Definitely HAVE to buy ATT contract to use ALL iphone features

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was in the Soho store today for the grand iphone opening. Got to ask the sales staff if you had to buy the ATT 2 year contract. They said yes....not only that, but ALL iphone features including ipod and wifi are locked UNTIL the ATT contract is activated.

I was going to buy an iphone before I went to Taiwan for a year. Even if I couldn't use the phone over there, I was going to use it as an ipod and for wifi web surfing since the entire island is wired.

But no dice. Its official. The iphone will not work AT ALL....unless you activate the ATT contract.

Too bad.

Perhaps the next video ipod will have the same touch screen with wifi capabilities...but without a phone.

Now THAT would be cool.

Any hoo.

Peace out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Wasn't all this confirmed right on Apples web site when the price plans when live?!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Not so specifically no they weren't.

Nowhere on apple's website do they say ALL features of iphone are inactive unless you have a valid att contract.

Which is to say that not only can you NOT use wifi or EVEN your ipod features on the iphone without activating your att contract....but lets say you miss a monthly payment for whatever reason....ALL your iphone features will NOT WORK.

So you'll basically have a very expensive paper weight on your hands.

I just think its really bogus that apple FORCES you to have an active att contract to even use the ipod and wifi features. They should be TOTALLY seperate!

And I think its really lame they dont have a "pay as you go plan" for the budget concious and for those like myself who travel so much, not being locked into a contract is a tremendous plus.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Not so specifically no they weren't. Nowhere on apple's website do they say ALL features of iphone are inactive unless you have a valid att contract.

HUH?!?!!?

Here's what the Apple web site stated AS SOON AS THE RATE PLANS WENT UP and this text wasn't ADDED LATER (as I'm sure you'll claim) it was on the site the same day the plan went up...

Quote:

"Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."

How MORE SPECIFIC would you want it? They were gonna put this up but they thought it was too over the top...

Quote:

"HEY DUMMY THE iPHONE WILL NOT DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ACTIVATE IT WITH AT&T"

Dave

P.S. Don't believe me... well here's a post from June 26th that quotes the same text... LINK!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Quote:

... to use ALL iphone features

More like if you to use ANY features.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    well i guess i saw the webpage BEFORE it was updated.

But that doesn't take away from the suck factor.

it sucks that you are FORCED to sign up for a 2 year friggin contract. It sucks that there is no pay as you go option.

It sucks.

But I still dig it.

I am a die hard apple head. Always was always will be.

But i also think its good to balance out the insane religious fervor that has gripped everyone...and point out things that could have been done better.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Well that text was up the day the AT&T rate plan was posted to Apples iPhone page...

As for it SUCKING... I don't disagree.... but around here to those who have been following the iPhone it's been common knowledge since Tuesday that you wouldn't be allowed to buy it and use it as an 'expensive iPod'...

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 13
    well then....heres to hoping that the next "video" ipod has the same touch widescreen and wifi features that the iphone has.

That way, for those that dont need a phone...can have some of the same cool features.

But i dont think apple will do this for awhile as it may canabalize sales.

but obviously they'll have to EVENTUALLY go in that direction.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

well i guess i saw the webpage BEFORE it was updated.

it sucks that you are FORCED to sign up for a 2 year friggin contract. It sucks that there is no pay as you go option.

It sucks.

But I still dig it.

I am a die hard apple head. Always was always will be.

But i also think its good to balance out the insane religious fervor that has gripped everyone...and point out things that could have been done better.

You can terminate the plan within 30 days of signing up without paying the ETF. You can also terminate the plan within 36 hours and get refunded the activation fee.

Why not activate the iPhone, then once the iPhone is working, terminate the ATT plan?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Why not activate the iPhone, then once the iPhone is working, terminate the ATT plan?

Now there's a thinkin man!

I see no reason why that wouldn't work *and* then you'd have the 'iPod' part of the iPhone at your disposal... (unless when syncing with iTunes it somehow 're-locks it up tight' seeing that the account was canceled... That would suck... Hmm I wonder how closely tied iTunes is with AT&T ... I'd imagine it isn't but you can never tell.. I'm sure Apple want to be kept abreast of all account statuses so they know what revenue they would be expecting to have a share in (whatever their deal is with AT&T)

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Now there's a thinkin man!

I see no reason why that wouldn't work *and* then you'd have the 'iPod' part of the iPhone at your disposal... (unless when syncing with iTunes it somehow 're-locks it up tight' seeing that the account was canceled... That would suck... Hmm I wonder how closely tied iTunes is with AT&T ... I'd imagine it isn't but you can never tell.. I'm sure Apple want to be kept abreast of all account statuses so they know what revenue they would be expecting to have a share in (whatever their deal is with AT&T)

Dave

I asked them that at the genius bar in soho....they said if you terminate the service, the ipod won't recognize the other features. You HAVE to have a current ATT plan to use the iphone period.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

I asked them that at the genius bar in soho....they said if you terminate the service, the ipod won't recognize the other features. You HAVE to have a current ATT plan to use the iphone period.

Wow. If this is the case, I may need to rethink keeping my the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

I am posting this message with no SIM card installed. The iPhone told me there was no SIM and couldn't connect to EDGE but it detected my WiFi and started working on that connection.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I am posting this message with no SIM card installed. The iPhone told me there was no SIM and couldn't connect to EDGE but it detected my WiFi and started working on that connection.

My Nokia 6600--admitedly ancient--won't work at all without a Sim installed. Can't use a single feature.