Blu Ray drive- Quality

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my iMac built in dvd player looks, ok. just ok, its nowhere near my dvd player quality. most computer drives seem like this. if i were to buy a bd drive like external, or if in the future i ever did get a (non apple with a blu ray drive, would it be good hd quality playing a bluray disk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

my iMac built in dvd player looks, ok. just ok, its nowhere near my dvd player quality. most computer drives seem like this. if i were to buy a bd drive like external, or if in the future i ever did get a (non apple with a blu ray drive, would it be good hd quality playing a bluray disk.

It's not the drive, it's the display. So no, I don't think it would help all that much.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    uh, i really dont think my display looks that bad. its a new bloody 24" iMac. it has a good screen. playing movies just look like crap. its a reading slow thing, it looks great for everything else.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you want it to look like you are used to seeing it then you have to run the output through an actual SD television.

DVDs are made for NTSC Standard Def. Televisions.

If you buy a blu-ray drive, then the DVDs will look the same, but the Blu-Ray movies will look great because they are made for HD televisions, which is essentially what your display is.

DVDs are just 1s and 0s... and a blu-ray drive is going to read those 1s and 0s the same as all other dvd-drives.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

uh, i really dont think my display looks that bad. its a new bloody 24" iMac. it has a good screen. playing movies just look like crap. its a reading slow thing, it looks great for everything else.

It's very possible that what you are seeing is the difference between looking at a YUV (television color component) and RGB (LCD color component)

YUV is how televisions create color by using a Red signal, Blue Signal, and then a brightness/Green signal. When you make the screen brighter is changes the color scope because you are moving the luminance(brightness/green)

RGB is a Red Signal, Blue Signal, and Green signal all different with a brightness control that is different as well.

If you are seeing color differences this is why, but if you mean that the video is pixilated in any way or the video is running slow, then this is probably not going to help much.