QuickTime 6 Preview

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Never mind, it just hit apple's site now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Supposedly, Apple has released it. Anyone got a link to a download?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    QuickTime Broadcaster also available <a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/broadcaster/"; target="_blank">here</a>.

The <a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/quicktime6/faq.html"; target="_blank">QuickTime 6 FAQ</a> is interesting reading.

1. The Preview won't work with iMovie or Final Cut Pro, so we can expect updates over the summer.

2. The Preview expires in October, allowing Jaguar's release date to run to "late summer" as promised - I don't think we'll see an early appearance at MWNY.

3. Because of royalties due to MPEG LA, there'll be another fee required for a QuickTime Pro registration key. I wonder if we'll have to pay for the final standard version, also?

4. The Preview doesn't include MPEG-2 decoding. The final version will.

5. I wonder if the iPod will be updated to support AAC?

Oh, and...

6. Apple is still in discussions with MPEG LA. No resolution yet.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Just installed it...

Lovely... now over half of all my movies will not play. They display some nasty green pattern.

However, the mpgs I have play better. No more skipping and crappy playback.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    mongolrmongolr Posts: 1member
    I would echo a prior post questioning iPod compatibility with the new compression format. That could be a real benefit for those of us with the 5 GB iPod providing Apple's claim of smaller file sizes for equal quality holds true. I just wonder how big of a difference the new compression will provide...10%, 20%, 50%? Anyone know?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I can't believe it requires 124MB of available disk space to install! :eek:
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Just installed it also. I didn't try any other movies than the ones from the quicktime 6 gallery. I was very impressed with the quality. The Friday After Next looks stupid.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Question is. Why are so many problems cropping up. Apple made it sound like Quicktime 6 was ready to go and only the Licensing issue were holding it up. QT6 sounds like Betaware.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No problems here thus far. Tried mpegs, slide shows, movies, mp4s, mp3s, aiffs, and midis. All at the same time, just for fun.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I posted this same question at MacCentral regarding QT6:

Where are the favorites? I can't believe that it doesn't install onto your computer with its FAVORITES folder already populated with selections. Now I have to go to every one of the ones that are featured on the Apple site and click them one by one to add them to my Favorites list for QT?

Somebody straighten me out on this!

D
  • Reply 10 of 38
    macgpmacgp Posts: 88member
    After installing quicktime 6, it may have a tendency to de-select your startup disk, which may cause problems booting, just hold down the option key when booting up and select it again. Or boot from the OS9 disk and re-select the start up disk
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:

<strong>Lovely... now over half of all my movies will not play. They display some nasty green pattern.</strong><hr></blockquote>Remove the 3rd-party DivX plugin and try again.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 38
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    I can tell you that the video encoding of MPEG-4 is *better* than Sorensen Pro (Developer) 3 codec. I did a compression test and the MPEG-4 is not only better quality, it compress's faster. I use Cleaner 5.1 with Sorenson 3.1 Pro using 2-pass VBR and compared it to the regular "export" feature of

QT6 and QT6 wins on Video encoding. I encoded at 250Kbits Video 50Kbits Audio(16bit/44khz/stereo), 320x240, 30fps. 10 mins encding time on my dual800 for QT6 v 25min w/Cleaner5/Sor3,1 with 2-pass VBR (2-pass VBR takes roughly twice as long albeir better quality). 2mins of source video.

This rocks!

I also prefer QMusic Design Pro 2 codec for audio OVER mp3's but have not compared the AAC to wither mp3 or QMusic2 yet. Audio is a little more disserning.

BTW, I exported a movie from FCP3 so its works for me with FCP--&gt;QT6.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Remove the 3rd-party DivX plugin and try again.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ive just tried that, restarted, and got the cannot play because no decoder message. (in OS9)

SfleetX, are you running public preview, or did I remember you got QT6 Final somewhere. Are you X or 9?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Ive just tried that, restarted, and got the cannot play because no decoder message. (in OS9)</strong><hr></blockquote>Ah, sorry, I didn't realize you were running OS9. This was a known bug on OSX with the QT6 beta builds and the 3rd-party DivX plugin. I'm not sure what the progblem could be, then. Yes, I'm an OSX user.

