kind of neat: Unlike the iPod, there’s no “do not disconnect” message during syncing. You can yank the iPhone out of the cradle whenever you like — to answer a call, for example; syncing resumes when you’re done. You can also operate the iPhone while it is charging.

True(er) plug-and-play has finally made it to OS X?
  • Reply 59 of 59
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    so, new version of itunes today then?