Current Mac minis end of life at PCWorld

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Went to PC World here just outside London and was told that they would not be receiveing anymore of the current Mac Minis. They could not say whether that was it for mini's or whether they would stock a refreshed line...Anybody knows more?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    bryan furybryan fury Posts: 169member
    i really hope they radically update the mac mini as the mac pro is overkill and i want a headless mac as my imac's screen is playing up
  • Reply 2 of 29
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raidersan View Post

Went to PC World here just outside London and was told that they would not be receiveing anymore of the current Mac Minis. They could not say whether that was it for mini's or whether they would stock a refreshed line...Anybody knows more?

That sucks! Hopefully, an update is coming...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I wouldn't read too much into PCWorld when it comes to macs. I used to work for DSGi, and their Mac knowledge and buying power isn't great.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

I wouldn't read too much into PCWorld when it comes to macs. I used to work for DSGi, and there Mac knowledge and buying power isn't great.

Sure but that means their stock will dry up first so it could be a good indicator of things to come. It might be an idea to keep looking out for other small retailers.

John Lewis' Stocks are out too in the UK but then so are the 24" iMac and Mac Pro.

Macwarehouse stocks are all out:

http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/info/macmini.jtp

but they expect more in a few days.

I don't think they'd wait until Leopard for new hardware because it keeps the ball rolling. I reckon it will be:

June/July: iphone

July/August/September: hardware updates - 20" & 24" possibly 30" iMac + something new for the sub $1000 range. More likely July to keep people busy with their new products.

September/October: Leopard
  • Reply 5 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't think the mini is dead.

I love my mini. It's small and quiet and powerful enough. The only issue with the mini right now is graphics speed. I'm not even concerned about storage because I can get external storage with a zero footprint for the mini.

Give me an update with faster procs and X3000 graphics from Santa Rosa and I'll be happy. I'm also stoked about the memory upgrades being cheaper. Months ago a 2GB RAM kit was over $200 ...now I can get a 2GB kit for $94...I've limped along with 512MB for too long.

The only way they could kill the mini as a viable computer would be to take the iMac 17" down to $799 or so.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

June/July: iphone

July/August/September: hardware updates - 20" & 24" possibly 30" iMac + something new for the sub $1000 range. More likely July to keep people busy with their new products.

September/October: Leopard

I can almost guarantee that there will be no new hardware in July. July will be reserved for pushing the iPhone... They've put too much into it (even so much as delaying OS's and possibly hardware). They won't even try new hardware to possibly tarnish the new feeling of the iPhone. August could possibly see very slight bumps here and there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. September, however, will bring more with Apple Expo in Paris. There, the exact date of Leopard's release will be announced, possibly along with a couple new features not covered yet, and probably a full recap of WWDC 07, then the iMac Pro will be unveiled. It's the redesign we all know about now, which will coexist with the iMac. The new redesign was even noted as being designed with the brushed aluminum "to fit with the company's pro machines". I don't think Apple would reposition a machine that's always been known to be easy to use for common tasks out-of-the-box. It's also their #1 computer bought by consumers. They will not suddenly completely change it to be a machine for professionals. With the new line, the iMacs will receive a price drop, to give the iMac Pro breathing room to differentiate itself from the iMac. The price reduction, however, will be enough to compete with the Mac Mini, and kill it off, also announced at the Expo. The iMac Pro and pricing changes may also be an announcement at that point for just a couple of weeks, so they begin simultaneously with Leopard in October.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The only way they could kill the mini as a viable computer would be to take the iMac 17" down to $799 or so.

There have been comments along with the iMac redesign that the iMac will have a price reduction. I believe this will put the 17" down in the 699-$799 range. These are just guesses though, they make sense to me, anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Apple, please make a mini with a dedicated graphics card (or slot for one so we can put in our own). Integrated graphics sucks...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Apple, please make a mini with a dedicated graphics card (or slot for one so we can put in our own). Integrated graphics sucks...

This is Apple speaking, we can't hear you *la la la la , fingers in ears*

No matter how much feedback Apple have no doubt gotten over the past year, the macbooks, minis and low end iMacs still have integrated chips so i don't see them going anywhere soon, though I wish they would go too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue

I can almost guarantee that there will be no new hardware in July. July will be reserved for pushing the iPhone.

Wouldn't it make sense to do both at around the same time? The Apple Stores will be packed over the next few weeks so what better time to introduce flashy new desktops and switch the PC-using iphone-wanters.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Wouldn't it make sense to do both at around the same time? The Apple Stores will be packed over the next few weeks so what better time to introduce flashy new desktops and switch the PC-using iphone-wanters.

I can see where you're coming from, but a lot of people who are just barely in the market for an iPhone can only just afford one, so it'd end up being a choice between the computer and the phone. It would mean a flop for either the computer or the iPhone, and I doubt they'd want to take such a risk with the iPhone.

