How to disable 2nd display without unpluging it

-df-df
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I was hoping to soon buy a nice HDTV and run a nice media center to it from my G5 tower. All other cumbersome set-up details aside, the one question I keep coming back to is:

How can I have the TV connected to the Mac at all times, but only have OS X see it as a second display when I want it to?

The only way I know of getting the Mac to stop thinking there's a second display is to unplug said display and click "detect displays." Anyone know of a simple software-based solution?

Much thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Maybe software like this has an option for it:

http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/whysr.html

Perhaps you could use a hardware switch (KVM switch) that would set the second disaply to nothing. It's not as convenient as software but it saves unplugging.

Is it so you can watch TV while using the primary display but use it to extend your desktop when there's nothing worth watching?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    It's basically for watching media on the TV when I'm not using the Mac. I figure I could keep it on "mirror" all the time, even when the TV is off, but I'm assuming that would take an unnecessary toll on my CPU and video card.

I'm going to check out that app and see what it can do. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tdamontdamon Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

It's basically for watching media on the TV when I'm not using the Mac. I figure I could keep it on "mirror" all the time, even when the TV is off, but I'm assuming that would take an unnecessary toll on my CPU and video card.

I'm going to check out that app and see what it can do. Thanks!

Did this work for you?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I find it very unlikely you'd see reduced performance from a second screen when you have dedicated graphics in a G5 tower. What graphics card do you have, and do you do 3D work?