iTunes 7.3 supports iPhone, adds Apple TV photo streaming

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released iTunes 7.3, the latest version of its digital jukebox and media cataloging software. The new version adds support for iPhone and delivers photo streaming capabilities to Apple TV.

iTunes 7.3 lets you activate your iPhone service and will also sync the Apple mobile handset with your music, movies, TV shows, and more.

In addition, Apple said the new version allows Apple TV owners to wirelessly share digital photos from any computer in your home. The Apple digital media hub was previously limited to Photo syncing only.

iTunes 7.3 is available as a 33.8MB download for Macs and a 47.7MB download for Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    some interesting items in Localizable.strings:

/* ===== Mobile Phone Strings ===== */

"4301.136" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com…";

"4301.137" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";

"4301.138" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";

"4301.079" = "The mobile phone “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4320.300" = "iTunes has detected a Macintosh-formatted iPhone. You must restore this iPhone before you can use it on Windows.";

/* ===== iPhone Game Item Strings ===== */

"4329.001" = "Are you sure you want to remove the selected game from your iPhone?";

"4329.002" = "Are you sure you want to remove the selected games from your iPhone?";
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Do the movies and tv shows have to been purchased via iTunes, or will it sync any movie/tv show that you loaded in to iTunes, just like the music?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

"4329.001" = "Are you sure you want to remove the selected game from your iPhone?";

"4329.002" = "Are you sure you want to remove the selected games from your iPhone?";

Games!

I was wondering about that.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Coverflow now available for Podcasts. I was hoping for more iPhone-like coverflow, with Albums on the back, etc. Maybe in Leopard?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Do the movies and tv shows have to been purchased via iTunes, or will it sync any movie/tv show that you loaded in to iTunes, just like the music?

It will sync any video, as long as it's compatible with AppleTV.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

/* ===== Mobile Phone Strings ===== */

"4301.136" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com?";

"4301.137" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit?";

"4301.138" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit?";

"4301.079" = "The mobile phone ?^1? contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4320.300" = "iTunes has detected a Macintosh-formatted iPhone. You must restore this iPhone before you can use it on Windows.";

has anyone said whether the iphone does voice memos? And I'm asuuming games don't work because of their need for the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I like the new changes. It fixes alphabetical order of artists with "A ..." at the beginning (ie. A Day in Black in White is sorted in the Ds). It fixes the blurry cover flow controls. New buttons and such in the interface. Noice.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

I like the new changes. It fixes alphabetical order of artists with "A ..." at the beginning (ie. A Day in Black in White is sorted in the Ds). It fixes the blurry cover flow controls. New buttons and such in the interface. Noice.

Hh? Nike+ on the iPhone. I did not see that one coming.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0 View Post

Games!

I was wondering about that.

It'll probably just play iPod games for now (thus helping create a nice 'iPod/iPhone' platform for games), but geez, with that touchscreen, they could do some really nice stuff.

Such as original games based totally around innovative use of the Multitouch UI, or even ported-over Nintendo GameBoy Advance Games, using virtual GBA controls. The iPhone could be a sweet little gaming machine, if Apple emphasized that aspect of it at all.

• Reply 10 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

...And I'm asuuming games don't work because of their need for the scroll wheel.

I don't have any of the iPod games, but DO they need the scroll wheel? And even if they do, couldn't they just paint a virtual scroll wheel on the screen?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I don't have any of the iPod games, but DO they need the scroll wheel? And even if they do, couldn't they just paint a virtual scroll wheel on the screen?

They're also a different screen size. My guess is that they won't work at all, but they'll get some new ones for the iPhone soon. The scroll-wheel interface for games is just too constraining. I expect to see some really nice ideas, even on the web. I wonder if Lemmings will work.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Streaming photos they say.. I can't find any trace of such functionality in either iPhoto, iTunes or my AppleTV. What am I missing?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    And CoverFlow finally doesn't blur on GMA950 Macs.

/Adrian
  • Reply 14 of 23
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

And CoverFlow finally doesn't blur on GMA950 Macs.

/Adrian

It's about time!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    has this update caused itunes to re-optimise all of anyone else's photos? or is it just me?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It's about time!

Ditto.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ditto.

yep.

and the buttons are brighter. noticeably brighter. iTunes dipped into the gothic for three versions there... the selection/source bar on the left has a blue selector instead of black. and... cover flow works. I was hoping for something more, I just don't remember what it was now..
  • Reply 18 of 23
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Henriok View Post

Streaming photos they say.. I can't find any trace of such functionality in either iPhoto, iTunes or my AppleTV. What am I missing?

The Apple support discussions are saying you have to deregister and reregister an AppleTV with iTunes 7.3 before it'll give the streaming options.

I haven't tried myself - will look on the weekend :-/
  • Reply 19 of 23
    It wiped out a great deal of my artwork, but with a purpose.

a) It only deleted artwork on albums I bought from Zunior.com (no DRM mp3 albums of indie Canadian music).

b) Zunior files come with a PDF of the cover, which I then crop and turn into a PNG and drag/drop it onto the album in iTunes?I remain puzzled how iTunes only targeted some Zunior artwork for deletion considering I've dragged and dropped other PNGs onto other files.

Zunior files were tagged (by me) with Zunior in the comments field, but it seems petty of iTunes to target other music stores music.

c) If I had three Zunior albums from an artist, it took out two of them. If I had two it took out both or none. Single albums per artist seemed somewhat random, but with a bias towards stuff I bought earlier.

All in all I was seriously irritated, but at least I still had the PDFs and could re-crop/re-convert the artwork for all of them in around half an hour.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    narlynarly Posts: 1member
    be very careful with this release - especially if you have an Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) -draft n- and you run iTunes via USB HDD as this new version causes the USB drive to drop from the AEBS

i've had to go back to 7.1.059 in order for it all to work again

i won't be touching this for a while yet