[quote]SfleetX, are you running public preview, or did I remember you got QT6 Final somewhere.<hr></blockquote>

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 38
    seppakseppak Posts: 38member
    I just downloaded it, and I am a little confused with MPEG 4. Why can you use it in either a mov or mp4 file format? Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose that you can use the mov file format?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    spockiespockie Posts: 22member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Remove the 3rd-party DivX plugin and try again.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am experiencing the same problem. .avi movies with MPEG 4 used to play under Quicktime 5 with a third party plugin. Now they don't with Quicktime 6? Any suggestions what to do? I am running OS X.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 17 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by spockie:

<strong>

I am experiencing the same problem. .avi movies with MPEG 4 used to play under Quicktime 5 with a third party plugin. Now they don't with Quicktime 6? Any suggestions what to do? I am running OS X.

Thanks in advance!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just downloaded some new fresh AVI files, and even though they play - the audio is still crap. I used Divx Doctor with it's associated plug in and converted it to a MOV and it plays fine.

Still though, all my older divx encoded movies (converted from AVI to MOV) won't play.

I said this before in another thread: To hell with what Apple thinks is the next big think - such as MPEG 4 - the people are using AVIs. Just pull up any Kazaa, Neo, Morpheus, Limewire etc. divx search and viola! High quality movies are being encoded using the divx codec then made into AVI files. THIS is the new standard right now - not MPEG 4.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hope not. DIVX is supposed to be great. It's GARBAGE. Why, do movies take up more than a whole CD, and have maybe 30-50% the quality of a QuickTime movie that's 10 (!) times smaller? Oh, and I've resized small (1 sqare inch) QT movies to FULL SCREEN (1024 X 768 on 21" monitor), and they are still discernable. Haha, you cannot resize DivX. At least, all the ones I've gotten, from, er, Lines from places that are Hot. HL is so dead though, it's garbage as well. PC people have no clue. DivX is unplayable on my G3 300, it needs a 500mhz G3 in my experience, and even then audio comes out of sync. With better quality than this, I can play QuickTime 2 movies on my IIsi. DivX is a joke. So what if the "people" use it. 95% percent of the people use Windows. I recognize Mr Fantastic, that you probably don't like this anymore than I do, but I hope Apple doesn't cave in to the idiotic people who use AVI and Microslop. QuickTime mops the floor with ANY other media I've seen (WiMP, Real, fooey.)

Sorry. I'm just SO angry that more people don't use QuickTime I guess. &lt;/Rant, whew&gt;
  • Reply 19 of 38
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:

<strong>

I just downloaded some new fresh AVI files, and even though they play - the audio is still crap. I used Divx Doctor with it's associated plug in and converted it to a MOV and it plays fine.

Still though, all my older divx encoded movies (converted from AVI to MOV) won't play.

I said this before in another thread: To hell with what Apple thinks is the next big think - such as MPEG 4 - the people are using AVIs. Just pull up any Kazaa, Neo, Morpheus, Limewire etc. divx search and viola! High quality movies are being encoded using the divx codec then made into AVI files. THIS is the new standard right now - not MPEG 4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

don't make a full of yourself.

MPEG 4 is the standard. MPEG 4 is everything it is supposed to be. Apple's implementation is amazing. MPEG 4 is going to be an integral part of Apple's strategy IMO.

DiVX is based on MPEG 4 and it sucks.

What a baby, complaining that QT doesn't support the most popular format for movie piracy
  • Reply 20 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have a poor impression of AVIs and DiVX and I wonder why people seem to think so much of it. AVIs in general are all over the map i terms of compatibility and quality. Every time I try to open one, it's a crap shoot, be it on a Mac or PC, with WiMP or QT or Real. I've never seen a good quality DiVX movie, but then again, I've only seen them rarely. Maybe it's that DiVX seems to be the 800 lbs. gorilla of pirated media, and that bootlegs are generally poor anyway.

But I'm rather impressed by the quality of fast downloading and quality of Apple's MP4 examples (which of course is the point of having them so it's not a very fair comparison I suppose).