I'm searching for "Google-Find as you type" Application

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello everyone!

A few years ago, probably on 10.2, I used a freeware application which had a very mac-like interface to search on google.

You could choose either site or image results and then type in your search request. It would then list results just as you type.

It eventually disappeared completely and I even forgot it's name by now.

(It must have had Google in it's name)

Hopefully someone remembers this application and can tell me who developed it.

I would be very thankful!

Cheers from Switzerland

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Was this a Widget? Why don't you simply use the Google bar in Safari?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
    Hi SpamSandwich

Thanks for your answer!

It was a real standalone application and it was packed with a lot of Quartz Effects. I even think it was a huge memory hog.

I use and will continue to use the usual Google Bar in Safari. But the app has something I miss, so I'm desperately searching since quite a while but i don't find any trace of it anymore.

For what I know, Google does not like apps that do regular queries on their servers... so maybe that's why the app disappeared but it still must have some traces somewhere?

Grüsse

Chris
  • Reply 3 of 4
    There's a plugin called Inquisitor for Safari and Camino (I think), which changes the Google bar to be a search as you type, with a drop down list of results. It also has some more advanced features such as quickly searching different sites. It was pay for at version 2, but is now free.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
    Hi Daniel!

You can't imagine how I feel right now. Inquisitor is exactly the app I searched for!

Inquisitor formerly was a standalone application and apparently migrated to the toolbar-function.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by From Version Tracker Archives

From Version Tracker Archives:

Inquisitor is a web search application that delivers results in real-time, as-you-type the query. It features support for Google, news, images, products, and reference queries. It's most standout feature, though, is its dynamic, animated user interface that just screams Aqua.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Today

Inquisitor... it's like Spotlight for the web.

Start typing and websites pop up immediately, along with ideas to refine your search.

It'll autocomplete your words (is it reading your mind?) and you can add more search engines to Safari with customized keyboard shortcuts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull View Post

There's a plugin called Inquisitor for Safari and Camino (I think), which changes the Google bar to be a search as you type, with a drop down list of results. It also has some more advanced features such as quickly searching different sites. It was pay for at version 2, but is now free.