iphone is out so the imac countdown begins?!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
surely?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I would agree, we know somethings coming soon. Ill just keep waiting.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    They still make imacs!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    27 days.

(yay post count=100. only 900 to go before i can get a clever user status)
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

27 days.

27 days? What makes you say 27 days?

Personally, I think it's going to be at Apple Expo, so how many days is that? *fishes for a calendar* 88. I'm guessing 88 days.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    1 thing for sure is somethings up, cant keep making the same thing forever in computerland. Im thinkin it will be iphone like, little more trimmer then current double chin iMac and they will get away from white. Also 17" seems a lil small these days but with them killing the Mini perhaps a all new line up?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

27 days? What makes you say 27 days?

Personally, I think it's going to be at Apple Expo, so how many days is that? *fishes for a calendar* 88. I'm guessing 88 days.

Because I wanted to confuse people like you. I actually have no information that would lead me to believe this other than the article that said July/August, and 27 days would but it in the middle of that time range. I think that they will do it sooner than Apple Expo so it can be out for the fall semester. Just my 5¢ worth.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    dammit, i just want SOMETHING, anything! i could just buy now, but i don't want 9 month old technology.... i could do without the latest latest, but i want something fairly up to date \
  • Reply 8 of 34
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    I think the iMacs are ready to go, but they didn't want to preempt the iPhone. I would guess they're coming in a week or two. if you're going to buy an iMac, and don't need it this week, I'd wait if I were you. If this were a human birth, you can just start to see their heads...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't care when it comes out as long as it comes with an optional Multi-touch keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't care when it comes out as long as it comes with an optional Multi-touch keyboard.

how does a multi-touch keyboard work?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

you can create CAPITAL characters in your word processing files by pressing your <shift> and <character key>... get this... at the same time!

truly revolutionary and atleast five years ahead of its time.

kcd
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I think the iMacs are ready to go, but they didn't want to preempt the iPhone. I would guess they're coming in a week or two. if you're going to buy an iMac, and don't need it this week, I'd wait if I were you. If this were a human birth, you can just start to see their heads...

I'd like to hear your analogy for the headless mac...

kcd
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

I don't know..

but I could quite easily imagineer an answer though

It's a screen roughly 17" by 4 and a half inches. It sits at an angle of about 15º. It has a 160ppi display. It is capable of displaying any image or set of UI buttons imaginable. It's button configuration can changes for each application. Its keyboard buttons can be hidden. When you come back from lunch it either reads; "You have 2 new email messages. Read now or Later". Or; "You have no friends" You can choose your keyboard layout in preferences. It eliminates the need for a mouse, as dragging your finger across its display (even over its on-screen keyboard) moves your Mac's mouse-cursor. And that's only half of what it does.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios View Post

you can create CAPITAL characters in your word processing files by pressing your <shift> and <character key>... get this... at the same time!

truly revolutionary and atleast five years ahead of its time.

kcd

Well played.

Quote:

I don't know..

but I could quite easily imagineer an answer though

It's a screen roughly 17" by 4 and a half inches. It sits at an angle of about 15º. It has a 160ppi display. It is capable of displaying any image or set of UI buttons imaginable. The way it looks changes for each application. Its keyboard buttons can be hidden. When could come back from lunch it reads either; "You have 2 new email messages. Read now or Later". Or; "You have no friends" You can choose your keyboard layout in preferences. It eliminates the need for a mouse, as dragging your finger across its display (even over its on-screen keyboard) moves your Mac's mouse-cursor. And that's only half of what it does.

So basically like a big iPhone with a monitor hooked up to it?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

kcd

Hahahahaha

I would put my bets for late July for the update (24th ?)
  • Reply 16 of 34
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

kcd

If only the Mac Mini had a head we would hear its death cries as its final spasms of life flicker into EOL nothingess. In lieu of flowers, Apple TV, the Mac Mini's only surviving child, has requested HD Content be sent over iTunes to underserved high resolution TV screens in their vicinity.

