Dead Pixels on MacBook Pro Hi Rez?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My trusty TiBook 1ghz has finally passed away after nearly 5-years of constant use. It died one component at a time over the past few months like it had leprosy or something. The PCMCIA died, my ?Q? key stopped working (Q???), followed by Ethernet port death. The space-bar started to work when it felt like it, which was followed by my firewire port, and finally just the other day the backlight passed away. I only mention this because I have been a computer geek for 25 years and never heard of one dying like this. I was planning to buy a new Pro anyway, so this got me off the fence?

Anyway, I am ready to plop down $3000 for a 17? High Rez glossy. When I bought my TiBook, it was quite expensive as well and it had a dead pixel. Just one, but it was in a bad spot so I tried to return it. At the time Apple had some bizarre policy where you had to have like 5 dead pixels for them to replace the unit. I was mighty pissed and for several years every time I spotted it, I felt shafted.

I went to an Apple store to ask if Apple was still being pricks on this front. I was told that such problems were decided on a case by case basis but that I could always return it for a $300 restocking fee. Needless to say, I was unimpressed. I would be mad at a dead pixel on a $1000 computer; for $3000 I don?t think I am expecting too much to have a fully functioning screen.

So, before I plunk down for this puppy, have any of you bought the hi-rez 17? and had any problems?

Also, if I were to buy from Mac Mall, does anyone know if I could I still do battle with Apple to try and get a new machine?

Thanks in advance,

Corey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Sry... I don't think there's anything you can do about this. I got the 15.4" and I guess I lucked out because I do not have any dead pixels. Since any computer you buy will be in a closed box until you pay for it, you will not be able to see the screen and test it for them. But, I wonder if you went to an apple store with a college student (so you could get a better deal than even macmall and get a free iPod) if you could test one of the floor models and say "I want that one." and not accept any others. Probably not. I wish you well in your screen endeavors.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tekmoetekmoe Posts: 16member
    the chances are very slim that you will get a 17" hi-res with any dead pixels. i say this because i have read numerous postings of other owners who have received theirs and have not found any dead pixels. i can also speak from my own experience as well. i'm on my second 17" hi-res. the first one had a warped/bent case. no dead pixels though. i took it back to the apple store and fought with them for about a half hour to let me exchange it because it was defective. they ended up doing so. after the exchage, i opened the new one in the store and made sure everything was ok. this one is perfect and there are no dead pixels!

go for it man!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post

the chances are very slim that you will get a 17" hi-res with any dead pixels. i say this because i have read numerous postings of other owners who have received theirs and have not found any dead pixels. i can also speak from my own experience as well. i'm on my second 17" hi-res. the first one had a warped/bent case. no dead pixels though. i took it back to the apple store and fought with them for about a half hour to let me exchange it because it was defective. they ended up doing so. after the exchage, i opened the new one in the store and made sure everything was ok. this one is perfect and there are no dead pixels!

go for it man!

How bent was it? I have a 15.4" and when I close it, one side of the top of the screen is touching the case while the other is about 5mm above the base. Is this normal? There is no real issue, but it does diminish the aesthetics a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

How bent was it? I have a 15.4" and when I close it, one side of the top of the screen is touching the case while the other is about 5mm above the base. Is this normal? There is no real issue, but it does diminish the aesthetics a bit.

yeah, that's how mine was also. but when i say bent/warped, i mean the bottom of the case. it was like a teeter totter. it did not sit flat.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

yeah, that's how mine was also. but when i say bent/warped, i mean the bottom of the case. it was like a teeter totter. it did not sit flat.

How about the new one. What is the screen like?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

How about the new one. What is the screen like?

the screen on the new one might sit about 2mm higher on the left side than on the right side. doesn't bother me at all.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

the screen on the new one might sit about 2mm higher on the left side than on the right side. doesn't bother me at all.

Thanx. Just didn't want to get something defective that although is not a problem now may become one in the future. Especially since I just spent 2K on it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Bent computers? Seems like Apple has some quality control issues...