MSFT to take a page from the Steve Jobs School of Marketing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://scobleizer.com/2007/06/28/get...how-get-fired/

Quote:

You can say a lot of things about Microsoft but one thing I came away with after my three years inside there is that it?s a learning company. I?m sure right now they are arguing out all sorts of things about the iPhone launch and thinking about how they will apply the lessons from this period in time to Microsoft.

I?m hearing from my friends on the Windows team that Steven Sinofsky and his team (Steven runs the Windows team) has made it clear he doesn?t want anyone talking about the next version of Windows. Hey, Steven is learning from Steve.

Wow I wonder just how far Microsoft will take this. This is a 180 degree change from the "I know %90 of Microsoft's next Windows version from the info on their website" scenario of yesterday.

Quote:

Have you noticed that no one has started talking about the next version of Windows? I have. That?s on purpose. They learned their lesson and realized that letting you see inside the meat factory is a little too messy for this new world of PR. Rather keep all that mess behind corporate walls and come out when something is actually finished.

Interesting. Who could have seen that the once derided secrecy of Apple is going to become the norm (potentially) or the blueprint for manufacturing hype. This isn't something you can do overnight. Microsoft will have to rethink how they feel about blogging and other ways of communication with the press and consumers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Have you noticed that no one has started talking about the next version of Windows?

True enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by microsoft.com

"We are not giving official guidance to the public yet about the next version of Windows, other than that we?re working on it. When we are ready, we will provide updates."

Last February billg started to talk about Vienna but he didn't reveal much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msnbc

So can you give us an indication of what the next Windows will be like?

Well, it will be more user-centric.

What does that mean?

In Vista things got a lot better with [digital] ink and speech but by the next release there will be a much bigger bet. Students won't need textbooks, they can just use these tablet devices. Parallel computing is pretty important for the next release. We'll make it so that a lot of the high-level graphics will be just built into the operating system. So we've got a pretty good outline.

• Reply 2 of 5
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I think they're just plumb out of ideas....
  • Reply 3 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Have you noticed that no one has started talking about the next version of Windows?

HELLO????? It's because they haven't seen Leopard yet.

• Reply 5 of 5
    Next Version of Windows??? Vista hasn't even been out a year. So when is this thing even going to come out, 2012?

I doubt they are even on page 1 of new ideas for Windows.

And who needs a new version of Windows anyways when you can drop $10,000 on a big ass table?