(granted, that may be more of a mixed metaphor than an analogy. But hey, for those of you who may know, I'm a cat, and therefore get linguistic leeway in lieu of opposable thumbs).
  • Reply 17 of 34
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    22" 1680 x 1050

Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

320 GB HDD

Latest GPU

$1499

27" 1600 x 1200

Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

Latest GPU

$1999

and 30" ???
  • Reply 18 of 34
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

No, it'll be longer than two weeks... the RDF still hasn't worn off, and won't by then. (perhaps because of partnered AT&T broadcasts?) Expect a month of nothing, except possibly a few new iPhone accessories and/or software updates. I see the iMac coming, at the earliest, very late July, or more likely early August.

Quote:

It's a screen roughly 17" by 4 and a half inches. It sits at an angle of about 15º. It has a 160ppi display. It is capable of displaying any image or set of UI buttons imaginable. The way it looks changes for each application. Its keyboard buttons can be hidden. When could come back from lunch it reads either; "You have 2 new email messages. Read now or Later". Or; "You have no friends" You can choose your keyboard layout in preferences. It eliminates the need for a mouse, as dragging your finger across its display (even over its on-screen keyboard) moves your Mac's mouse-cursor. And that's only half of what it does.

Sure, it's easy to imagine this and create the image of this keyboard in your head, and it'd be relatively easy to have a demo model for display purposes... but take a moment to think about all that would go into developing this. For your idea of having the keyboard change for each app, every single developer who's made/makes Mac software would have to redevelop their software for a completely new interface, including the second display for the keyboard. The input is completely different from a mouse w/ keyboard, and would cause many headaches for people to learn the new coding and methods and having to grasp this new input. Also, how many people are really going to have this technology? Many companies might not see it as worthwhile to pay a team to learn or hire a brand new team who knows Multi-touch. Combined with the aforementioned difficulties for developers, many, many people will dismiss it.

Also, there wouldn't be a cursor on a multi-touch monitor (if there ever is one). A touch implies a click. If you dragged your finger on the screen, not only would the cursor follow, but it would also select and drag whatever was under it. With multi-touch, there is no way to move the mouse without a selection implication. The point is that the cursor is eliminated. Ultimately, your finger is basically the cursor. it's just like the iPhone. no cursor - your finger does the moving and selecting, as the mouse once did.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

22" 1680 x 1050

Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

320 GB HDD

Latest GPU

$1499

27" 1600 x 1200

Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

Latest GPU

$1999

and 30" ???

1900 x 1200 for the 27"??? I think/hope that's what you meant.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue

Sure, it's easy to imagine this and create the image of this keyboard in your head, and it'd be relatively easy to have a demo model for display purposes... but take a moment to think about all that would go into developing this. For your idea of having the keyboard change for each app, every single developer who's made/makes Mac software would have to redevelop their software for a completely new interface, including the second display for the keyboard.

I said it could change, not that it has to. Developers could develop as they were doing all along. Anyway I'm sure Apple would provide strict guidelines for developers who felt like getting creative, to stick to.

Quote:

Also, there wouldn't be a cursor on a multi-touch monitor.

The cursor would be on the iMac's monitor, and your finger movements on the multi-touch keyboard would correspond to the mouse, they could even set the right-hand-side (or left, depending) of the keyboard to mouse movements. The whole point of a screen is the layout can be changed with software, and it could make software suites like iLife and iWork a heck of a lot more powerful, for the average user and pro alike. Imagine you jump into iWork and all the inspector options replace your F-keys, you jump out into a different app and they're gone again, replaced by something else, all instantaneously - Boom! You never have to look for an inspector again, they are all there for you.

Quote:

(if there ever is one). A touch implies a click.

No, a touch implies a touch. A tap implies a click, and a tap with two fingers could imply a right-click. It's all about making the computer easier to use, if Apple attempted something like this, you can bet it would be cohesive and user-friendly.

Quote:

If you dragged your finger on the screen, not only would the cursor follow, but it would also select and drag whatever was under it.

Again, they (Apple) could make it (if they wanted to) act only as a drag-action when a second finger is added.

Where there's a will, there's a way.