The other side, too, is, if the hardware and whatnot is ready yet. I don't know, and I don't think too many people really do. But that definitely impacts the situation too
  • Reply 10 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

There have been comments along with the iMac redesign that the iMac will have a price reduction. I believe this will put the 17" down in the 699-$799 range. These are just guesses though, they make sense to me, anyway.

If the iMac were that cheap I'd get one just to have one. I've never owned an iMac. Although I liked the previous design better.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't think the mini is dead.

I love my mini. It's small and quiet and powerful enough. The only issue with the mini right now is graphics speed. I'm not even concerned about storage because I can get external storage with a zero footprint for the mini.

Give me an update with faster procs and X3000 graphics from Santa Rosa and I'll be happy. I'm also stoked about the memory upgrades being cheaper. Months ago a 2GB RAM kit was over $200 ...now I can get a 2GB kit for $94...I've limped along with 512MB for too long.

I absolutely agree. While I have lots of PowerBooks and MacBookPros and good old G4^3s, and my iMac 20" daisy is doing great, the mini intel powers my 23" screen and does all I really need most of the time. With an upgrad it would certainly lead the way for people like me.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple if you are listening I want some nice good blue socks for Christmas, the one's you gave me last year were no good, my toes are poking out.

Me couldn't care for the mini, we want new iMac. PC World is a joke anyway, staff member told me when I was fiddling with a MacBook (over here) "you can't get software for that". I said "really?", he said "well.. not here in Ireland anyway." I kept on fiddling and kind of just ignored him, he wasn't worth talking to after all.

Directions I think Apple is headed in over the next two years:
    • One: iMacs with even bigger screens, no mice, and touch-screen keyboards (not touch-screen displays).

• Two: Multi-touch tablets. Tablets will replace notebooks as the new main choice for portable computers within 5 years in my opinion, and possibly even sooner.

• Three: Phones. Obviously! iPhones will be the new iPods.

• Four: TV's. Apple TV 2.0 will have a slot load DVD drive, more features and more storage, and Apple TV 3.0 will be an actual television.

• Reply 13 of 29
    Having looked around, it seems that everywhere is low or out of Mac minis, so PC World seem to be right on this occasion. It only confirms what we already know - the mini is due to be updated or dropped soon. At least it looks as if we won't have too long to wait.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

\\[*]Four: TV's. Apple TV 2.0 will have a slot load Blue Ray drive, more features and more storage, and Apple TV 3.0 will be an actual television.[/LIST]

Fixed.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Fixed.

Keep dreaming, the thing couldn't be affordable if it had that. If you want Blu-Ray, buy a PS3.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Keep dreaming, the thing couldn't be affordable if it had that. If you want Blu-Ray, buy a PS3.

Could be right on the Apple TV 2.0 thing. Think how DVD players used to be hundred of pounds, and are now £20. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are bound to tumble - they are already getting cheaper with every new model. Whether or not Apple would add a drive to an Apple TV is another matter, but in a couple of years it would certainly be economically viable.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    LOL. The first thing I thought was, "Hmm, I don't think any of my DVD players have weighed more than 20 pounds." Lost in translation.

Apple might kill the Mini, as they did to the iPod Mini. But, I don't think Apple will do away with a Mini-class of Mac. With the iMacs moving toward 20"+ only, it opens the door for a wider range of low-end HW. In the past, Apple needed to differentiate the high-end Mini from the low-end iMac.

IMO, Apple will move the Mini (or whatever they choose to call it) slightly upmarket. This may loose some customers on the bottom of the range, but it consistent with Apple's approach to computers. My guess is that the price will increase along with specs. As with the iMac and MacBookPros, I expect the Mini's HW specs to track very closely to those offered by the MacBook (wasn't this the case when it was first released?).
  • Reply 18 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I will. But you've got to admit DVD is yesterday and blue ray is the future. If ATV could work as a blue ray player, I'm in.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    bryan furybryan fury Posts: 169member
    "The next-generation Mac Mini will sport Core 2 Duo processors at 1.83, 2.0 (Standard models) and 2.16GHz (Gamer's Model), Intel GMA965 integrated (standard models) or ATi Radeon X1800 dedicated (Gamer's Model) graphics, support for up to 5GB of RAM (two 512MB on-board chips, plus two full-sized DIMM slots capable of supporting up to 2GB of DDR2-667 SDRAM each), new faster Superdrives, 802.11n wireless, and in the Gamer's Model, support for two displays (Dual Link DVI and Mini-DVI ports). And that's not even the best part"

macosrumors have an interesting tidbit

i hope it's true !!!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:

At the moment they suck, but Intel is catching up with the Santa Rosa platform, consisting of the GMA X3000 GPU core with unified shader processors and hardware vertex shaders (both missing from the current GMA950)

Personally, I think it would be a waste of time for Apple to produce a 'gamers' Mac that isn't able to run PC/Windows games at todays level of performance producers are asking - i.e. DX10

I doubt they'd be able to produce such a machine in a small form factor with a modern ATi or Nvidia GPU. It'd have to be an Intel GMA X3100 or X3500...