Adding Wireless Capability to a Broadband network?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

Im not asking anyone to do the research for me, but if someone could help me get started, so I know where to look and what for, that would be excellent!

We have a pretty simple broadband network at home. Currently it only has an iMac connected, but we have a 6 port wired router (a Netgear model, seems to do the job really well).

Now my mother has bought a new Macbook, and it comes Airport enabled. So is it possible to add some kind of piece of hardware, some kind of transmitter, to one of the empty Cat5/Ethernet ports in the router so that it can beam a wireless network around the house?

Is there a piece of hardware out there for this job?

That's all.

If you can point me in the right direction, that would be brilliant = )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiers69 View Post

Hello everyone,

Im not asking anyone to do the research for me, but if someone could help me get started, so I know where to look and what for, that would be excellent!

We have a pretty simple broadband network at home. Currently it only has an iMac connected, but we have a 6 port wired router (a Netgear model, seems to do the job really well).

Now my mother has bought a new Macbook, and it comes Airport enabled. So is it possible to add some kind of piece of hardware, some kind of transmitter, to one of the empty Cat5/Ethernet ports in the router so that it can beam a wireless network around the house?

Is there a piece of hardware out there for this job?

That's all.

If you can point me in the right direction, that would be brilliant = )

Yes you can either buy a wireless AP (Access Point) and plug directly into your current router or you can buy a wireless router and turn off the router function and it will act as an AP...although wireless routers are very cheap these days. Probably better off just buying a wireless router and replacing your netgear.

Will probably be faster than what you have now anyway.

Example of a wireless AP and a diagram to follow if needed.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Wire...nts/WG602.aspx
  • Reply 2 of 3
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    It's very easy indeed. Wireless access points can be picked up very cheaply these days, however, as spiers69 said, upgrading the a wireless ADSL modem router would be the best option and probably not cost that much more.

Other options such as the Apple Airport Extreme, or Airport Express would also suit your purpose (they are wireless access points).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    OR, you could just enable internet sharing through your iMac which has built in ethernet as well. Then you could share the internet connection wirelessly in your house without purchasing any more hardware. I'm not sure on the range of that network through the iMac, but if your house isnt very large it should suffice.