AT&T: iPhone sales limited to 'one per person'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What's wrong with people putting them on ebay for profit. If they buy it, it's theirs to with as they please.

That's going too far. Imagine the guy in that article on AI that's first in line in Manhattan bought every iPhone right away and drove past everyone in line (I'm sixth, check the other thread) and yelled: "EBAY BITCHES!"

That'd be complete bullshit, 1 per person is fair until these are widely available.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

That's going too far. Imagine the guy in that article on AI that's first in line in Manhattan bought every iPhone right away and drove past everyone in line (I'm sixth, check the other thread) and yelled: "EBAY BITCHES!"

That'd be complete bullshit, 1 per person is fair until these are widely available.

Couldn't agree more.

Kudos to you ecking!
  • Reply 43 of 64
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

Yes, they could. In store activation of all the phones on the account simultaneously would lock the phones to the account without the ability to sell them.

I can just imagine the scene at the SoHo or 5th Ave Apple Stores with hundreds of folks trying to use their iPods to activate their accounts while dozens wait.... Anyone see CNN's coverage of the sad folks outside of the 5th Ave Apple Store (I always thnk of it as the FAO Schwarz Apple Store, since they're just a leopard leap away)?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i don't think that first guy in line is buying one. he said he wants to check it out and see how it works.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

hey me too! what mall are you talking about? Mine is Towson Town Center mall in Maryland.

The Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
  • Reply 46 of 64
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Come on apple, i just took out my $1,800,000,000 loan to buy ever single iPhone realeased on it realease date. Just when thing look like they are falling into place, apple comes along and ruins my fun. Just image what you could do with 3million iPhones, like make a sidwalk out of them, or a moviescreen, or a super computer, or i could donate them to starving children in Africa.

(Dont question the math as i did it in my head and based it on that there will be 3million iPhones at launch and all of them will be 8gb.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    Apple stores are limiting two iphones to each person.

AT&T should clarify their last minute 'one per person' restriction.

Will a parent of a teenager who is younger than 18 years old and who is present with that parent be able to purchase two iPhones at a corporate owned AT&T retail store and actually walk out of the store with both iPhones?

OR

Will that parent be able to purchase two iPhones but only be able to leave the store with one iPhone and be forced to wait for AT&T to mail them the other iPhone at a later date?

There are many people who are planning, per Steve Jobs advice, to purchase a pair of iPhones at an AT&T corporate owned retail store, and these people need to know, IMO.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What's wrong with Apple setting sales policies, it's their product to sell as they please.

This way is fairest to those that actually stand in line. Maybe others don't think it's fair to have to stand in line. I think there is too much at stake that AppleT&T can't afford to have scalping sully their launch.

Maybe the 1 per person thing is simply because that's the way new big products are sold nowadays? PS3, Nintendo Wii, XBox 360... now iPhone.

Plus, as someone mentioned - waiting in line only to see someone come out in front of you with an armload and being told "We're out of stock" would be quite irritating. At least this way you know you were just one person too late.

"1 per person" just lets the hype stay at a rolling boil a little longer. The best scenario, in my opinion, is when stock remains low for a while due to unexpectedly high demand.

It's still hard to find Nintendo Wiis anywhere - I'd say that's a good thing all around. The higher and longer hype remains, the better.

I'll be in line, for the same reason I like shopping the day after Thanksgiving - the festivity.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    The NYtimes did a pience on the 2nd (and invisible 3rd) person in line at the Manhattan Apple store. The 3rd person was this lady's sister, i guess she won't be picking one up now.

http://ThunkDifferent.com

[CENTER]Thunk Different Video[/CENTER]
  • Reply 50 of 64
    That makes more sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

Will a parent of a teenager who is younger than 18 years old and who is present with that parent be able to purchase two iPhones at a corporate owned AT&T retail store and actually walk out of the store with both iPhones?

OR

Will that parent be able to purchase two iPhones but only be able to leave the store with one iPhone and be forced to wait for AT&T to mail them the other iPhone at a later date?

There are many people who are planning, per Steve Jobs advice, to purchase a pair of iPhones at an AT&T corporate owned retail store, and these people need to know, IMO.

• Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Oh, actually you don't come HERE to THIS forum. Or for that matter, any forum.

You contact AppleInsider and bitch to THEM, NOT US.

We are here on a post that was started by AppleInsider, NOT us.

We don't start the threads, AppleInsider starts them. We are here minding our own business talking about SPECIFIC topics. We don't need people coming here and bitching about what AppleInsider does or does not write about. If you got a problem with what they post, how they post it or what they don't post, bitch to THEM (the Administrators and creaters of these threads) and NOT to the READERS and subscribers (Us) of these posts.

You know what a "Contact Us" link looks like, don't you. I suggest you use it.

There's one at the bottom of this site right now.

If you want to find out about "Other" Mac and Apple related topics, I suggest you go to MacRumors.com.

They actually got quite a few of them going on right now:

Apple Releases Pro Application Updates

Apple Releases SuperDrive Firmware Update 2.1

Lepoard, 3rd Party Applications

P.S. So that's the end of my Rant. I understand that there is a lot of "iPhone" stories, editorials, Forums, etc. out there. But you also have to understand, this is one of the biggest Electronic Gadget launches EVER. So let the iPhone "Geeks" have their fun for now. It will be over soon.

But also, there really are other sites out there on Apple and Mac related issues. But for the next few days, they might be a little preoccupied with the"Phone" thing.

Don't worry, Leopard will be out soon and you will have other people getting sick and tired hearing about that as well.

Looks like the passion for the Mac (which I share) does extend to the iPhone. I should know better.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shanghai View Post

Looks like the passion for the Mac (which I share) does extend to the iPhone. I should know better.

Glad you understand. No hard feelings.

Hope you had a chance to read up on some good Leopard stuff as well as some of the articles about the new Apps that were just released. I know I did.

I hope to see you back in the forums when all the "iHoopla" subsides. Peace!
  • Reply 53 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Then have your chauffeur, your gardener and your maid wait in line in place for your rich little "princess," your fat and lazy little "sport." and your hot tennis-playing "wife."

The newbies are getting restless.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

OR

Last minute? What are you talking about? Everything about the phone is last minute. Hell, we didn't even know the plan pricing until a couple of days ago. But, all of a sudden, its like "OMG, AT&T changing the rules at the last minute! My plans for the iPhone are all now ruined! Thanks alot AT&T!"
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Geez, looks like the time stamp issue has not been fixed... poor AI.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Is the Apple store doing the same thing? I need 3 as well, but I'm the only one able to stay out for a day.

How could you possibly need three? And if you had to wait for two weeks to get them, is there something wrong with that?
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The newbies are getting restless.

Hey, I might be a "Newbie" here at AppleInsider (actually, been here since '05, but had to start anew when I changed my email address) but I've been using Macs since '84. Before most "Newbies" were even born.

Sorry to everyone for the earlier rants.

Much calmer now.

Medication finally kicking in . . .

. . . ah . . . yes . . .
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Hey, I might be a "Newbie" here at AppleInsider (actually, been here since '05, but had to start anew when I changed my email address) but I've been using Macs since '84. Before most "Newbies" were even born.

Sorry to everyone for the earlier rants.

Much calmer now.

Medication finally kicking in . . .

. . . ah . . . yes . . .

Whatever you do, don't mess with melgross. He's a legend around here.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    The iPhone SIM card cannot be removed by consumers and cannot be used in any other device, per 1-800-MY-APPLE and AT&T.

Also, you cannot migrate your present cell phone number to the iPhone, per AT&T.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The iPhone SIM card cannot be removed by consumers and cannot be used in any other device, per 1-800-MY-APPLE and AT&T.

I'm pretty sure that the SIM card can be removed, whether it will works in other devices, I don't know. If the card is fixed, there would be no use in having an externally accessible sim card tray. Sim cards from other devices won't work in the iPhone.

Quote:

Also, you cannot migrate your present cell phone number to the iPhone, per AT&T.

Wasn't this proven false in Apple's demo videos? You migrate your phone number through the iTunes app. I think not allowing the transfer of numbers would have legal ramifications.