How to mount a disc image without the disc?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
One of my programs (language learning program) requires the insertion a disc every time I want to use the program and was wondering if mac has it's own version of daemon tools where I can use the program without the disc.

Thanks.

Dorian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Disk Utility can make and mount images, but it might not fool the copy protection.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How do I use disc utility to boot the image? I'm more interested in copying the cd to my hardrive so I don't have to insert the cd every time to use the program.

The cd has not copyright protection.

Thanks.

Dorian
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorian86 View Post

How do I use disc utility to boot the image? ...

Just double-click the image file. You don't need Disk Utility.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Just double-click the image file. You don't need Disk Utility.

That will not allow me to use the program without inserting the disc. That is the basic way to open a program once the disc image is seen on the desktop.

Please read my original question.

Dorian
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorian86 View Post

That will not allow me to use the program without inserting the disc. That is the basic way to open a program once the disc image is seen on the desktop.

He was meaning that's how you 'boot' disc images. With Daemon Tools you select the image to mount. With Disk Images, you double-click and they are mounted automatically.

The procedure being described here is this:

- insert the disc, open disk utility and do file > new > disk image from device (the device will be a code when a disc is inserted)

- save this image somewhere and it will make a .dmg file

- eject the CD and when you double-click the .dmg, it will mount on the desktop

This might not fool the program though. I find Disk Utility doesn't work very well at doing that. Toast seems to be better and you'd follow a similar procedure.

- insert disc

- open Toast and choose file > save as disc image, this makes a .toast image

- eject disc and double-click .toast file but make sure it opens with Toast and it doesn't just mount, then click mount inside Toast.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    My experience has been good with using dmg's in this situation. My kids enjoy Zoo Tycoon. I used automator to create an app that when opened does the following: opens dmg and mounts the image, then launches ZT. Every thing works as expected.